Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Wi-Fi 6

Iĺd just use a separate older Access Point with separate SSID purely for the SBs
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Boom
    Kitchen UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Everything controlled by iPeng & Material on iOS

Is it known yet if this is an "Squeezebox / ASUS" problem, or a "Squeezebox Radio / Wi-Fi 6" problem?

My network involves 4 access points, one of which I just replaced with an ASUS AX3000 -- and that's when the connection problem started. The ASUS AX3000 is the only access point that supports Wi-Fi 6.

It's interesting that my SqueezeBox Radio connects a different access point (not the ASUS AX3000). I.e., just adding the ASUS AX3000 to the network provokes the connection problem between the radio and a different access point (the radio shows a strong signal, but all bars are red, not white).

The connection problem does not occur when Wi-Fi 6 is turned off.

I have been using Asus AC88 and nowdays AX88 for a rather long time, and the way I kind of solved all this: My 2.4GHz Wifi is setup separatly to only support old stuff that don't like new modern solutions. For the moment this is just 4 devices: SB Radio, Google Nexus 7 (2013) and two Samsung TAB 10.5S (Android tablets). My 5GHz radio has all things turned on, incl Wifi6. But not so the 2.4 which uses the "Legacy" setting on supported devices (that limits N to 54Mbit/s, and B and G support - that's about it), also fixed channel (4 in my case).

Wi-Fi 6 problem avoided by NOT using an ASUS AX3000

The problem (quoted below) does NOT occur when using either of these two routers (instead of an ASUS AX3000):

TP-Link Archer AX50
    Netgear AX1800 RAX15

In both cases, Wi-Fi 6 is enabled and works well. And no problem with the Squeezebox Boom.

Unknown if ASUS has fixed the AX3000 (I reported the problem to them.)

P.S. As the TP-Link Archer ran warmer than I preferred, I returned it in favor of the Netgear AX1800 RAX15, which runs much cooler.

Quote Originally Posted by squmhe View Post
    Is it known yet if this is an "Squeezebox / ASUS" problem, or a "Squeezebox Radio / Wi-Fi 6" problem?

My network involves 4 access points, one of which I just replaced with an ASUS AX3000 -- and that's when the connection problem started. The ASUS AX3000 is the only access point that supports Wi-Fi 6.

It's interesting that my SqueezeBox Radio connects a different access point (not the ASUS AX3000). I.e., just adding the ASUS AX3000 to the network provokes the connection problem between the radio and a different access point (the radio shows a strong signal, but all bars are red, not white).

The connection problem does not occur when Wi-Fi 6 is turned off.

I had an ASUS XT8 for about 3 months. Spent two months almost daily with ASUS Tech Support trying to get it to work. It would just dump all the Squeezeboxes offline for no apparent reason. No amount of crying, cussing, screaming, ranting, offerings to the gods did any good. I finally returned it. Had to pay a restocking fee, but I just couldn't waste any more time on it.

Waiting for the Ubiquiti Unify line to get the Wifi 6 stuff out of Beta and I'll try again.

Update

There was a firmware upgrade to my Asus routers (1 running as AP + 1 mesh point) recently.

It still has WiFi-6 disabled in the 2.4 wifi settings, but now the problem with the Squeezebox Radios loosing connection is back!
    Also tried switching my Asus to b/g only for 2.4 but problem is still there!

Btw. I have one SB Radio which is running wired network, and this is not affected (as last time).

Just a friendly warning (again) to avoid Asus AX models for WiFi-6! I will setup a separate "old" 802.11g AP for the SB Rs for now.

Hopefully Asus will solve this problem sometime?!

Tore BB
    Last edited by ToreBB; 2020-10-22 at 11:52.

Any news on this topic?
    I have RT-AX56U with version 3.0.0.4.384_9424, and if it's not coming a firmware update within the two upcoming weeks I'm going to return the router. From time to time I'n also facing some problems with Chromecast (TV) och Chromecast Audio.
    BTW, have anyone tried if Merlin firmware is working better?

yeah, I also have the exact same problem. Two Squeezebox Radios plus two Asus XT8 routers in mesh config. The only way to make the radios stay connected is to disable WiFi 6.

I have tested all the options posted above and then some, nothing helps. Now I have a case open with Asus. The guys on their tech support chat said since I have already done everything they would normally suggest, they are escalating this case to higher level engineers. So far, they have asked for logs and system config file.

For reference I have tried changing these settings, with no improvement

* Change the Channel Bandwidth: 20 MHz (https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1030641/)
    * Change the control Channel: 1, 6 or 11
    * Change the Authentication Method: WPA/WPA2-Personal .
    * Change the WPA Encryption to: TKIP+AES
    * Disabling beamforming, both settings
    * Setting up the problematic clients in the roaming block list
    * Bluetooth Coexistence to enable or pre-emptive
    * Modulation scheme to MCS 7 and 9
    * Disabling WiFi 6 mode << This solves the problem, but I cannot do this.
    The whole point of buying a new router system was to be able to use the new Wi-Fi 6. I have two gaming PCs in my home who can benefit from Wi-Fi 6 enhancements.

As for what Paul suggested above:
    Go to [Wireless] > [General] page. Turn off [Enable Smart Connect] and select the [Band] for your network devices.
    Ummm, I do not want to do that since that is the whole point of this mesh router system. I do not want to deal with two SSIDs

Disable [802.11ax / WiFi 6 mode]
    Tried, works, but cannot/will not disable 6

Disable [Wi-Fi Agile Multiband]
    The default setting is already disabled

Disable [Target Wake Time]
    Tried, did not help

Disable [Protected Management Frames]
    Tried, did not help

BTW, there is a similar thread here:
    https://www.snbforums.com/threads/ze...ogitech.67859/
    Last edited by rajdude; 2020-12-16 at 11:14. Reason: added info

Quote Originally Posted by paic View Post
    Any news on this topic?
    I have RT-AX56U with version 3.0.0.4.384_9424, and if it's not coming a firmware update within the two upcoming weeks I'm going to return the router. From time to time I'n also facing some problems with Chromecast (TV) och Chromecast Audio.
    BTW, have anyone tried if Merlin firmware is working better?

Uh Oh............I have both those things (Chromecast (TV) and Chromecast Audio), but have not tried connecting them to the Asus router system yet (they seldom get used).........now gotta test them......

Well, I just connected and tested those two devices with the XT8.
    Chromecast audio connects to 5 GHz
    Chromecast TV connects to 2.4 GHz only

Looks like they have stable connection.
    There! I jinxed it! LoL
    Will keep an eye on them though.

What problem did you face, BTW?

Quote Originally Posted by rajdude View Post
    Uh Oh............I have both those things (Chromecast (TV) and Chromecast Audio), but have not tried connecting them to the Asus router system yet (they seldom get used).........now gotta test them......