Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    You mean 2 variants for the serial to usb?

I have been fiddling with a battery in diverse setups today. Maybe it's me but the back button also seems to be responding. Could the central rotary knob be faulty because there seems to be no life there?

Quote Originally Posted by MPO View Post
    You mean 2 variants for the serial to usb?
    Yes serial signal level can be 3.3v or 5v - if you use 5v on a circuit expecting 3.3v - it'll kill the chips.

Ok, clear thanks.
    Need to collect some courage before starting the serial quest.

What about changing the rotary encoder of the central knob? Probably a no go as it soldered in detail to the mainboard...

Ok, clear thanks.
    Need to collect some courage before starting the serial quest.

What about changing the rotary encoder of the central knob? Probably a no go as it soldered in detail to the mainboard...
    I personally have no idea, because I have no idea what's afoot, and I've never tinkered inside. Some on this forum will have done, though.

My very tentative speculation was that communication with the MSP430 might have become a casualty of a catastrophe that also took down the power supply. But that could be way off track, far too speculative at this point, really.

But it is why my first port of call would be the UART, "calm" the watchdog, which would require some study of the source code, and then seeing what the logs show.

There again, perhaps a physical examination of the innards should be my first port of call. Perhaps not so much courage required there, unless you share in my ham fistedness.

Quote Originally Posted by mrw View Post
    There again, perhaps a physical examination of the innards should be my first port of call. Perhaps not so much courage required there, unless you share in my ham fistedness.
    Good point. See pics, no obvious problems here (no arc marks, burn spots or burn smells...).

As I'm no programming expert, especially within the 20 secs mark I guess this machine will be a donor (screen, speakers, buttons all in mint condition..)

thanks for your help!
    Name:  IMG_20200606_152609.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  92.6 KB
    Name:  Naamloos.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  120.4 KB

Good point. See pics, no obvious problems here (no arc marks, burn spots or burn smells...).

As I'm no programming expert, especially within the 20 secs mark I guess this machine will be a donor (screen, speakers, buttons all in mint condition..)
    It may just be the lighting, but that right hand 220uH power inductor, just above the capacitor in the lower picture, looks decidedly sooty from here. Others on this forum will have more experience than me in assessing these things.

I've ordered up a connector that looks as if it fits the battery pack header, and I have an idea on how one might quickly tame the watchdog. I'll post back with any result.

It may just be the lighting, but that right hand 220uH power inductor, just above the capacitor in the lower picture, looks decidedly sooty from here. Others on this forum will have more experience than me in assessing these things.
    Well spotted, although it did not strike me when looking at the print.
    Not sure what the function of this inductor is but would this lead to an (internal) power drop forcing the reboot?

I've ordered up a connector that looks as if it fits the battery pack header, and I have an idea on how one might quickly tame the watchdog. I'll post back with any result.
    Cool, thanks! Very interested to hear the results!

Just had another quick view inside. It was a lighting/shading thing; All inductors look similar and fine...

I believe that the onboard MSP430 chip is responsible for gathering up knobs/buttons/remote input. So perhaps you are seeing a soft or hard failure of the MSP430.
    This is incorrect. The MSP430 chip only appears to handle rotation of the volume and jog wheels. Key presses, and pressing the volume and jog wheels, is handled through other means. Original post corrected.

Cool, thanks! Very interested to hear the results!
    Results very good.

The Radio's battery connector is from the JST PHD series. I acquired the 10 pin housing and some pre-crimped tails from Conrad. (The terminals are too small/non-standard for my "crimper").

Housing: https://www.conrad.com/p/jst-phdr-10...ils-3-a-740140
    Tails: https://www.conrad.com/p/jst-pre-fab...2-1-pcs-715168

I dare say you might find something else that will fit. The housing plugs on my radios are probably clones...

I can confirm the wiring up. (As reported here: https://web.archive.org/web/20160304.../92-squeezebox).
    I don't think you'd be using the 3.3V line with a conventional serial to usb cable, but I use it with my set up.

Check all voltages before making connections ! A 5V cable would be a very bad idea, as @bpa has remarked.

There's plenty of information on the internet on the matter, so study it if you are uncertain.

Confirmatory photograph attached.

After a good deal of chatter you'll be seeing:
    Code:
    BMI Write Memory (address: 0x500418, value: 0x52d8bc)
    BMI Bit-Wise (OR) modify Register (address: 0x500410, orig:0x0, new: 0x1,  mask:0x1)
    BMI Done
    [   14.941937] AR6000 Reg Code = 0x40000060

Selected interface 'eth1'
    root: wlan started
    Starting SqueezePlay

Please press Enter to activate this console. udhcpc (v1.18.2) started
    killall: zcip: no process killed
    Sending discover...

Squeezeplay 7.7.3 r16676
    Sending discover...
    [   22.316822] channel hint set to 2437
    "Please press Enter to activate this console" is your trigger. Press enter as requested, and you'll be in a busybox shell.

All being well, you could (reasonably swiftly) paste in the following one-liner to de-fang the watchdog:

Code:
    printf "#!/bin/sh\nexit 0\n" >/var/repair.sh;chmod +x /var/repair.sh;mount -o bind /var/repair.sh /usr/sbin/repair.sh
    It "replaces" the existing watchdog "repair" script with one that returns "0", which tells the watchdog that all is now well, and that a reboot is not necessary.

You'll know that it has worked if the Radio no longer goes into its re-boot cycle, and you'll be able to verify as follows:
    Code:
    # cat /usr/sbin/repair.sh 
    #!/bin/sh
    exit 0
    It's only a temporary fix, until the Radio is restarted, but you can now put something slightly more permanent in place. You might edit /etc/watchdog.conf and replace the repair-binary = /usr/sbin/repair.sh line with a more congenial script. Provided your replacement script exits with success, (exit 0), the watchdog will think that there is no need to reboot.

You can enable ssh by editing the file /etc/inetd.conf and uncommenting the ssh line, which should now read
    Code:
    ssh     stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/dropbear dropbear -i
    Then reload inetd by executing kill -hup <pid of inetd>.

Good luck !

Addendum:

Pressing the "PAUSE" key during boot up appears to initiate a "BOOTP" request, followed (on failure of BOOTP) by a RedBoot prompt. Herein may lie an ability to effect a repair beyond that offered by the normal "MORE/+" and "REWIND" boot up options.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by mrw; 2020-06-15 at 09:39. Reason: Add refernce to original article