Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • naguirre
    • Feb 2016

Binky, a squeezebox based Kid's music box

Not only for kids: If you put a CFTAG reader on top, and the tags into CD cases, you could play a CD by by putting the physical CD on top of the box.

For fun: one could even re-purpose an old CD player, and add a CF tag reader under the tray, and just put the tag into the tray.

Endless possibilities.

Sounds like fun.

> On 29 May 2020, at 00:21, Gobuleberbu <Gobuleberbu.9jltun (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
    >
    >
    > Nice work!!!! I wanted to do something similar with floppy disks and a
    > usb floppy drive. Running a watchdog for the content of a file inside
    > the floppy pointing to a file/playlist/favorite for auto play on
    > discovery.
    >
    > I wanted to regain the physical manipulation of music. Your device is
    > way more kid friendly though!!
    >
    > Good job!!!
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    > Gobuleberbu's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=68135
    > View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=112302
    >
    >
  • naguirre
    • Feb 2016

Hi there,
    I finally found the time to post here about Binky, a DIY music box i built for my Daughter birthday

From hardware perspective it uses
    - Raspberrypi 3
    - Hiffy berry mini amp
    - NFC card reader
    - 2 Visaton Speakers
    - a bunch of NFC cards
    - A customized wood box

For software, it uses squeezelite bundled in a simple Linux distribution build with Buildroot.
    I also created a small binary (nfcsqueeze) which waits for NFC cards, read NFC ID and try to find a playlist on LMS with this ID on it. If it's found, it plays the corresponding playlist on Binky.
    There is also specifics NFC cards for pause/next/prev/volumeup/volumedown/stop.

Buildroot project can be found here :

Squeezenfc here :

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1659_2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	1568947

Name:	IMG_1657_2.jpg
Size:	163.7 KB
ID:	1568946

Name:	IMG_1660.jpg
Size:	242.6 KB
ID:	1568944

Hope you like it !
    At home it's finally a Frozen movie sound track music box only, but it may play any playlist you saved on your LMS

Comment

• mherger
      Babelfish's Best Boy
      • Apr 2005

> I finally found the time to post here about Binky, a DIY music box i
      > built for my Daughter birthday

Excellent! I like that very much! In particular the box itself is
      looking very cool.

> At home it's finally a Frozen movie sound track music box only, but it
      > may play any playlist you saved on your LMS

I don't envy you for that :-D. As a father of boys only it took me a
      long time before I even learned about this movie... from a friend with
      three girls.

--

Michael
      Michael

"It doesn't work - what shall I do?" - "Please check your server.log and/or scanner.log file!"
      (LMS: Settings/Information)

Comment

• chill
        • Mar 2007

That's a marvellous project. The NFC idea is inspired - absolutely perfect for the younger user.

Comment

• Heuer
          • Nov 2005

Some acoustic wadding would help the sound enormously: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Monacor-12-...0662166&sr=8-2
          Lounge: Transporter>Audio Synthesis DAX Decade>Audio Research LS22>Krell FPB300>Wilson Benesch Act 1's + 2 x Velodyne SPL1000 sub's
          Kitchen: Touch>Topping DAC>Arcam Solo>Anthony Gallo Micro's+Sub, Joggler controller
          Office: DAC32>Acoustic Energy AE1 Active's, Joggler controller
          Garage: Boom>QAcoustics 7000s subwoofer
          Bedroom: Radio
          Shed: Radio
          Workshop: Boom
          Garden 1: SB3>JVC amp>Rock outdoor speakers
          Garden 2: SB3>JVC amp>Rock outdoor speakers

Comment

• Paul Webster
            • Apr 2005

I can imagine a small friend trying to wipe away the tears of that robot face and plunging their finger through a speaker cone ...
            Paul Webster
            Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, ABC Australia and CBC/Radio-Canada
            and, via the extra "Radio Now Playing" plugin lots more - see https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...Playing-plugin

Comment

• naguirre
              • Feb 2016

Originally posted by Paul Webster
              I can imagine a small friend trying to wipe away the tears of that robot face and plunging their finger through a speaker cone ...
              Exactly next time Binky will wear sunglasses

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Comment

• naguirre
                • Feb 2016

Originally posted by chill
                That's a marvellous project. The NFC idea is inspired - absolutely perfect for the younger user.
                Yes, when she was 3 she was only inserting card and was hearing the whole playslist, and squeezenfc was stoping when the card was removed. Now she want exactly one song so we have to add the next/prev « feature ». I guess Binky will evolved again in the next years.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Comment

• Gobuleberbu
                  • May 2018

Nice work!!!! I wanted to do something similar with floppy disks and a usb floppy drive. Running a watchdog for the content of a file inside the floppy pointing to a file/playlist/favorite for auto play on discovery.

I wanted to regain the physical manipulation of music. Your device is way more kid friendly though!!

Good job!!!

Comment

• Man in a van
                    • Jan 2011

Originally posted by rkrug
                    Not only for kids: If you put a CFTAG reader on top, and the tags into CD cases, you could play a CD by by putting the physical CD on top of the box.

For fun: one could even re-purpose an old CD player, and add a CF tag reader under the tray, and just put the tag into the tray.

Endless possibilities.

>
                    Indeed I'm thinking here of people with disabilty and especially the elderly suffering with a dementia.

Ronnie

Comment

• Paul Webster
                      • Apr 2005

Originally posted by rkrug
                      Or a barcode reader ... Discogs has a barcode->Release lookup ...

So could perform the search locally and if not found then search on Discogs and store locally if found.

api . discogs . com/database/search?barcode=xxxxxx&type=release

This would be more of a technical exercise than something practical I think.
                      Paul Webster
                      Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, ABC Australia and CBC/Radio-Canada
                      and, via the extra "Radio Now Playing" plugin lots more - see https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...Playing-plugin

Comment

• cubii
                        • Dec 2016

Originally posted by naguirre
                        Hi there,
                        I finally found the time to post here about Binky, a DIY music box i built for my Daughter birthday

Hope you like it !
                        At home it's finally a Frozen movie sound track music box only, but it may play any playlist you saved on your LMS
                        Nice work!

I also using jukeboxes like that with https://github.com/MiczFlor/RPi-Jukebox-RFID and installed Squeezelite player so that i can use it additionally in the LMS Ecosystem.
                        I always wanted to have an extension for picoreplayer to use NFC Cards to start playlist (and a nice webserve interface to change the playlist for each Card like the one found in the RPi-Jukebox-RFID software package)
                        Any idea how to use your script on piCoreplayer?

Greetings cubii

Comment

Working...