Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Memory card for raspberry pi lms

Any recommendations on what memory card to use for lms on a pi?

At work we use pi for displaying information with rise vision. Here we use cheap industrial SD cards. But these seems to fail within a year. We also use pi for temperature surveillance of freezers and refrigerators. Here we use expensive industrial SD card.

So this make me wonder what card to use for lms at home

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk
    SB Radio x2, SB Duet, Squeezelite

I've been using SanDisk Ultra cards for over 5 years on my LMS server with no issues.

+1 SanDisk

is your lms running 24/7? how often do you rescan?
    SB Radio x2, SB Duet, Squeezelite

Quote Originally Posted by teebee View Post
    is your lms running 24/7? how often do you rescan?
    24x7 Yes
    Rescan, not very frequent (can be months between scans), my collection is pretty stable.

Quote Originally Posted by teebee View Post
    Any recommendations on what memory card to use for lms on a pi?
    After multiple failures with SanDisk and Samsung, I started using Transcend High Endurance cards and have so far not had a problem.

My guess is that as long as you stick to the ones specifically made for write-heavy applications like dashcams, you're better off. I stick with Transcend just because they've worked for me, but others are probably fine as well.

Also, I've never gotten an answer as to whether or not this is true, but I've always assumed that going with a larger capacity means the card will last longer. I say that based on the guess that there's some amount of wear-leveling going on. In fact, I wonder if the problems I had with other cards had more to do with the fact that I was using 8GB rather than 32 or 64. Nowadays I consider a 32GB high endurance card the bare minimum. Fortunately, they aren't THAT much more expensive these days.

Just as FYI ... Raspberry Pi 4 can boot from USB (beta but close to release). Older RPi have been able to do it for a long time.
    Some can also boot from network - which could make an attractive option for pCP players.
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), KCRW, Supla Finland, ABC Australia, CBC/Radio-Canada and RTE Ireland

I have been using a Samsung EVO 32G for years -- no issues
    ----------------------------------------------
    Bill Clark, Windham, VT
    Logitech Media Server Version: 7.9.3 - 1590417116 @ Tue May 26 04:13:57 CEST 2020
    Hostname: ubuntu-lms - ProxMox Virtual Environment 5.4-3 | Ubuntu 16.04 xenial
    piCorePlayer | piCorePlayer v6.0.0 | www v0005 | linux 4.19.105-pcpCore_v7 | piCore v10.3pCP | Squeezelite v1.9.6-1206-pCP
    -----------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    Just as FYI ... Raspberry Pi 4 can boot from USB (beta but close to release). Older RPi have been able to do it for a long time.
    Some can also boot from network - which could make an attractive option for pCP players.

Just burned a copy to a 500gb hybrid usb disk (I had already done the beta update) working fine at the mo

ronnie