Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Any idea for a hardware volume control for a piCorePlayer installation?

Hello!

I have here a Pi 4B with piCorePlayer and LMS installed in an Argon One case. Attached is only a SSD with the music, an USB stick for LMS database and USB Harman Kardon Soundsticks to use Squeezlite also here. I have other clients (Airport Express stations and one Pi3B+ with Hifiberry DAC and 7" display) in the house that use this server.

As I am now more often (ok, the whole time) at home I am using this server more often. I can control it via a browser and material skin without any problem, but sometimes it is faster to have a hardware control for the server and not to search the correct window on the computer.
    The first thing that is working is a Flic button that starts an automation in my Home Assistant installation which switches between play/pause on the LMS.

Now I am searching for some hardware that can control the volume of LMS easily. Does someone here has an idea for this or does anyone here has build something before? If the solution is a nearly complete hardware control for LMS with play/pause/skip it would also be great! A display is not necessary.
    Ideally this control can be placed a little away from the Pi 4.

Any idea for a hardwarevolume control for a piCorePlayer installation?

Hi

> On 29 May 2020, at 11:59, carsten_h <carsten_h.9jmq5z (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
    >
    >
    > Hello!
    >
    > I have here a Pi 4B with piCorePlayer and LMS installed in an Argon One
    > case. Attached is only a SSD with the music, an USB stick for LMS
    > database and USB Harman Kardon Soundsticks to use Squeezlite also here.
    > I have other clients (Airport Express stations and one Pi3B+ with
    > Hifiberry DAC and 7" display) in the house that use this server.
    >
    > As I am now more often (ok, the whole time) at home I am using this
    > server more often. I can control it via a browser and material skin
    > without any problem, but sometimes it is faster to have a hardware
    > control for the server and not to search the correct window on the
    > computer.
    > The first thing that is working is a Flic button that starts an
    > automation in my Home Assistant installation which switches between
    > play/pause on the LMS.

Which automation are you using? Please tell me Apple HomeKit?

>
    > Now I am searching for some hardware that can control the volume of LMS
    > easily. Does someone here has an idea for this or does anyone here has
    > build something before? If the solution is a nearly complete hardware
    > control for LMS with play/pause/skip it would also be great! A display
    > is not necessary.

What about the the Hue dimmer switch https://www.apple.com/ie/shop/produc...-dimmer-switch ?

Four buttons - on louder - quieter - off ?

Rainer

>
    > ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    > carsten_h's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=69113
    > View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=112314
    >
    >

Quote Originally Posted by rkrug View Post
    Which automation are you using? Please tell me Apple HomeKit?
    I am using an automation inside Home Assistant. It's a simple one where a click from the Flic button calls media_player.media_play_pause.
    But there are other ways to handle this in Homekit. You can use Homebridge to import the Flic button into Homekit so you can have the Automation there.
    I had this but now I am using Home Assistant because then I have all my automations locally and not running in the cloud. I can make backups of them and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by rkrug View Post
    What about the the Hue dimmer switch
    Yes, that is an interesting idea! Ok, I need another gateway for it and the button itself. I will think about it. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by carsten_h View Post
    Hello!
    I can control it via a browser and material skin without any problem, but sometimes it is faster to have a hardware control for the server and not to search the correct window on the computer.
    This is not what you meant, but I'm throwing it here anyway. A piCorePlayer setup can be installed with a DAC, which includes a _real_ hardware volume control. For example the PecanPi, here you can select the volume control for optional 10 USD:

https://orchardaudio.com/shop/ols/products/pcnp-dac

Cheers,
    Claus

Why not just a button and rotary encoder hooked up to the gpio of the rpi? There are many different ways to send LMS commands from GPIO interface.
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

If you want to avoid walking across the room to twiddle a knob on the device itself then I suspect that the cheapest and one of the simplest routes is to put a $5 IR receiver on the Pi GPIO and then find an old TV/Hi-Fi emote control and point it at the Pi and press the buttons.

It would take a bit of effort to teach the RPi the remote control codes but it brings the possibility of doing more e.g. Pause/Favourites and for your RPi with a screen you could also use the arrow buttons on the remote to navigate.
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), KCRW, Supla Finland, ABC Australia, CBC/Radio-Canada and RTE Ireland