Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pi 3 plug etc..

Pi 3 plug etc..

Hi all

Just wondering if ras Pi 3b adaptor, plug will work on Ras Pi 4..?

Also Because THE pi 4 runs hot and mines gonna be on 24/7 Is it good to get a case with fan..? Think of one of these :
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/GeeekPi-Acr...%2C163&sr=8-14

However, if you can advise on a better one then any advice welcome...Also the best (cheapest) place to get a pi4.

Im also unsure if a external HD without a power supply will work (Not feeding enough power to the pi)

Also I think its pcp 6 now..can you drop me the link to get a pi up and going..To SBT

thanks, all stay safe.

The recommendation is to use the RPi4 supply, especially if you're going to plug additional peripherals into it. I'm sure you can get it up and running using a Pi3 supply though.

I think everywhere is pretty much the same price, in the UK I just buy the bundles from the Pi Hut, which contain PSU, Pi, small SD card.

I didn't bother with a fan for my RPi4, although I did install a heatsink. They've improved the firmware in the last year, and it doesn't seem to get very hot at all (it's running as my LMS server, WLAN controller and other things), and I doubt you'll need a fan if you're just running Picoreplayer.

Quote Originally Posted by tw99 View Post
    The recommendation is to use the RPi4 supply, especially if you're going to plug additional peripherals into it. I'm sure you can get it up and running using a Pi3 supply though.

I think everywhere is pretty much the same price, in the UK I just buy the bundles from the Pi Hut, which contain PSU, Pi, small SD card.

I didn't bother with a fan for my RPi4, although I did install a heatsink. They've improved the firmware in the last year, and it doesn't seem to get very hot at all (it's running as my LMS server, WLAN controller and other things), and I doubt you'll need a fan if you're just running Picoreplayer.
    If you don't need a HAT then the flirc case reduces Pi4's temp without a fan

Jeff

Want a webapp ? Get SqueezeLite-X ! https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...l=1#post903953

Quote Originally Posted by daleyb View Post
    Hi all

Also Because THE pi 4 runs hot and mines gonna be on 24/7 Is it good to get a case with fan..? Think of one of these :
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/GeeekPi-Acr...%2C163&sr=8-14

However, if you can advise on a better one then any advice welcome...Also the best (cheapest) place to get a pi4.

Im also unsure if a external HD without a power supply will work (Not feeding enough power to the pi)

Also I think its pcp 6 now..can you drop me the link to get a pi up and going..To SBT

thanks, all stay safe.
    I have a 2TB HDD and a 500GB SSD hanging off my Pi4 using a 5v/3amp supply, no problems whatsoever.

I use and recommend this case, runs 24/7 no fan needed.

Server - LMS 8.0.0 Pi4B 4GB/Flirc case/pCP 6.1.0 18K library, playlists & LMS cache on SSD (ntfs)
    Study - Pi3B+/pCP 5.0.0/pi screen/HiFiBerry DAC+/jivelite,
    Lounge - Pi2/pCP 5.0.0 > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > AudioEngine DAC1 > AVI DM5
    Dining Room - Squeezebox Boom
    Garage - Squeezebox Touch > Edifier R980T

Spares - 1xTouch, 1xSB3, 1xRadio, 7xRPi

Instructions for downloading, installing, and getting started with piCorePlayer 6 can be found here. (I'm about to buy the rPi4 with the FLIRC case myself by the way for running LMS)

https://www.picoreplayer.org/
    Home: VBA 4TB (2.5) or rPi4B/pCP6.0/4TB>LMS 7.9.3>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4) or rPi4B/pCP6.0/4TB>LMS 7.9.1>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet, Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>LMS 7.9.3>Squeezelite
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP4.0, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir2 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: ripping: dbpa > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

Hi all

I've had a 2.5" 1TB Toshiba USB drive running with a Raspi 2 for more than a year without problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff07971 View Post
    If you don't need a HAT then the flirc case reduces Pi4's temp without a fan

Jeff
    Hi Jeff, does wifi and bluetooth work with the Flirc case? I was thinking they would'nt since the case is metallic.

Quote Originally Posted by waldo View Post
    Hi Jeff, does wifi and bluetooth work with the Flirc case? I was thinking they would'nt since the case is metallic.
    I'm sorry I don't know, I never use wifi or bluetooth

Jeff

Want a webapp ? Get SqueezeLite-X ! https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...l=1#post903953

Using a Micro-USB to USB-C adapter should be fine as others have said (depending on what else you power from the Pi).

What I do nowadays when I get a new Pi of which ever generation is buy higher spec USB-C power supply with a USB-C -> Micro-USB adapter.
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), KCRW, Supla Finland, ABC Australia, CBC/Radio-Canada and RTE Ireland

PI 4 con'td

Thanks all for info.

So If I am only running the pi4 For LMS to my SBT....I take it I will only need 2GB MODEL. No Noobs just a 8GB SD card TO "burn" PCP on it..? But Will need a Monitor hooked up to my Pi to see its installed...??