Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Possible bug: Plugin updater

I had problems installing / upgrading Phillipe's RAOP plugin:

Code:
    [20-05-17 19:06:45.7646] Slim::Utils::PluginDownloader::_downloadDone (200) digest does not match /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/LogitechMediaServer/SlimServer/Cache/DownloadedPlugins/RaopBridge.zip - RaopBridge will not be installed: expected 1f6d91f22845a272a0f51eb26c75709618b528c7, got 8be7efcae35c313e7270873b957aa16b24768714
    [20-05-17 19:09:15.4438] main::init (388) Starting Logitech Media Server (v8.0.0, 1589180193, Mon May 11 09:19:02 CEST 2020) perl 5.030001 - x86_64-linux-thread-multi
    [20-05-17 19:09:15.4914] Slim::Utils::PluginDownloader::extract (87) unable to install RaopBridge - /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/LogitechMediaServer/SlimServer/Cache/DownloadedPlugins/RaopBridge.zip does not exist
    For some reason downloading from sourceforge is painstakingly slow these days. Is there any check if the download actually is completed before LMS tries to install it?

And another not bug but inconvience: If LMS detects an update for a plugin, its setting page isn't directly accessible anymore. Advanced / Pluginname still works, so no big deal. But a categegory (like active, inactive, and 3rd party plugins have) on the plugin page showing plugins to be updated (with download progress, maybe) would be helpful.
    QLMS 8.0.0@2.21 x64 (digimaster) with perl 5.30.1 / QNAP 469L QTS 4.3.4

Quote Originally Posted by dolodobendan View Post
    For some reason downloading from sourceforge is painstakingly slow these days. Is there any check if the download actually is completed before LMS tries to install it?
    From observation, I think sourceforge doesn't want to be become a file server and so it throttles downloads which are proving popular & not using mirror sites (e.g. after a plugin update). If same user tries to download the file quickly many times - I think this throttling behaviour also kicks in.

Downloaded Plugin ZIP files are checked against the SHA checksum in the plugin repository before attempting to install.
    Last edited by bpa; 2020-05-17 at 11:58.

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    Downloaded Plugin ZIP files are checked against the SHA checksum in the plugin repository before attempting to install.
    Of course. But is there a check to wait for the download to complete before doing the SHA checksum check?

Another thing I noticed. I'm on LMS' startpage in the WebUI. On the bottom it says "Plugins have been updated - Restart Required (AirPlay bridge)". Now I check with WinSCP (refresh, of course): RAOP's download is complete. I click on said "Plugins have been updated" and I get to LMS' setting page. Check with WinSCP: The download is started again. That should not happen, should it?

Another thing I noticed. I'm on LMS' startpage in the WebUI. On the bottom it says "Plugins have been updated - Restart Required (AirPlay bridge)". Now I check with WinSCP (refresh, of course): RAOP's download is complete. I click on said "Plugins have been updated" and I get to LMS' setting page. Check with WinSCP: The download is started again. That should not happen, should it?
    And clicking on the plugin page on restart LMS also restarts the download. So it downloaded three times already in one session:

1. Downloaded on LMS main page
    2. Downloaded after clicking that "Plugins have been updated" line and being directed to the plugin page
    3. Downloading after clicking the restart server popup.

This time the update was installed successfully. Feels coincidental, though.

The file download is done with a HTTP GET - so the GET will either succeed with a 20x code or fail. If there is a 20x code and downloaded file is OK then SHA will be checked. No specific timeout on download - so general LMS Settings Radio Stations timeout will be used (often about 15 secs) .

Enable server.plugins to INFO or DEBUG to get a log of stages.

IIRC It will happen if the download worked but the install failed (e.g. wrong version, mismatch sha) - enable server.plugins logging (make sure enabled at startup) to get definitive details on what is happening. May be problems if plugin is downloaded and not installed at startup (i.e. a bad ZIP is in the Dowloaded directory).

IIRC It will happen if the download worked but the install failed (e.g. wrong version, mismatch sha) - enable server.plugins logging (make sure enabled at startup) to get definitive details on what is happening. May be problems if plugin is downloaded and not installed at startup (i.e. a bad ZIP is in the Dowloaded directory).
    I'll have to wait for the next RAOP update to log this. Or I could manually install an older version in the managed plugin folder. I'll try that later.

But I really think that the problem is that LMS checks the file before it has been downloaded completely (and it does download, just takes a while). It would be highly unlikely that the download is compromised over and over again.

Concerning the time out: The download takes about seven minutes.

I manually checked the file that LMS discarded (or will discard) and its checksum checks out.
    Last edited by dolodobendan; 2020-05-17 at 12:42.

I'll have to wait for the next RAOP update to log this. Or I could manually install an older version in the managed plugin folder. I'll try that later.

But I really think that the problem is that LMS checks the file before it has been downloaded completely. It would be highly unlikely that the download is compromised over and over again.
    Enable the logging to be sure what is happening.

Concerning the time out: The download takes about seven minutes.
    Normally, "seven minutes" would imply either very large file or very slow ISP connection
    Then it may be a problem as it is greater than the expected timeout as plugin ZIPs are usually compressed Perl code (maybe with small executable) and so not large. As an experiment increase the WebUI Setting/Advanced/Network/Radio Station Timeout

IIRC When plugins manager automated installer was written, plugins that have large executable/other files were expected to do their own download of the large files - this was the case with AlienBBC.

edit:

Not absolutely sure how timeout is actually timed - I suspect it is for the whole GET to complete and not a period when no data is received. Again logging will tell all.
    Last edited by bpa; 2020-05-17 at 12:52.

Enable the logging to be sure what is happening.

Normally, "seven minutes" would imply either very large file or very slow ISP connection
    ISP is 60Mbit/s. It's just downloading from sourceforge that's slow.

I'll enable logging, thank you.