Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by radish112 View Post
    Using Putty on my Windows 10 computer, I enter the IP address, and a Putty window opens. But no information request appears regarding "host key" or "no matching key exchange method found", etc.

What I get instead is "Network Error: Connection timed out."
    Sounds like there is no connectivity from the Windows system to the Touch.

You can confirm this by opening a windows command prompt and trying a ping command e.g. ping 192.168.86.39

What is the IP address of the Windows system ?
    Is the Windows system using a wired or wireless connection ?

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    Sounds like there is no connectivity from the Windows system to the Touch.

You can confirm this by opening a windows command prompt and trying a ping command e.g. ping 192.168.86.39

What is the IP address of the Windows system ?
    Is the Windows system using a wired or wireless connection ?
    bpa,

Here's what pinging 192.168.86.39 (the Touch) from my Windows machine shows:

Pinging 192.168.86.39 with 32 bytes of data:
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Reply from 192.168.86.21: Destination host unreachable.
    Reply from 192.168.86.21: Destination host unreachable.

Ping statistics for 192.168.86.39:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 2, Lost = 2 (50% loss),

The IP for the Windows machine is 192.168.86.21
    It is wirelessly connected to my network. I've got a nearby switch into which I can make a wired connection if it will provide diagnostic help.

I don't know if it matters, but if you haven't followed this whole sorry saga you may be assuming that LMS is running on my Windows machine, whereas it is on a VortexBox "appliance" that is connected to my router via Ethernet.

Oops...Minutes before I did the ping I had unplugged the Touch.

After plugging it back in and doing a ping, here is what I get (if it makes any difference)
    Pinging 192.168.86.39 with 32 bytes of data:
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 192.168.86.39:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

I don't know if it matters, but if you haven't followed this whole sorry saga you may be assuming that LMS is running on my Windows machine, whereas it is on a VortexBox "appliance" that is connected to my router via Ethernet.
    I had guessed that as I think Vortex is not Windows based.

What devices are on wifi and what devices are wired ?

After plugging in a device - you should check that IP address hasn't changed ?

I can't find a manual for a Google Nest router - can it list off all the devices that are connected to it ?

I had guessed that as I think Vortex is not Windows based.

What devices are on wifi and what devices are wired ?

After plugging in a device - you should check that IP address hasn't changed ?

I can't find a manual for a Google Nest router - can it list off all the devices that are connected to it ?
    Yep, you're right about the Vortexbox: It is Linux based.

The Google Nest WiFi router has only a single Ethernet port. So at the moment I have a ethernet cable going from that port to a Netgear switch into which I have only the Vortexbox connected. When I was testing to see if the Touch would connect via ethernet, I connected it to the switch too. I have since unplugged it to do numerous tries at connecting wirelessly.

Yes, the router can list off all the devices that are connected to it. In my case:
    My Pixel 3a phone
    Squeezebox Radio
    Squeezebox Touch
    Chromecast Audio "pucks" - 3 of them
    Amazon Fire tablet
    iPad
    Windows computer
    HP printer
    Vortexbox
    Raspberry pi - 2 of them running LMS
    Roku device

Reviewing all of the devices just now I see that the Vortexbox is, as noted, the only one with a wired connection.

If it helps for me to unplug and plug a device (wired Vortexbox? one of the wireless devices?) to see if the IP address changes, I can to that.

bpa, you've done a day's work. Feel free to throw in the towel any time you like.

What I wrote about the rpis was misleading. They are not running LMS, they are accessing the LMS that resides on the Vortexbox.

Yep, you're right about the Vortexbox: It is Linux based.

The Google Nest WiFi router has only a single Ethernet port. So at the moment I have a ethernet cable going from that port to a Netgear switch into which I have only the Vortexbox connected. When I was testing to see if the Touch would connect via ethernet, I connected it to the switch too. I have since unplugged it to do numerous tries at connecting wirelessly.

Yes, the router can list off all the devices that are connected to it. In my case:
    My Pixel 3a phone
    Squeezebox Radio
    Squeezebox Touch
    Chromecast Audio "pucks" - 3 of them
    Amazon Fire tablet
    iPad
    Windows computer
    HP printer
    Vortexbox
    Raspberry pi - 2 of them running LMS
    Roku device

Reviewing all of the devices just now I see that the Vortexbox is, as noted, the only one with a wired connection.

If it helps for me to unplug and plug a device (wired Vortexbox? one of the wireless devices?) to see if the IP address changes, I can to that.

bpa, you've done a day's work. Feel free to throw in the towel any time you like.
    You have checked the conection of the switch and the Nest. Just looking at online instruction - if Switch has uplink port cable from it goes into "brown" Nest connection and ISP modem connection goes into "green" Nest Connection.

Windows is on wifi as well as Touch ?

Does the router have "AP Isolation" mode ? This would prevent two devices on wifi talking to each othert ?

You have checked the conection of the switch and the Nest. Just looking at online instruction - if Switch has uplink port cable from it goes into "brown" Nest connection and ISP modem connection goes into "green" Nest Connection.

Windows is on wifi as well as Touch ?

Does the router have "AP Isolation" mode ? This would prevent two devices on wifi talking to each othert ?
    The modem is an ARRIS Touchstone DG1670, provided by my ISP, Spectrum.

I did a quick search of my PDF of the User's Guide and found no mention of the terms "isolation" or "isolate."

The switch is a simple Netgear GS605 unmanaged switch, with 5 ethernet ports and no "uplink port."

Yep, my Windows laptop computer is on WiFi as is the Touch.

bpa,

I see you were referring to the router's isolation mode, not the modem's. I'm out of it, and I'll try to check tomorrow.

I have a televisit with my Dr. in 30 mins. I'm going to take a break.

Go do something fun. I'll stop hounding you. If you have further insights or questions for me tomorrow, I'm all ears (It's just what's between the ears that's lacking).

Cheers,

Steve

The switch is a simple Netgear GS605 unmanaged switch, with 5 ethernet ports and no "uplink port."
    I had one of these - they have a Auto Uplink feature which learns which port has the uplink cable - IIRC in practice this means while unit is powered on make sure the uplink cable never changes port. No harm in unplugging it just in case it is not switching properly.[/quote]

Yep, my Windows laptop computer is on WiFi as is the Touch.
    Can the Windows computer ping other devices on the wifi ? This will check if there is "AP Isolation" or not.