Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • th00ht
    • Feb 2008

Society of Sound

Now that after more than a year B&W Society of Sound is no more I'm lost. Where do I get good music suggestions or downloads?
    Living:Transporter Second Edition (smashing wiki page!), Touch, Denon AVR 1912 + two CM8, two CM1, CMC
    Study:Classic, Quad 303 + two Quad ESL 57 & Grace Design m900 with AKG 240 MK11
    Kitchen:piCorePlayer/Hifiberry DAC+ pro, Kanto YU2
    last.fm, SoS, EAC
  • Grumpy Bob
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by th00ht
    Now that after more than a year B&W Society of Sound is no more I'm lost. Where do I get good music suggestions or downloads?
    I subscribe to a couple of magazines (one more classic rock, the other more cutting edge avant-garde), I follow some websites, I see reviews online. I buy from a variety of sources: Qobuz, 7digital, Bandcamp for example; physical copy is usually vinyl, generally bought via Norman Records in Leeds or Bandcamp, both by mail order. I audition with Spotify.

Plus I see suggestions here!

Robert
    Home: Raspberry Pi 4/pCP7.0/LMS8.1.2/Material with files on QNAP TS-251A
    Touch > DacMagic 100 > Naim Audio Nait 3 > Mission 752 (plus Rega Planar 3 > Rega Fono Mini; Naim CD3)
    2 x Squeezebox Radios, 1 X Squeezebox 3 (retired), 1 x SqueezeAMP
    Office: LMS8.0.0 running on Raspberry Pi3; Raspberry Pi 3 player with touchscreen/piCorePlayer/IQaudIO DAC and Amp
    Portable: Raspberry Pi 3B/pCP7.0.1/LMS8.1.2/Material, files on Seagate portable drive, powered via power brick

Comment

• Apesbrain
      • Jun 2005

For classical, I always start at eclassical.com. "Daily Deal" is often fun, and around $5.

Comment

• RonM
        • Apr 2008

I think you have to hunt out your own sources, depending on your taste in music. It's good to have several, to get perspective.

For me, with a predilection for Folk and "Roots" music, I subscribe to a couple of periodicals and monitor some websites. Specifically, Penguin Eggs in Canada (which has a pretty broad international coverage of folk), and No Depression, in the US, which is more American Roots oriented. The hard copy of No Depression is great, but music reviews are really only on the website. I also keep my eye out for other print sources, newspapers and magazines.

It's harder for jazz, at least for me. I try to follow artists I'm particularly interested in (e.g. Maria Schneider) through their websites or other online activity, and look for reviews and discussions in publications (precious few these days). It's hard to stay tuned to newly emerging artists.

Classical is also hard. I don't subscribe to classical periodicals, but try to follow discussions in publications. Yesterday I was reading about the Montreal Symphony and their special recording location, and do believe I'll follow that up.

I also listen to a few music blogs. For instance, Steve Dawson's "Music Makers and Soul Shakers" is a series of interviews with musicians, producers, engineers, etc, and these invariably involve discussions of artists and music, leading me to investigate. My favorite new-to-me recordings of the last few years have come from this source (jazz saxophonist Charles Lloyd and his recent set of records with various jazz and roots musicians in particular).

These days, it doesn't seem we get fed possibilities through the regular media quite so much, so it takes a bit of searching and attention. Which is good -- we can find our own niche(s), at the same time we expand our horizons.

R.
        LMS on a dedicated server (PiCorePlayer)
        Transporter (Ethernet) - main listen ining, Onkyo receiver, Paradigm speakers
        Touch (WiFi) - home theater 5.1, Sony receiver, Energy speakers
        Boom 1 (WiFi) - work-space
        Boom 2 (WiFi) - various (deck, garage, etc.)
        Radio (WiFi) - home office
        Control - Squeeze Control (Android mobile), 2 Controllers (seldom used), Squeeze Remote (on Surface Pro 4)
        Touch x 1 - spare
        UE Radio x 1 - spare
        Boom x 1 - spare
        Controller x 1 - Spare

Comment

Working...