Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Just a quick update for the sake of completeness. Built using Pi4b (2GB), Hifiberry DAC+ Pro, Heatsink and Hifiberry acrylic case.

Name:  Pi4Dac.jpg
Views: 631
Size:  233.7 KB

It all works a treat with LMS and local music library on a (tiny) 64GB usb drive. Really quite impressed.

As for temperatures, it seems to stay around 53C when idle and reaches about 59C when library scanning, so I'm content with that.

Silverstone have just released an all alloy case for the Pi4:

https://www.silverstonetek.com/produ...id=904&area=en

Quote Originally Posted by Heuer View Post
    Silverstone have just released an all alloy case for the Pi4:
    Nice, but I don't think it will acommodate a HAT.

The 3A is great

Name:  P_20200619_121453.jpg
Views: 546
Size:  229.5 KB
    Just built my second player using a 3A+. It's perfect with the smartipi, as you can see the USB flirc receiver hides nicely.
    Maybe the 3A should get more attention

Pi Zero W in Flirc case - 3 x 7 cm
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    LMS server: O2 Joggler with Jivelite, Pi Zero W with PcP 6.0

Amp: Denon PMA-50

Players/Speakers: Touch, Logitech Radios, Sonos Play 1s & Beam, Libratone Zipp, GGMM E2 & E3, Yamaha WXAD-010, Loewe Airspeaker, Google Chromecast Audio, Home Mini & Nest Hub, Amazon Echo 2,3 and Show5, Pioneer WX-SMA1, Roberts S1, O2 Joggler, Cisco Joggler, Fiio M6, Avantree Priva BT transmitter

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Definitely the 4 over the 3B - you'll notice the speed improvement - and the price hike is negligable, along with the heat consumption. Heat was a problem with the Pi 4 at launch, but no longer, after firmware updates. I'd suggest 2GB is fine, too.

I've been running piCorePlayer + LMS + player on a 3B+ for a couple of years. Just recently replaced it with a 4 just because I could. The speed increase is tangible - library scans are twice as fast and the interface is noticably snappier. I also recently moved from using my NAS to having a local 512GB USB drive, which is also faster in the USB 3 socket in the Pi 4 - you'll get a similar benefit if you're using an SSD. With the same model case, both the 3B+ and the 4 run at similar temperatures - if anything, the 4 looks fractionally cooler.

Mine is housed in the minimal Aluminium Armour heatsink case, which I'm a big fan of. To date, I've always used the internal audio from the 3.5mm jack. Admittedly a hat would be awkward, but I'm going to have a play with a USB DAC (Behringer UCA202, which I've had great results with from a laptop).
    Server: LMS 8.1.1 on piCorePlayer 7.0.0 on Pi 4B 2GB with library on 512GB USB drive
    Listening on: 2 x Squeezebox Radios 8.0.1 , and direct from the Pi using a Behringer UCA202 USB audio interface

Quote Originally Posted by AlecSp View Post
    With the same model case, both the 3B+ and the 4 run at similar temperatures - if anything, the 4 looks fractionally cooler.
    piCorePlayer with LMS seems to be much work for the Pi 4 4GB. Mine is running normally at 44░C in the Argon One case.
    An installation of Home Assistant which is doing really more is running at 36░C in the same case.
    Both have a fan, but it is normally switched off, I only let it run when there temperature is above 50░C. Really great is that you have all connectors on the same side and you have a power button to let the Pi correctly shutdown and switch off the power (this is working fine with piCorePlayer thanks to the help in this great forum! Using Argon One case with fan and powerbutton together with piCorePlayer?)
    Pi4 4GB piCorePlayer with LMS and Squeezelite for USB inside an Argon One case
    Pi3B+ (7" Display, Hifiberry DAC+ Pro) piCorePlayer with Squeezlite/Jivelite for Hifiberry and Bluetooth headphone inside a SmartiPi touch case
    Two Airport Express
    Ikea Symfonisk

If RPF ever decide to release the board for the Pi 400 (the Pi in a keyboard) as a separate product I think it could be popular.
    RPi4 performance but with all connectors on one side. Some drawbacks (e.g. no DSI screen connector and one USB port stolen for special Pi 400 keyboard connector) but it could be a useful board for embedding in things.

Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, Supla Finland, ABC Australia, CBC/Radio-Canada and RTE Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by gvh View Post
    Name:  P_20200619_121453.jpg
Views: 546
Size:  229.5 KB
    Just built my second player using a 3A+. It's perfect with the smartipi, as you can see the USB flirc receiver hides nicely.
    I like that case. Is it ready to play music faster with the 3A+ than an original touch would be?

Quote Originally Posted by gvh View Post
    The Pi 3A has no ethernet I think.
    How are Wifi and Bluetooth working together? Is it possible, because I want to attach a Bluetooth Headphone also to the Pi.
    Pi4 4GB piCorePlayer with LMS and Squeezelite for USB inside an Argon One case
    Pi3B+ (7" Display, Hifiberry DAC+ Pro) piCorePlayer with Squeezlite/Jivelite for Hifiberry and Bluetooth headphone inside a SmartiPi touch case
    Two Airport Express
    Ikea Symfonisk