Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Wi-Fi 6

Quote Originally Posted by rajdude View Post
    My take is our beloved devices are now super old devices and have compatibility issues with newer routers.

You could try disabling WiFi6 (if you do not need it, e.g. if you really do not have any WiFi6 capable client).....that may resolve the problem......like it did for my XT8 pair. Unfortunately, for me, the whole point of upgrading my router was to get WiFi 6. I do have two gamer dudes in the house, who have very capable PCs

Another thing is you could try is if by mistake or otherwise, you have WPA3/WPA2 enabled (instead of just WPA2).

Another thing....separate the bands..........although that did not help me.

YMMV........good luck!

If nothing works, and you HAVE to keep the new routers............just setup a wifi network for just these two SB radios........using the old router.....daisy chained after the new router..............that was my backup plan.
    I tried this approach...
    New wifi6 mesh causes my wifi connected radios to lose connection after a few minutes.
    I added my older access point to create separate wifi network, 2.4g only, with unique ssid, channel. I still have same problem... radio will connect to the new network, but will drop after a few minutes.
    I suspect something about the wifi6 network is causing interference on the sperate net (even though they appear on non-competing channels).
    For now I've wired my key radio, but others are currently useless.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

yeah I had a similar experience.
    The mesh surely was causing the problem....but IMHO WiFi6 is NOT the problem, mesh is.

I switched to a standalone WiFi 6 router (Asus RT-AX3000)........worked find right out of the box!......"with" WiFi6 enabled and actively used in my house!

Quote Originally Posted by tcutting View Post
    I tried this approach...
    New wifi6 mesh causes my wifi connected radios to lose connection after a few minutes.
    I added my older access point to create separate wifi network, 2.4g only, with unique ssid, channel. I still have same problem... radio will connect to the new network, but will drop after a few minutes.
    I suspect something about the wifi6 network is causing interference on the sperate net (even though they appear on non-competing channels).
    For now I've wired my key radio, but others are currently useless.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

As far as I know wifi6 combines frequencies from 1 to 6GHz. I don't think that a SB can work with that. They only operate at 2.4GHz.
    I'm using ubiquiti unifi stuff and created a single SSID at 2.4 just for the oldies because when I activated fast roaming to get voip working they were unable to connect.
    SqueezeBoxes: 1x Transporter (Living room) 1x SB2 (shed), 1x Radio (Kitchen), 1x Boom (Dining room), 1x piCorePlayer (jacuzzi), 1x piCorePlayer (Garden) 1x OSMC + Squeezelite (Movie room), 1x Touch (Study 2), few spare unit's (SB2, SB3, Boom, Touch)
    Server: LMS on Pi3B+ 8.1.2 on PcP 7.0.1
    Network: Draytek, Netgear Smart Switch 24p, Ubiquiti PoE, 3x Ubiquity

AFAIK......... WiFi6 is a protocol....it can work on on 2.4 GHz and/or 5 GHz bands. My router has option to turn Wifi 6 on/off on those two bands individually. But that did not make any difference in my XT8 mesh system. When I deleted the mesh the SB radios able to connect to the XT8 a little more reliably. They did connect even with the mesh on..........but would disconnect after a few minutes. I guess you are experiencing the same thing.........guessing "fast roaming" is the same thing as "smart connect".

I also created a seperate SSID for 2.4 GHz....that is the way to go IMHO for all devices....for example I have some iOT devices which are also 2.4 GHz only.........with single SSID enabled for both bands........it was almost impossible for them to connect.

Now I have no mesh, and no problems!
    I am not convinced that mesh is really needed. I recommend getting a single powerful router and placing it centrally......that is what I did............but I totally understand that for many folks ideal, central placement may not be possible.

Quote Originally Posted by edwin2006 View Post
    As far as I know wifi6 combines frequencies from 1 to 6GHz. I don't think that a SB can work with that. They only operate at 2.4GHz.
    I'm using ubiquiti unifi stuff and created a single SSID at 2.4 just for the oldies because when I activated fast roaming to get voip working they were unable to connect.

Quote Originally Posted by rajdude View Post
    AFAIK......... WiFi6 is a protocol....it can work on on 2.4 GHz and/or 5 GHz bands. My router has option to turn Wifi 6 on/off on those two bands individually. But that did not make any difference in my XT8 mesh system. When I deleted the mesh the SB radios able to connect to the XT8 a little more reliably. They did connect even with the mesh on..........but would disconnect after a few minutes. I guess you are experiencing the same thing.........guessing "fast roaming" is the same thing as "smart connect".

I also created a seperate SSID for 2.4 GHz....that is the way to go IMHO for all devices....for example I have some iOT devices which are also 2.4 GHz only.........with single SSID enabled for both bands........it was almost impossible for them to connect.

Now I have no mesh, and no problems!
    I am not convinced that mesh is really needed. I recommend getting a single powerful router and placing it centrally......that is what I did............but I totally understand that for many folks ideal, central placement may not be possible.
    My experience is that after years of reliable service, my Radio started losing connection to my "single powerful router", and my guess is that one of my neighbors upgraded to a mesh system which is interfering with my old school wifi setup. Unless you live in an area with no neighbors, don't be too surprised if your solution stops working.

Oh, and btw, I got rid of my old router to upgrade to a mesh, as it's better suited to a two story 2500 sq ft house. My TP-Link Deco M9 Plus system features an extra ethernet jack on each unit, so I use one for the radio.
    Last edited by familyfung; 2021-01-29 at 09:53.

Same problems here, discovered it ws WIFI6

Same Problems with my squeezebox devices. Discovered it was WiFi6 also. No solution.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToreBB View Post
    Hi there!

I have recently bought myself a new Asus Wi-Fi 6 Router (Asus RT-AX58U), and running it in Access Point mode.

I have found that the 3 SB Radios I have connected with wifi looses their connection after a few minutes.
    A reboot alway brings them back online, again only for a few minutes.

Have also tried another Asus (RT-AX88U), same problem.

Now these Asus routers are set up as a mesh system, but this made no difference.

I found that disabling Wi-Fi 6 in the wireless settings of the routers solves the problem,
    regardless of running them seperatly in stand alone mode or togheter as a mesh system.

Also discovered that disabling Wi-Fi 6 is not permanent if the router is running in "Smart connect" mode.
    A reboot / power loss will make Wi-Fi 6 enabled again.

If you turn Smart connect off and disable Wi-Fi 6 for 2.4 it is permanent.

Anyone else experienced the same with Asus?

Tore BB

Same problem 😡

3 SB Touches, 2 Classics, 2 Boomboxes , a Duet and a Squeeze radio...what now.

Quote Originally Posted by ToreBB View Post
    Hi there!

I have recently bought myself a new Asus Wi-Fi 6 Router (Asus RT-AX58U), and running it in Access Point mode.

I have found that the 3 SB Radios I have connected with wifi looses their connection after a few minutes.
    A reboot alway brings them back online, again only for a few minutes.

Have also tried another Asus (RT-AX88U), same problem.

Now these Asus routers are set up as a mesh system, but this made no difference.

I found that disabling Wi-Fi 6 in the wireless settings of the routers solves the problem,
    regardless of running them seperatly in stand alone mode or togheter as a mesh system.

Also discovered that disabling Wi-Fi 6 is not permanent if the router is running in "Smart connect" mode.
    A reboot / power loss will make Wi-Fi 6 enabled again.

If you turn Smart connect off and disable Wi-Fi 6 for 2.4 it is permanent.

Anyone else experienced the same with Asus?

Tore BB

Quote Originally Posted by Claudius View Post
    3 SB Touches, 2 Classics, 2 Boomboxes , a Duet and a Squeeze radio...what now.
    Have you done this:

turn Smart connect off and disable Wi-Fi 6 for 2.4
    Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP8.x/4TB>LMS 8.2.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP8.x/4TB>LMS 8.2.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>foobar2000
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir3 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, Material Skin, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: Ripping: dBpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

An update to my post of 24/1. Even with Wi-fi 6 AX mode disabled for 2.4ghz band and ip address reserved for the Touch, intermittent disconnection occurs. iPeng says player not found. Touch will not connect to LMS music folder running on PC. Takes two consecutive reboots of Touch to reconnect. The battle continues ...

Give up on 'consumer' WiFi products and move over to Unifi products. https://unifi-network.ui.com/

All the diagnotics you need via the Controller and superbly reliable WiFi. Lots of products to choose from to suit your individual needs: https://www.ui.com/products/#default