Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

SqueezePlay for OpenFrame

Hey everyone,

Quite some time ago I put together a "SqueezePlay OS" for the O2 Joggler and other OpenFrame based devices. I signed up for an account on here, but somehow never really got around to using it!

Well, only a decade has passed and I've now revisited the OpenFrames, mainly because Ubuntu Trusty shouldn't really be trusted any longer. I built a new command-line OS for the OpenFrame based on Ubuntu Bionic and decided to get SqueezePlay working on it in a tidier way than I had in the past.

The SqueezePlay for OpenFrame tweaked code is up on GitHub should anybody else want to check it out. I've tried to split out the OpenFrame components in line with the house style. I am no Lua expert, so as you will see I have avoided it wherever possible. Compiled versions should show up here.

Anyone who has an OpenFrame 1 (O2 Joggler, Telefonica Orby) or OpenFrame 2 (Cisco Home Energy Controller, Telio Touch) should be able to write the image to a USB stick, run a couple of commands over SSH and be up and running in short order. For OpenFrame specific issues there's a SqueezePlay for OpenFrame thread on the Joggler forums.

Seeing as you can still find these devices on eBay every day from between £15 - £50 they're an affordable, nicely integrated alternative to Raspberry Pi touchscreens. With the minor downside of having been out of production for years!

Thanks everyone, especially to Ralph Irving, whose code was the basis for this update. I've no doubt done something horrible to it, so apologies in advance!

Great to see you here.
    I'm going to spin one up and see what happens.
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), KCRW, Supla Finland, ABC Australia, CBC/Radio-Canada and RTE Ireland

Well that was painless ... up and running (with in built speaker).
    Well done.
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), KCRW, Supla Finland, ABC Australia, CBC/Radio-Canada and RTE Ireland

Is the wifi fixed for Openframe 2 devices?
    LMS server: O2 Joggler with Jivelite, Pi Zero W with PcP 6.0

Amp: Denon PMA-50

Players/Speakers: Touch, Logitech Radios, Sonos Play 1s & Beam, Libratone Zipp, GGMM E2 & E3, Yamaha WXAD-010, Loewe Airspeaker, Google Chromecast Audio, Home Mini & Nest Hub, Amazon Echo 2,3 and Show5, Pioneer WX-SMA1, Roberts S1, O2 Joggler, Cisco Joggler, Fiio M6, Avantree Priva BT transmitter

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by castalla View Post
    Brian, have you thought about a wireless-bridge.

I have just plugged a usb stick with the Bionic build /LMS/Jivelite into a small Hama usb2 passive hub and added one of these

http://en.vonets.es/products/VAP11N/

It's an old one that I bough a few years ago (in error as I thought I was getting one of these

http://en.vonets.es/products/VAP11G/

I had a problem doing the configuration for it as it required Internet Explorer. I don't know about the latest versions.

There are also travel devices available which will do the same (and maybe leave the USB input free)

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-netw...g-usb-adapter/

Name:  Cisco.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  234.4 KB

ronnie

sorry about the size

Quote Originally Posted by Man in a van View Post
    Brian, have you thought about a wireless-bridge.
    Thanks, but ....

I've no idea of how to use any of this!

And in any event, I can't see any real need to switch from SQPos to this bionicc version.

Players/Speakers: Touch, Logitech Radios, Sonos Play 1s & Beam, Libratone Zipp, GGMM E2 & E3, Yamaha WXAD-010, Loewe Airspeaker, Google Chromecast Audio, Home Mini & Nest Hub, Amazon Echo 2,3 and Show5, Pioneer WX-SMA1, Roberts S1, O2 Joggler, Cisco Joggler, Fiio M6, Avantree Priva BT transmitter

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    Well that was painless ... up and running (with in built speaker).
    Well done.
    Hooray! Glad it worked as intended.

Quote Originally Posted by castalla View Post
    I wish. At some point I'll dig the other OpenFrame 2 from the loft, see what I can get it to do (my testing one now has a Crystal HD card installed instead). The only way I can think of to get it working (in line with Broadcom's licensing) is to have each end user compile their proprietary driver themselves. Which, of course, you could do anyway - but would require the installation of the build tools and kernel headers. Too much of a faff for most in my book.

If that little passive hub works on the OF2 then it sounds less fussy than the OF1, which is great. You could grab one of those hubs and an EZCast WiFi 2.4/5 GHz + Bluetooth 4.2 Adapter. I added support for that combo adapter because it's a superb upgrade for the OF1, so assuming there's enough power from the port that would sort it.

Quote Originally Posted by roobarb! View Post
    Hooray! Glad it worked as intended.

I wish. At some point I'll dig the other OpenFrame 2 from the loft, see what I can get it to do (my testing one now has a Crystal HD card installed instead). The only way I can think of to get it working (in line with Broadcom's licensing) is to have each end user compile their proprietary driver themselves. Which, of course, you could do anyway - but would require the installation of the build tools and kernel headers. Too much of a faff for most in my book.

If that little passive hub works on the OF2 then it sounds less fussy than the OF1, which is great. You could grab one of those hubs and an EZCast WiFi 2.4/5 GHz + Bluetooth 4.2 Adapter. I added support for that combo adapter because it's a superb upgrade for the OF1, so assuming there's enough power from the port that would sort it.
    Just ordered another pi zero with a flirc aluminium case .... can't justify any more purchases for a while!

Got the Cisco running on wifi with your original Spqos - so there's no rush for a fix (I spent hours earlier myself trying to find some suitable drivers for bionic, but gave up in despair!).

Quote Originally Posted by roobarb! View Post
    Hey everyone,

Quite some time ago I put together a "SqueezePlay OS" for the O2 Joggler and other OpenFrame based devices. I signed up for an account on here, but somehow never really got around to using it!

Well, only a decade has passed and I've now revisited the OpenFrames, mainly because Ubuntu Trusty shouldn't really be trusted any longer. I built a new command-line OS for the OpenFrame based on Ubuntu Bionic and decided to get SqueezePlay working on it in a tidier way than I had in the past.

The SqueezePlay for OpenFrame tweaked code is up on GitHub should anybody else want to check it out. I've tried to split out the OpenFrame components in line with the house style. I am no Lua expert, so as you will see I have avoided it wherever possible. Compiled versions should show up here.

Anyone who has an OpenFrame 1 (O2 Joggler, Telefonica Orby) or OpenFrame 2 (Cisco Home Energy Controller, Telio Touch) should be able to write the image to a USB stick, run a couple of commands over SSH and be up and running in short order. For OpenFrame specific issues there's a SqueezePlay for OpenFrame thread on the Joggler forums.

Seeing as you can still find these devices on eBay every day from between £15 - £50 they're an affordable, nicely integrated alternative to Raspberry Pi touchscreens. With the minor downside of having been out of production for years!

Thanks everyone, especially to Ralph Irving, whose code was the basis for this update. I've no doubt done something horrible to it, so apologies in advance!
    How opportune. I bought 2 more Jogglers last week as Now Playing / Control devices for systems being built for friends. Until I part with these two I will have 5 to play with.

I’ll be on this tomorrow
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    I’ll be on this tomorrow
    Fantastic, I spent far too long messing with all of this, so it makes me happy when somebody uses it!

There are a few rough edges, such as the backlight not shutting off with the 'Screen Off' screensaver and I think it still quits to command line (which was a bit daft of me to leave in). However, I rebuilt the update system too, so in theory I can fix those things and have people pull updates from Settings > Update.

I also know there's some weirdness in WQVGAsmallSkin around menus and layout. The JogglerSkin in Ralph's repo seemed to be an amalgamation of the original WQVGA skin I made years ago with updates, so I used that. However, if anyone wants to improve on it, please do - I'm happy to roll changes into the SqueezePlay for OpenFrame git repo.