Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Metadata in FLAC streams

Iím building a Radio Station and have been testing it by using LMS as the client for my FLAC stream tests but I have run into an issue that I think may have revealed a limitation of the piCorePlayer based LMS.
    Using my production server which is an old HP Microserver if I tune in to my FLAC stream I see metadata and changes as youíd expect. If I tune in using either of 2 Pi based LMS (I have a Dev one here and another at a work location) I get the initial metadata but no changes.
    Initially I put it down to a networking issue but Iím pretty sure itís not and that the culprit must be the Pi itself.
    This is confined to the FLAC stream.
    All servers work fine with mp3 stream.
    Anybody have any ideas on what could be the issue. Time?
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

As an experiment - try setting the player to proxy through LMS.
    Settings/Player/xx:xx:xx:xx/AUdio/Streaming Method/Proxied Streaming
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), KCRW, Supla Finland, ABC Australia, CBC/Radio-Canada and RTE Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    As an experiment - try setting the player to proxy through LMS.
    Settings/Player/xx:xx:xx:xx/AUdio/Streaming Method/Proxied Streaming
    Good shout but no change.
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom

Maybe Squeezelite cannot read (some version of) metadata in FLAC.

How about telling LMS to transcode it to MP3 (just for fun) - at least it would show that LMS can read it and then Squeezelite might be changed to do the same (if that is the issue)?
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), KCRW, Supla Finland, ABC Australia, CBC/Radio-Canada and RTE Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    Maybe Squeezelite cannot read (some version of) metadata in FLAC.

How about telling LMS to transcode it to MP3 (just for fun) - at least it would show that LMS can read it and then Squeezelite might be changed to do the same (if that is the issue)?
    I donít think itís a Squeezelite issue. Squeezelite has no knowledge of metadata does it?
    I feel itís a server based issue.
    Production non Pi server with Squeezelite player. Metadata updates shown in eg Material
    Dev server. Metadata updates not shown in Material or iPeng or Default.
    Dining Room -> SB Boom

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    I donít think itís a Squeezelite issue. Squeezelite has no knowledge of metadata does it?
    IIRC Squeezelite (or any SB player) when playing direct stream - strips metadata and sends metadata to LMS to display.

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    IIRC Squeezelite (or any SB player) when playing direct stream - strips metadata and sends metadata to LMS to display.
    Itís Proxied now with the same result.
    Squeezelite players on my Production box are OK.
    Iíll need to switch an SB3 across to a dev box and see if that makes a difference.
    I have tried the RP flacm stream and that works on all.
    There isnít anything on the streaming server side that can be fiddled. Icecast based server.
    Dining Room -> SB Boom

Itís Proxied now with the same result.
    Squeezelite players on my Production box are OK.
    Iíll need to switch an SB3 across to a dev box and see if that makes a difference.
    I have tried the RP flacm stream and that works on all.
    There isnít anything on the streaming server side that can be fiddled. Icecast based server.
    Can't help much as I don't know how metadata is added to Flac streams (e.g. icy, MPEG2+ID3) nor the "standard" transport format for streaming Flac. I thought the RP Flac support was a special.

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    Can't help much as I don't know how metadata is added to Flac streams (e.g. icy, MPEG2+ID3) nor the "standard" transport format for streaming Flac. I thought the RP Flac support was a special.
    TBH when I first fired it up on my Production Box I was a bit surprised that the metadata was working apparently across all player types. I was expecting issues.
    Today I went to work elsewhere but where I have a piCorePlayer player/LMS. It worked with mp3 but no updates over FLAC.
    Then I looked on my dev server here and it was the same.
    Both are piCorePlayer. It must be something to do with the Pi either something to do with the clock or perhaps a subtle difference in LMS on the Pi.
    Typing that Iíve just realised Piís are 32 bit but my HP server is 64bit so there is a compiling difference.
    Dining Room -> SB Boom

TBH when I first fired it up on my Production Box I was a bit surprised that the metadata was working apparently across all player types. I was expecting issues.
    Today I went to work elsewhere but where I have a piCorePlayer player/LMS. It worked with mp3 but no updates over FLAC.
    Then I looked on my dev server here and it was the same.
    Both are piCorePlayer. It must be something to do with the Pi either something to do with the clock or perhaps a subtle difference in LMS on the Pi.
    Typing that Iíve just realised Piís are 32 bit but my HP server is 64bit so there is a compiling difference.
    Are you talking about updates during flac stream? If you do, be aware that flac does not support that. It's not a limitation of the player but of flac itself. Now, you should use flac in an ogg container and that will do.
    LMS 7.9 on Pi 3B+ & Odroid-C2 - SqueezeAMP!, 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB3. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, Squeezelite on Pi, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5, Riva 1 & 3