Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

No audio - PiCorePlanyer

Need some help please!

Just 'built' a R pi -4 and installed pCP. My objective is to have it become my server, but I am checking it with pCP only, first, to see how it is as a player. I am using the 3.5mm jack and tried both a small portable speaker and my ear phones, but can get no sound.

I have no red flags on the on the terminal view of pCP or the pCP main page, have bumped up the vol, player is seen in current LMS server, LMS screen shows progress on the song playing, Squeezelite says Analog Audio.

I'm stumped. First experience with Pi, as is obvious!! Help!!
    thanks,
    phil
    phb (3 Booms, 2 SB3, 1 Rec'vr, 2 Controllers, 2xTouch, 2 Radios (1UE), iPeng &UE: itouch & iPad, Squeezepad, 2 SoundBridge R1000s)

Trying connecting via SSH to the Pi and running alsamixer - and push up the volume there (make sure you select the right output device since it might do it on HDMI by default).
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), KCRW, Supla Finland, ABC Australia, CBC/Radio-Canada and RTE Ireland

Make sure your alsa setting has a blank where the arrow is shown. It is intended to get set automatically based on the board, but apparently not.

Name:  clip.png
Views: 72
Size:  5.9 KB
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

Quote Originally Posted by paul- View Post
    Make sure your alsa setting has a blank where the arrow is shown. It is intended to get set automatically based on the board, but apparently not.

Name:  clip.png
Views: 72
Size:  5.9 KB
    Well, it did have a 1 -- deleted the 1 to a blank. Didn't work, so.......

put a 0 and that works perfectly!! (as you implied, the 1 was in as a default, I am quite sure. )

Thanks for heading me in the correct direction. Really appreciated your info and that makes my day with this first venture.

Phil
    phb (3 Booms, 2 SB3, 1 Rec'vr, 2 Controllers, 2xTouch, 2 Radios (1UE), iPeng &UE: itouch & iPad, Squeezepad, 2 SoundBridge R1000s)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    Trying connecting via SSH to the Pi and running alsamixer - and push up the volume there (make sure you select the right output device since it might do it on HDMI by default).
    Thanks again, Paul -- I will venture this later (see below, for now)

phil

If it is now working then no need to touch it ... in theory there should never be a need to resort to the console/SSH for pCP.
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), KCRW, Supla Finland, ABC Australia, CBC/Radio-Canada and RTE Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    If it is now working then no need to touch it ... in theory there should never be a need to resort to the console/SSH for pCP.
    too late... already took a look. Had to google it to see what it's all about. Having already put in the 0, the graph showed as expected.

also - that was my first use of a command line in other than in my original Apple II and all the pc_s I have made and fiddled around with!

I ran into the no audio issue myself. I fixed it for me by going to the Squeezelite tab and changing the audio from "Analog" to anything else (I chose HDMI). I saved my changes and rebooted (abundance of caution). I then changed the audio setting back to Analog and rebooted again. After that I had audio. I'm also using the 3.5mm port as my output.
    Last edited by prabbit; 2020-05-14 at 15:48. Reason: grammar

You are correct, a zero is needed......For clarification, this setting is only required on a PI4.

Squeezelite defaults to using mmap (memory addressing), and that mode works just fine on all rpi/usb/i2s configurations, except onboard audio on a pi4.
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer