Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 17 of 17

Thread: Ras Pi 24/7...?

  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Waihi Beach, New Zealand
    Posts
    167
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    You could stop LMS for a while and see if the disk spins down.

    If it does not then there may be something you can do via hdparm to set it.
    Thanks, that's good advice. I'll try stopping LMS shortly. I've Googled hdparm and as a fairly unskilled Linux person I think I won't be in a rush to go there!
    Digital: Raspberry Pi 3B; piCorePlayer 6 + LMS 8; HifiBerry DAC+DSP > Yamaha RX-V2700 > Jamo speakers
    Analogue: HifiBerry DAC+DSP > Speakercraft MZC-66 > whole house
    Library: External USB drive
    Android: Squeezer app

  2. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Waihi Beach, New Zealand
    Posts
    167
    Quote Originally Posted by Viragored View Post
    Thanks, that's good advice. I'll try stopping LMS shortly. I've Googled hdparm and as a fairly unskilled Linux person I think I won't be in a rush to go there!
    I stopped LMS and the disc kept spinning, even overnight.

    Hdparm has me a bit stumped, though. piCore's LMS page tells me the external drive is /dev/sda1, but I am getting this response from hdparm (see picture). I'm not at all familiar with Linux so would welcome a pointer to the right direction!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Digital: Raspberry Pi 3B; piCorePlayer 6 + LMS 8; HifiBerry DAC+DSP > Yamaha RX-V2700 > Jamo speakers
    Analogue: HifiBerry DAC+DSP > Speakercraft MZC-66 > whole house
    Library: External USB drive
    Android: Squeezer app

  3. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    4,328
    Quote Originally Posted by Viragored View Post
    I stopped LMS and the disc kept spinning, even overnight.

    Hdparm has me a bit stumped, though. piCore's LMS page tells me the external drive is /dev/sda1, but I am getting this response from hdparm (see picture). I'm not at all familiar with Linux so would welcome a pointer to the right direction!
    As an alternative to HDparm. HD idle works very well and works on HDDs where HDParm fails to work. Here is a guide to installing it on picoreplayer.

    https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=947791

    Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

  4. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Waihi Beach, New Zealand
    Posts
    167
    Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    As an alternative to HDparm. HD idle works very well and works on HDDs where HDParm fails to work. Here is a guide to installing it on picoreplayer.

    https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=947791
    Excellent, thanks for finding that post, which I didn't discover with my searches. Because I don't know much about Linux it's taken me a while to work through exactly how to do all the steps, but the Pi now seems to be running LMS happily, and the hard disc is sleeping when it should.

    In case it helps another novice, these are the steps I ended up using to reach the goal on my Windows PC and piCorePlayer 6, beginning with going to the link slartibartfast posted. There may be better ways, but at least I could understand what was happening. Mostly...

    1. Click this link to download a file https://sourceforge.net/p/hd-idle/fe...1.05_armhf.deb
    2. Use 7-Zip to extract the downloaded file to a folder
    3. Use Windows Explorer to open that folder, which contains the file "data.tar"
    4. Use 7-Zip to "extract here" that file's contents - two folders, "etc" and "usr"
    5. Use Windows Explorer to open folder "usr" then folder "sbin" - that's where file "hd-idle" is
    6. Open Filezilla and connect to the Raspberry Pi (wherever it is on the network) with user "tc" and password "piCore" (if still default)
    7. Point Filezilla's left pane to the file "hd-idle", and the right pane to "/home/tc" (which is probably where Filezilla landed)
    8. Double click file "hd-idle" to copy it to the Pi
    9. Right-click the file "hd-idle" on the Pi, choose "File permissions", change the numeric value field to "755" and click "OK"
    10. Go to the piCorePlayer web interface, click the "Tweaks" tab and scroll down to "User commands" at the bottom
    11. In the first available field paste (without the quotes) this command:
    "/home/tc/hd-idle -i 0 -a sda -i 600"
    then click "Save"
    12. Go back to the main page and click the "Reboot" button to apply the new command

    The last item of the user command pasted in step 11 is the number of seconds to wait before sending the drive to sleep - 10 minutes in this case. I may reduce that to five minutes = 300 seconds.

    I wanted to find a way to do the file transfers and permissions without having to learn and use the Linux commands, and found Filezilla does the job well. https://filezilla-project.org/

    Thanks once more for all the help.

    Update:
    I had the LMS cache on the external hard disc, as instructed in the piCorePlayer installation instructions. The player was accessing the hard disc while streaming, which I assume is because the LMS cache is there.
    Since I've got the system on a 16 GB SD card I thought I'd resize the file system to use the whole SD card, and then move the LMS data and cache back to the SD card. Now the external disc sleeps while I'm streaming.
    And another nice bonus is that LMS searches in my music collection happen quickly, using the SD card rather than the hard disc.
    Resizing the File System is an option on the PCP main page; the location for LMS data is an option on the LMS tab in PCP.
    I'm very happy with how that has all turned out.
    Last edited by Viragored; 2020-05-17 at 20:50.
    Digital: Raspberry Pi 3B; piCorePlayer 6 + LMS 8; HifiBerry DAC+DSP > Yamaha RX-V2700 > Jamo speakers
    Analogue: HifiBerry DAC+DSP > Speakercraft MZC-66 > whole house
    Library: External USB drive
    Android: Squeezer app

  5. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    4,328
    Quote Originally Posted by Viragored View Post
    Excellent, thanks for finding that post, which I didn't discover with my searches. Because I don't know much about Linux it's taken me a while to work through exactly how to do all the steps, but the Pi now seems to be running LMS happily, and the hard disc is sleeping when it should.

    In case it helps another novice, these are the steps I ended up using to reach the goal on my Windows PC and piCorePlayer 6, beginning with going to the link slartibartfast posted. There may be better ways, but at least I could understand what was happening. Mostly...

    1. Click this link to download a file https://sourceforge.net/p/hd-idle/fe...1.05_armhf.deb
    2. Use 7-Zip to extract the downloaded file to a folder
    3. Use Windows Explorer to open that folder, which contains the file "data.tar"
    4. Use 7-Zip to "extract here" that file's contents - two folders, "etc" and "usr"
    5. Use Windows Explorer to open folder "usr" then folder "sbin" - that's where file "hd-idle" is
    6. Open Filezilla and connect to the Raspberry Pi (wherever it is on the network) with user "tc" and password "piCore" (if still default)
    7. Point Filezilla's left pane to the file "hd-idle", and the right pane to "/home/tc" (which is probably where Filezilla landed)
    8. Double click file "hd-idle" to copy it to the Pi
    9. Right-click the file "hd-idle" on the Pi, choose "File permissions", change the numeric value field to "755" and click "OK"
    10. Go to the piCorePlayer web interface, click the "Tweaks" tab and scroll down to "User commands" at the bottom
    11. In the first available field paste (without the quotes) this command:
    "/home/tc/hd-idle -i 0 -a sda -i 600"
    then click "Save"
    12. Go back to the main page and click the "Reboot" button to apply the new command

    The last item of the user command pasted in step 11 is the number of seconds to wait before sending the drive to sleep - 10 minutes in this case. I may reduce that to five minutes = 300 seconds.

    I wanted to find a way to do the file transfers and permissions without having to learn and use the Linux commands, and found Filezilla does the job well. https://filezilla-project.org/

    Thanks once more for all the help.

    Update:
    I had the LMS cache on the external hard disc, as instructed in the piCorePlayer installation instructions. The player was accessing the hard disc while streaming, which I assume is because the LMS cache is there.
    Since I've got the system on a 16 GB SD card I thought I'd resize the file system to use the whole SD card, and then move the LMS data and cache back to the SD card. Now the external disc sleeps while I'm streaming.
    Resizing the File System is an option on the PCP main page; the location for LMS data is an option on the LMS tab in PCP.
    I'm very happy with how that has all turned out.


    Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

  6. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    UK/London
    Posts
    2,602
    Maybe one of the pCP team could put hdidle into the pCP Extensions list which would then cut out a lot of those steps.
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), KCRW, Supla Finland, ABC Australia, CBC/Radio-Canada and RTE Ireland

  7. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Waihi Beach, New Zealand
    Posts
    167
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    Maybe one of the pCP team could put hdidle into the pCP Extensions list which would then cut out a lot of those steps.
    I'm a new kid on the block here! Would it be worth tagging one of the pCP team, if that's possible?
    Digital: Raspberry Pi 3B; piCorePlayer 6 + LMS 8; HifiBerry DAC+DSP > Yamaha RX-V2700 > Jamo speakers
    Analogue: HifiBerry DAC+DSP > Speakercraft MZC-66 > whole house
    Library: External USB drive
    Android: Squeezer app

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •