Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need help with Jazz Genre - Style tagging / organization

Need help with Jazz Genre - Style tagging / organization

Looking to tackle the jazz tracks in collection (right now very inconsistent)

Plan is to first collect tracks in artist folder, then adding artists to style folder, then add to Jazz directory (Jazz - Swing - Glenn Miller - In The Mood.flac )

Issue is multiple Jazz styles --

Martha Tilton - Jazz and vocal style
    Chick Corea - Jazz and fusion Style
    King Oliver is Jazz and Dixieland style
    Glenn Miller - Jazz and Swing style

etc....

I do not know how to add styles to a track...I was thinking of creating custom genres like Jazz-Fusion, Jazz-Swing etc... Looking for consistency in tagging scheme

Any jazz colectors out there ? Advice is appreciated....
    ----------------------------------------------
    Bill Clark, Windham, VT
    Logitech Media Server Version: 7.9.3 - 1591161343 @ Thu Jun 4 04:13:32 CEST 2020
    Hostname: ubuntu-lms - ProxMox Virtual Environment 5.4-3 | Ubuntu 16.04 xenial
    piCorePlayer | piCorePlayer v6.0.0 | www v0005 | linux 4.19.105-pcpCore_v7 | piCore v10.3pCP | Squeezelite v1.9.6-1206-pCP
    -----------------------------------------------

I am not a jazz fan but you can have multiple genre tags and separate them with \\

You could use Jazz as your main genre and then have another for Swing & etc.

You could look online at how Jazz is tagged or you can have your own system. Your music, your categories!

What I did was looking at several categories used by different websites and created my own list from those;

Bop
    Cool
    Early / Swing / Big Band
    Free / Avant Garde
    Fusion
    Hard Bop
    Latin / World Fusion
    Nu / Smooth / Contemporary
    Post Bop
    Vocal

On all albums -> genre = Jazz. I use the Style tag to tag the above styles. Most of the albums fall into 1 style but for some I have 2 styles tagged. You can setup custom browse to show for example the newly added Fusion albums or a random list of Post Bop albums.
    Living: EtherRegen -> Ultrarendu -> Benchmark DAC2 HGC -> Benchmark AHB2 -> ATC SCM19 v2 & Sennheiser HD650
    Kitchen: SB Touch -> Audio Pro Addon T10 gen2
    Kids rooms: SB Booms
    Bedroom: SB Boom & SB Radio
    Controls: iPeng, Material Skin & LMS via internet
    Server: Windows 10 Pro with LMS 7.9.3
    Spare: 2 SB Touch, 1 SB3, 2 SB Radio

Quote Originally Posted by Blackfiction View Post
    What I did was looking at several categories used by different websites and created my own list from those;

Bop
    Cool
    Early / Swing / Big Band
    Free / Avant Garde
    Fusion
    Hard Bop
    Latin / World Fusion
    Nu / Smooth / Contemporary
    Post Bop
    Vocal

On all albums -> genre = Jazz. I use the Style tag to tag the above styles. Most of the albums fall into 1 style but for some I have 2 styles tagged. You can setup custom browse to show for example the newly added Fusion albums or a random list of Post Bop albums.
    THX-

How do you tag a style ? I just can't see how to do it ... Obviously tagging everything as Jazz makes no sense - I just cannot figure out how to add a style tag to a track -- what sw allows me to do this ??
    Bill Clark, Windham, VT
    Logitech Media Server Version: 7.9.3 - 1591161343 @ Thu Jun 4 04:13:32 CEST 2020
    piCorePlayer | piCorePlayer v6.0.0 | www v0005 | linux 4.19.105-pcpCore_v7 | piCore v10.3pCP | Squeezelite v1.9.6-1206-pCP

If you are talking about an album that is all one style give it a genre such as Bop or Swing. If you are talking about an album w multiple styles you could add the style to the track probably in the beginning to make it easier to see. What Shozzer said above would work for full albums as well such as genre of Jazz SWing, Jazz Bop etc.

That makes sense -- if I approach this as an album, then I can apply a specifiv genre to it -- I don't want to make it terribly complicated, just consistent

So, simply if I have a folder of Glenn Miller, treat the contents like an album, and tag the whole lot swing. Likewise, for a folder full of John Mcaughlin, tag the contents fusion.

IOW, use specific genres to account for jazz style. (bop, dixieland etc) ..
    Bill Clark, Windham, VT

I add a genre to all my tracks, but only one string value.

For instance, I have:

R&B
    R&B - Rap
    R&B - Funk
    R&B - Disco
    R&B - Reggae

It's not perfect or ideal, but it mostly works for my purposes.

The difficult ones for me are guys like SRV... is it rock? Blues? Blues rock? Rock blues?

But I apply genre on a per track basis and just bite the bullet and pick one when it isn't otherwise obvious. Part. Of my reason for doing it this way is so that my files are universally compatible with any app.

I also do a less specific genre breakdown in my folder hierarchy, so if u create a proper query, u could have SRV included by virtue of its genre tag, or folder location. (Meaning, say the genre tag was rock but the folder location blues, etc)
    Using: Win7 64 + LMS 7.9 & Duet & ipads w/the logitech app, and ipeng on an ipod
    http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.ph..._Artists_logic & http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Compilations

Aren't multiple genres with separator possible (without Custom Scan)? My classical tracks are ALL tagged "Classical" and most of them also have a second, some even a third or fourth tag:

Classical;Cello Concertos;Piano Concertos;Violin Concertos

That would be how I tag a triple concerto. Now it can be found in all these genres.
    QLMS 8.0.0@2.20 x64 (digimaster) with perl 5.30.1 / QNAP 469L QTS 4.3.4

Quote Originally Posted by dolodobendan View Post
    Aren't multiple genres with separator possible (without Custom Scan)? My classical tracks are ALL tagged "Classical" and most of them also have a second, some even a third or fourth tag:

Classical;Cello Concertos;Piano Concertos;Violin Concertos

That would be how I tag a triple concerto. Now it can be found in all these genres.
    When you tag them, what sw do u use ? I have been using MP3Tag, and it says you need to use a \\ to create multiple genres ...
    Bill Clark, Windham, VT

Quote Originally Posted by kappclark View Post
    When you tag them, what sw do u use ? I have been using MP3Tag, and it says you need to use a \\ to create multiple genres ...
    If you play tracks in Squeezebox it will recognise either ; (or a different character if selected in the Control Panel) or \\. It depends on where else you play the tracks - other software will do different things with multiple genre tags. You can use MP3tag to tag with ; or \\.