Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is Rebuffering the Death of the Squeezebox?

Hi all,

Posted here a few times and appreciate the community support and especially the dedication of Michael to keep these devices going.

After losing ability to listen to podcasts through mysqueezebox.com due to https I began using LMS which does allow connection to my podcasts but with intermittent rebuffering and rebuffering failed. I've tried all recommended troubleshooting but can't eliminate the problem. My Wi-fi is at 100% connection, rebooted modem and router, set static IP address, tried VPN on and off and tried proxied streaming versus direct streaming among others.

When working the SB Radio meets my needs absolutely perfectly. Listen to podcasts while falling asleep, use sleep timer and use alarm clock to wake up. Pretty basic use case. If you have any additional recommendations I'd be glad to try them. Ethernet connection is unfortunately not an option. If it's the end of the line for this great radio does anyone have recommendations for devices that would meet my simple use case?

Thanks for all the help.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Ethernet connection is unfortunately not an option.
    If the issue is failing wifi hardware in the Radio and ethernet connection still works OK and you want to keep the radio then you could use a travel nano router in reverse AP/wireless bridge mode so that nanorouter connects to home Wifi and connects to Radio using Ethernet. Something like a TP-Link TL-WR802N or GL.iNet GL-MT300N-V2, there are many others - reverse AP/wireless bridge functionality is key.

I just fixed my re-buffering problems and flaky Wi-Fi. For some reason the SB Radio does not like having two Squeezebox servers running at the same time on different PC's. Worth checking there are no other instances of LMS alive. In my case I set up a new instance of LMS on a new PC and left the other instance running on a different network PC as a fall back. Result was the Radio Wi-Fi icon constantly changing between red and white and the players re-buffering. I can sit here now and switch on the second LMS and immediately see the problem. Stopping one server clears the issue.

Thanks for the response.

I did have 2 instances of LSM running on 2 separate computers in the past but killed one of them a couple of days ago and it didn't fix the problem. I have 2 SB radios so today I'm going to switch them to see if the backup unit has the same rebufferng issue.

Stop the 2nd LMS, factory reset the Radio and try re-connecting to the only discovered server. During my testing I also connected using ethernet before reverting to Wi-Fi but not sure if that had an effect. Are you running LMS 8.0?

I'm running Logitech Media Server Version: 7.9.2. Funny, when I check mysqueezebox.com the download there is 7.7.6.

I'll try the factory reset route now that the second instance of LMS is shut down

Grace Digital Mondo+ Classic

Well I finally gave up on the SB Radio after multiple rounds of rebuffering while trying to fall asleep. I received a new Grace Digital Mondo+ Classic today and it is everything that the SB Radio used to be plus much more. Has a wireless phone charger, USB connector and Chromecast support. It somehow found my NAS and stored music without me doing anything but connecting to my Wifi network.

For anybody in my position who wants a bedside clock radio that plays podcasts and internet radio I highly recommend this product. The only negative I have is that it's quite a bit larger than the SB Radio.

Now I have to figure out what to do with 2 SB Radios.

It's a pitty that the radio is not working for you, it really sounds like a network issue Esther at radio end or lms end (btw is the lms wired connected?)
    Anyway I would say, put them on sale and I'm sure you make someone happy.
    Btw what is your location?
    SqueezeBoxes: 1x Transporter (Living room) 1x SB2 (shed), 1x Radio (Kitchen), 1x Boom (Dining room), 1x piCorePlayer (jacuzzi), 1x piCorePlayer (Garden) 1x OSMC + Squeezelite (Movie room), 1x Touch (Study 2), few spare unit's
    Server: LMS on Pi3 7.9.1. on PcP 3.21
    Network: AVM Fritzbox, Netgear Smart Switch 24p, 3x Ubiquity

Not a Radio, but I've just had a Boom fail in this way. Fine for years on the same Wi-Fi system and then one day it started rebuffering periodically and eventually couldn't make it through a song. Absolutely nothing else changed for months, and no other players or devices on the same Wi-Fi network have an issue.

Before that, a few years back I had a similar issue when a Squeezebox 3 died in a slightly similar way (spontaneously rebooting during playback).

I know that the wifi modules sometimes fail, perhaps thats also the issue in this case?
    SqueezeBoxes: 1x Transporter (Living room) 1x SB2 (shed), 1x Radio (Kitchen), 1x Boom (Dining room), 1x piCorePlayer (jacuzzi), 1x piCorePlayer (Garden) 1x OSMC + Squeezelite (Movie room), 1x Touch (Study 2), few spare unit's
    Server: LMS on Pi3 7.9.1. on PcP 3.21
    Network: AVM Fritzbox, Netgear Smart Switch 24p, 3x Ubiquity