Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

How to reduce audio latency

I have a Pi4 with a HiFiBerry DAC+ ADC Card and Amp60 on top.

Plays really nicely using piCorePlayer which is simple and clever. However using this to output my TV in the Kitchen to ceiling speakers there is a 6 second delay in the sound compared to the TV video.
    I am using pcp-streamer to send the audio to the localhost LMS.

Is this sort of latency to be expected?
    Is there a way to improve the latency
    Perfect in every way, Modest and Misunderstood!

Iĺve tried recently to do the same, but was never able to achieve a sub 1s latency... maybe someone could chime in and add some details.

I was using the wavinput plugin with a USB audio carded ADC. I believe using digital input could be faster as there is no conversion.

Reencoding of your stream and compression should be disabled, as it adds latency. Change your output to wav. FLAC, while easier on the network, requires calculations which slows things down.

You could also limit the buffer on your Squeezelite. But it makes it prone to stuttering with bad networks. Avoid wifi.

Hope this helps. Tell me if you can reach an acceptable level of latency!!

Quote Originally Posted by themetman View Post
    I have a Pi4 with a HiFiBerry DAC+
    I am using pcp-streamer to send the audio to the localhost LMS.
    ... and my setup was all on the same machine, Squeezelite, the sound card and LMS

Quote Originally Posted by Gobuleberbu View Post
    ... and my setup was all on the same machine, Squeezelite, the sound card and LMS
    I think pcp-streamer uses a different mechanism than waveinput.

You would need to check but I think pcp-streamer is suited to a player remote from LMS and create a http stream i.e. you are playing a http URL.

Waveinput requires input to be on same machine as LMS - to use waveinput you'll be playing from a Favorite with an URL "Wavin:". In this case avoid Flac conversion to reduces latency.

The latency is mostly from buffers. Syncing with video is likely not going to happen in an LMS stream.

You are welcome to try waveinput.....I believe everything is in place for wavein to work with pCP.
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

Quote Originally Posted by paul- View Post
    The latency is mostly from buffers. Syncing with video is likely not going to happen in an LMS stream.

You are welcome to try waveinput.....I believe everything is in place for wavein to work with pCP.
    waveinput will also have a delay - about 0.5sec (if not using Flac) would be expected - so not good for video sync unless you use a video player which can split audio/video streams or add delay.