Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BosseJ View Post
    Now that Ubuntu has released the ".1" upgrade to 20.04, is there any experience on running LMS on this?
    I have read alex.h's excellent start script (linked in a post above) which explains that the start-stop-daemon is discontinued in 20.04 and I wonder if anything has changed since, such as incorporating alex-h's startscipt in LMS or someone has provided an update of the start-stop-daemon script in Ubuntu. Or some other solution.
    LMS 7.9.3 has been running on Xubuntu 20.04 for a few months now, without issues (I still have to test all library scan function however). I don't use custom start scripts, only a manually added line to /etc/rc.local because LMS is started before the network is up. This has been an issue since the day Ubuntu started using Upstart and nowadays Systemd instead of classic init-scripts. It might be necessary to first enable /etc/rc.local on your system depending on your configuration.

Code:
    # 07/05/2015: added logitechmediaserver restart due to incompatibilities with upstart

/etc/init.d/logitechmediaserver restart
    Living Room: HifiBerry DAC+ Pro & piCorePlayer
    Attic: HifiBerry DAC+ RCA & piCorePlayer
    Other rooms: 6x SB Radio
    LMS: Version 8.1.x on Xubuntu 20.04LTS

Quote Originally Posted by zordaz View Post
    LMS 7.9.3 has been running on Xubuntu 20.04 for a few months now, without issues (I still have to test all library scan function however). I don't use custom start scripts, only a manually added line to /etc/rc.local because LMS is started before the network is up. This has been an issue since the day Ubuntu started using Upstart and nowadays Systemd instead of classic init-scripts. It might be necessary to first enable /etc/rc.local on your system depending on your configuration.

Code:
    # 07/05/2015: added logitechmediaserver restart due to incompatibilities with upstart

/etc/init.d/logitechmediaserver restart
    Thanks! Much appreciated.
    2 Touch, 2 Picoreplayer v6.1.0 on RaspBerry 3B
    LMS 8.2.0 on Debian 10 on Intel-NUC. All wired
    Main audio system: speakers Magnepan 3.6, amp "Gdis 400", DAC & pre: NAD M51, streamers: SB Touch // NAD M50

Quote Originally Posted by TonioRoffo View Post
    With this file, and the one before it, I can start logitechmediaserver but it shuts down every 5 seconds and spawns a new process.
    FWIW, I tried it too -- with basically the same results. In my case I got a stable squeezeboxserver_safe, a stable squeezeboxserver, and then a second instance of squeezeboxserver that would die and be restarted every 5 seconds.

I don't know exactly how squeezeboxserver_safe works, but I tried for a little while to debug the problem anyway. Didn't see anything obvious, though, and my linux distro includes start-stop-daemon -- so I reverted to the init script from the .deb package, and everything works fine again.
    LMS 8.1.2 + EDO on Debian Jessie
    Touch --> Benchmark DAC3 HGC --> Counterpoint NPS200 MkII + NPS400 --> Meadowlark Heron
    Touch --> Schiit Bifrost 2 --> Eddie Current Aficionado --> Sennheiser HD800 SDR, ZMF Verite Ziricote
    and a third Touch for remote control, and a Radio, and a couple SB3s and a Transporter somewhere

Logitech Media Server on Ubuntu20.04

What's the roundup here? Is LMS broken on Ubuntu 20.04? If so, would
    anybody know the details about how to fix this?

An issue has been raised on
    https://github.com/Logitech/slimserver/issues/436.

--

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by mherger View Post
    What's the roundup here? Is LMS broken on Ubuntu 20.04? If so, would
    anybody know the details about how to fix this?

An issue has been raised on
    https://github.com/Logitech/slimserver/issues/436.

--

Michael
    LMS is running OK here on Xubuntu 20.04. I always try to stick with the defaults, so I don't think there is a structural issue with LMS as described on github.

The only problems I am having with LMS are old (and have been around for years):
    1) Since Upstart and Systemd are used in Debian/Ubuntu, LMS by default is started before the network is up, which causes issues with things like online radio stations, Spotify etc. My /etc/rc.local workaround works, but is not very nice. A structural solution would be better.
    2) Full library rescan doesn't work here since Ubuntu 18.04, it results in a hanging scan process. Incremental scans works fine, even with an empty database.

For both issues some old threads can be found on this forum without a proper solution.
    Last edited by zordaz; 2020-10-13 at 14:25. Reason: typos

Logitech Media Server on Ubuntu20.04

> 1) Since Upstart and Systemd are used in Debian/Ubuntu, LMS by default
    > is started before the network is up, which causes issues with thinks
    > like online radio stations, Spotify etc. My /etc/rc.local workaround is
    > fine, but not very nice. A structural solution would be better.

Anybody willing and able to come up with a solution?...

> 2) Full library rescan doesn't work since Ubuntu 18.04, it results in a
    > hanging scan process. Incremental scans works fine, even with an empty
    > database.
    > For both issues several threads can be found on this forum without a
    > proper solution.

I totally am not aware of any scan issues related to that Ubuntu
    version. Would you have a link to a related discussion?

--

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by BosseJ View Post
    Now that Ubuntu has released the ".1" upgrade to 20.04, is there any experience on running LMS on this?
    I have read alex.h's excellent start script (linked in a post above) which explains that the start-stop-daemon is discontinued in 20.04 and I wonder if anything has changed since, such as incorporating alex-h's startscipt in LMS or someone has provided an update of the start-stop-daemon script in Ubuntu. Or some other solution.
    As a follow-up: I was worried enough about some of the reports here to pause my planned upgrade of my main server from Ubuntu 18.04.5 to 20.04.1 while I tested a fresh install of Ubuntu (server version) on an IntelNUC I had available.

On the IntelNUC machine:
    1) after OS install, I installed nfs-common and mounted the music files residing on my main server over NFS and made sure it was working ok. Nothing else was installed.
    2) I downloaded LMS (logitechmediaserver_8.0.0~1602486506_amd64.deb) using wget
    3) installed with "sudo -i <path to dowloaded LMS .deb>", but that failed with unresolved dependency for libio-socket-ssl-perl
    4) "apt install libio-socket-ssl-perl" also failed because of unresolved dependencies, but "apt --fix-broken install" was recommended.
    5) running "apt --fix-broken install" resolved all issues; a handful of other packages were downloaded and installed in addition to libio-socket-ssl-perl, but unfortunately I didn't make a note of them :-(

After this LMS started nicely using "systemctl start logitechmediaserver". No problem with start-stop-daemon, it was there - installed as part of the OS-package (package lsb-base). (I suspect alex.h's problems arose from a failed OS update?)
    I then ran LMS on the IntelNUC for 2-3 days to make sure there were no other sissues, but none appeared. I then upgraded my main server to Ubuntu 20.04.1, and much to my relief the upgrade went fine and LMS worked as before.
    (My main server is very old, cirka 2007 I believe. I installed Ubuntu 12.04 LTS in 2013 and since I have upgraded to 14.04 -> 16.04 -> 18.04, so it has most likely picked up a lot of entropy in terms of old and unsupported packages etc. OS upgrades don't remove packages that are installed outside the package manager.)

If there is any interest in what extra packages were installed when running "apt --fix-broken install", I'd be happy to retrace my steps and massage the IntelNUC with a new fresh install.
    2 Touch, 2 Picoreplayer v6.1.0 on RaspBerry 3B
    LMS 8.2.0 on Debian 10 on Intel-NUC. All wired
    Main audio system: speakers Magnepan 3.6, amp "Gdis 400", DAC & pre: NAD M51, streamers: SB Touch // NAD M50

> 1) Since Upstart and Systemd are used in Debian/Ubuntu, LMS by default
    > is started before the network is up, which causes issues with thinks
    > like online radio stations, Spotify etc. My /etc/rc.local workaround is
    > fine, but not very nice. A structural solution would be better.

Anybody willing and able to come up with a solution?...
    I don't know about Upstart. A "proper" solution for systemd might be to re-examine and rewrite the logic of the Debian init scripts into a systemd unit file. In the process addressing/eliminating the quirky squeezeboxserver_safe script.

As a hack to try out one could install a modified version of the existing auto-generated service unit, and add a 'network-online' dependency to it. It could look something like:

Code:
    [Unit]
    SourcePath=/etc/init.d/logitechmediaserver
    Description=LSB: Startup script for the Logitech Media Server
    Before=multi-user.target
    Before=graphical.target
    After=all.target
    After=network-online.target
    Wants=network-online.target

[Service]
    Type=forking
    Restart=no
    TimeoutSec=5min
    IgnoreSIGPIPE=no
    KillMode=process
    GuessMainPID=no
    RemainAfterExit=yes
    SuccessExitStatus=5 6
    ExecStart=/etc/init.d/logitechmediaserver start
    ExecStop=/etc/init.d/logitechmediaserver stop
    This is based on the auto-generated file /run/systemd/generator.late/logitechmediaserver.service, but I have added the two 'network-online.target' lines with the intention of preventing LMS from starting before the network.

The revised unit file should be saved as /etc/systemd/system/logitechmediaserver.service, and the system restarted.

It works on my Debian system, but I have not tested that it actually solves the network problem that it seeks to address, simply because I don't have the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by mrw View Post
    I don't know about Upstart. A "proper" solution for systemd might be to re-examine and rewrite the logic of the Debian init scripts into a systemd unit file. In the process addressing/eliminating the quirky squeezeboxserver_safe script..
    As upstart is not used anymore in Ubuntu in favor of systemd, the effort in solving this should indeed be put into a systemd unit file. As I am not a coder or scripter I was never able to solve it properly myself, so hopefully somebody can come up with a permanent solution that can be incorporated in the official LMS packages.

Quote Originally Posted by mrw View Post
    It works on my Debian system, but I have not tested that it actually solves the network problem that it seeks to address, simply because I don't have the problem.
    Do you mean that it works fine on your Debian system by default?
    Last edited by zordaz; 2020-10-13 at 14:24.

I totally am not aware of any scan issues related to that Ubuntu
    version. Would you have a link to a related discussion?
    Michael
    This issue is probably not that general and might be related to my own configuration. On the other hand, I tend to use defaults and are having this scan issues on more than one Xubuntu 18.04 (and later) installations.
    https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...ems&highlight=

It might be a permission thing, but then: why does an incremental scan works fine? And I can't remember any change in permissions when upgrading from 16.04 to 18.04 two years ago.