Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

PiCorePlayer with LMS - Which Pi?

I want to build a Pi based player with LMS and local usb for music library. I will probably buy a Hifiberry DAC +pro as well. The question is should I go for a Pi4B or Pi3B. I am concerned about the over heating issues with the Pi4B and with the DAC installed I can't see a suitable case with cooling option (other than heat syncs) that will fit, hence the question should I just go for a Pi3B. Or am I just overthinking this?

My instinct is to go the more powerful Pi4B since audio streaming from local storage shouldn't be very stressful on the cpu.

What do people think - all advice gratefully received.

Many thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by CloudAtlas View Post
    I want to build a Pi based player with LMS and local usb for music library. I will probably buy a Hifiberry DAC +pro as well. The question is should I go for a Pi4B or Pi3B. I am concerned about the over heating issues with the Pi4B and with the DAC installed I can't see a suitable case with cooling option (other than heat syncs) that will fit, hence the question should I just go for a Pi3B. Or am I just overthinking this?

My instinct is to go the more powerful Pi4B since audio streaming from local storage shouldn't be very stressful on the cpu.

What do people think - all advice gratefully received.

Many thanks.
    Suitable cases for a Pi4 plus HAT DACs are a problem, are there any?

I would go for a Pi4 as LMS server only, and a Pi3B+ for your player/DAC.

Of course the P13B+/DAC/USB HDD used as LMS server/player is more than sufficient. But these things breed, you'll want more!
    Server - LMS 8.0.0 Pi4B 4GB/Flirc case/pCP 6.1.0 18K library, playlists & LMS cache on SSD (ntfs)
    Study - Pi3B+/pCP 5.0.0/pi screen/HiFiBerry DAC+/jivelite,
    Lounge - Pi2/pCP 5.0.0 > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > AudioEngine DAC1 > AVI DM5
    Dining Room - Squeezebox Boom
    Garage - Squeezebox Touch > Edifier R980T

Spares - 1xTouch, 1xSB3, 1xRadio, 7xRPi

Quote Originally Posted by kidstypike View Post
    Suitable cases for a Pi4 plus HAT DACs are a problem, are there any?

I would go for a Pi4 as LMS server only, and a Pi3B+ for your player/DAC.

Of course the P13B+/DAC/USB HDD used as LMS server/player is more than sufficient. But these things breed, you'll want more!
    agree. I've used pi3B+ with hifiberry DAC+ Hat, both inside a metal case with no fan, running LMS with 4TB USB drive attached and serving as a player. Works great. More recently, I've setup a couple of rPi4B with flirc case and USB drives, just for running LMS (no Hats). My rPi4B in flirc case runs much cooler than the 3B+ with DAC+hat inside case.
    Home: VBA 4TB (2.5) or rPi4B/pCP6.0/4TB>LMS 7.9.3>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4) or rPi4B/pCP6.0/4TB>LMS 7.9.1>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet, Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>LMS 7.9.3>Squeezelite
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP4.0, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir2 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: ripping: dbpa > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

The faster CPU of the RPi4 will make LMS faster. As mentioned above, a RPi3 should do the job just fine. 1 GB of RAM should suffice, but 2 GB is better.

/Claus

I don't think there's really a problem with heat and RPi4s these days after the firmware updates (mine runs LMS and some other stuff, and runs quite cool), so just go for the RPi4 and future proof yourself a bit.

Many thanks to all for your thoughts. The reason I was going for an all in one box (Pi, Dac, LMS) is for simplicity of deployment as I'm building it and setting up for a friend. I might go for a Pi4B, set it all up and see how it goes heat-wise and if there appears to be a problem, I'll get a Pi3b and keep the Pi4B for myself. Sound like a plan?
    Last edited by CloudAtlas; 2020-06-06 at 13:41.

I put my RPI4 in a FLIRC case and installed a small fan. The temp stay right about 35-37 degrees. I don;t think temps are really an issue.

Bests,

Howard

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Passman View Post
    I put my RPI4 in a FLIRC case and installed a small fan. The temp stay right about 35-37 degrees. I don;t think temps are really an issue.

Bests,

Howard
    my rPi4B(4GB) in a FLIRC case (and *no* fan) runs between 42 and 45 degrees. My 3B+ with DIGI HAT in metal case (no fan), runs between 60 and 70 I recall. So no heat issue whatsoever with the rPi4.
    Last edited by garym; 2020-06-13 at 04:37.
    Home: VBA 4TB (2.5) or rPi4B/pCP6.0/4TB>LMS 7.9.3>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4) or rPi4B/pCP6.0/4TB>LMS 7.9.1>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet, Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>LMS 7.9.3>Squeezelite
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP4.0, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir2 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: ripping: dbpa > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

Rpi3 in metal case only lms runs at 46c 24/7
    SqueezeBoxes: 1x Transporter (Living room) 1x SB2 (shed), 1x Radio (Kitchen), 1x Boom (Dining room), 1x piCorePlayer (jacuzzi), 1x piCorePlayer (Garden) 1x OSMC + Squeezelite (Movie room), 1x Touch (Study 2), few spare unit's
    Server: LMS on Pi3 7.9.1. on PcP 3.21
    Network: AVM Fritzbox, Netgear Smart Switch 24p, 3x Ubiquity

My 2gb RAM Pi4b is running LMS and Squeezelite. It's in a flirc case. The files are on my Synology NAS. The DAC is a UGREEN USB audio adapter, outputs to Denon integrated's aux input.