Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wi-Fi 6

Iĺd just use a separate older Access Point with separate SSID purely for the SBs
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

Is it known yet if this is an "Squeezebox / ASUS" problem, or a "Squeezebox Radio / Wi-Fi 6" problem?

My network involves 4 access points, one of which I just replaced with an ASUS AX3000 -- and that's when the connection problem started. The ASUS AX3000 is the only access point that supports Wi-Fi 6.

It's interesting that my SqueezeBox Radio connects a different access point (not the ASUS AX3000). I.e., just adding the ASUS AX3000 to the network provokes the connection problem between the radio and a different access point (the radio shows a strong signal, but all bars are red, not white).

The connection problem does not occur when Wi-Fi 6 is turned off.

I have been using Asus AC88 and nowdays AX88 for a rather long time, and the way I kind of solved all this: My 2.4GHz Wifi is setup separatly to only support old stuff that don't like new modern solutions. For the moment this is just 4 devices: SB Radio, Google Nexus 7 (2013) and two Samsung TAB 10.5S (Android tablets). My 5GHz radio has all things turned on, incl Wifi6. But not so the 2.4 which uses the "Legacy" setting on supported devices (that limits N to 54Mbit/s, and B and G support - that's about it), also fixed channel (4 in my case).

Wi-Fi 6 problem avoided by NOT using an ASUS AX3000

The problem (quoted below) does NOT occur when using either of these two routers (instead of an ASUS AX3000):

TP-Link Archer AX50
    Netgear AX1800 RAX15

In both cases, Wi-Fi 6 is enabled and works well. And no problem with the Squeezebox Boom.

Unknown if ASUS has fixed the AX3000 (I reported the problem to them.)

P.S. As the TP-Link Archer ran warmer than I preferred, I returned it in favor of the Netgear AX1800 RAX15, which runs much cooler.

Quote Originally Posted by squmhe View Post
    Is it known yet if this is an "Squeezebox / ASUS" problem, or a "Squeezebox Radio / Wi-Fi 6" problem?

My network involves 4 access points, one of which I just replaced with an ASUS AX3000 -- and that's when the connection problem started. The ASUS AX3000 is the only access point that supports Wi-Fi 6.

It's interesting that my SqueezeBox Radio connects a different access point (not the ASUS AX3000). I.e., just adding the ASUS AX3000 to the network provokes the connection problem between the radio and a different access point (the radio shows a strong signal, but all bars are red, not white).

The connection problem does not occur when Wi-Fi 6 is turned off.

I had an ASUS XT8 for about 3 months. Spent two months almost daily with ASUS Tech Support trying to get it to work. It would just dump all the Squeezeboxes offline for no apparent reason. No amount of crying, cussing, screaming, ranting, offerings to the gods did any good. I finally returned it. Had to pay a restocking fee, but I just couldn't waste any more time on it.

Waiting for the Ubiquiti Unify line to get the Wifi 6 stuff out of Beta and I'll try again.

Update

There was a firmware upgrade to my Asus routers (1 running as AP + 1 mesh point) recently.

It still has WiFi-6 disabled in the 2.4 wifi settings, but now the problem with the Squeezebox Radios loosing connection is back!
    Also tried switching my Asus to b/g only for 2.4 but problem is still there!

Btw. I have one SB Radio which is running wired network, and this is not affected (as last time).

Just a friendly warning (again) to avoid Asus AX models for WiFi-6! I will setup a separate "old" 802.11g AP for the SB Rs for now.

Hopefully Asus will solve this problem sometime?!

Tore BB
    Last edited by ToreBB; 2020-10-22 at 11:52.