Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rbl View Post
    It sounds like Raspian will give me a fully functional Pi with LMS still working 100% which is its main purpose.

I am an oldie - grew up on MS-DOS (and still prefer it to Windows explorer much of the time) and C/C++, but I have never touched Unix. is Raspian going to be a big learning curve as I don't have a lot of time at the moment, in which case Ill go for piCorePlayer?
    +1 for the PcP route. My experience i case it helps your decision making. I was running LMS on windows and tired of having the keep my desktop on, or, after shutting down the PC, wondering "what happened to the music?"?

With the help of many in this community I built a PcP on a pi3B+ with a 2TB USB HDD as a LMS Server only. Hardware total about $USD100. Super easy. Then I built another for my seasonal cabin. I am retired so they play all the time when I am there. Rock solid. I could not be happier. I have built 2 others for friends.

An additional benefit - I don't do cloud and the power is not on at the cabin when I am not there, so I had to decide how to keep my two libraries in sync. I got another HDD that I call the "Travel HDD". I setup FreeFileSync so that I can run it when I am getting ready to go from one location to another, and sync when I arrive.

The bonus is in using Samba on the PCP, I can access the free space on the HDD to backup my user files from one location to another in the same sync. That way, not only do I have file backup at home, I also have one at another location, and visa versa. I also can't tell you how many times I was looking for file and realized it was on the desktop of the other location, and smiled because I could just access it through the backup HDD locally.

I know that in this day of clouds, and network over the internet what I do is a bit Fred Flintstone, but it is easy once setup, and it works for me.

Just thought I would share my experience. Many thanks to the SB founding fathers, PcP developers, and all of the friendly support on this forum. ALOT of people spend ALOT of time helping others

Jim

Thanks very much for the offer, but I'll try doing it from scratch as I have to learn the ropes. If I run into problems then I'll take you up on your offer. Think I'll start with PiCorePlayer for quick proof of concept and then move to Raspian...
    That's what I did. As you will discover, the RPi boots from a SD card, so you can have PiCorePlayer on one card and Raspian on another and change OS's by powering down, swap cards and power up again. This should give you the confidence to experiment with Raspian knowing you can easily go back to PiCorePlayer and LMS if something should go wrong.

Well I got the Pi4 and within a couple of hours had LMS running on Raspian and running my 4 sync'd SB3s perfectly with the Pi4 on Wifi. That includes BC iPlayer! So far it seems more reliable and effortless than on Windows which gave me 2 decades of niggles. Fingers crossed!!! Thanks to everyone getting me on this path in the first place.

But I am having no luck with Squeezelite. I installed it by one method and then found another simpler method which I did, neither got Squeezelite to appear in LMS.

sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    sudo apt-get install squeezelite
    sudo apt-get install libflac-dev

Then using sudo nano /etc/default/squeezelite I edited the config file to be:

SL_NAME="$(hostname -s)"
    SL_SOUNDCARD="sysdefault:CARD=ALSA"
    SB_SERVER_IP="192.168.1.129"
    SB_EXTRA_ARGS="-a 180"

I got sysdefault:CARD=ALSA by running "squeezelite -l". I want sound to come out of the headphone jack.

Do a reboot.

Any ideas where I have gone wrong? I have no knowledge of raspian and therefore am stuck how to diagnose the problem.
    Last edited by rbl; 2020-04-25 at 04:10.
    SB3 -> Quad 909 -> Quad Electrostatic speakers, Quad 405 -> TBI subwoofer
    3 x SB3s + SB Radio
    LMS on Raspbian on a Pi4
    Rotel RSP1068 surround processor, Quad 707 -> B&W surround

Well I got the Pi4 and within a couple of hours had LMS running on Raspian and running my 4 sync'd SB3s perfectly with the Pi4 on Wifi. That includes BC iPlayer! So far it seems more reliable and effortless than on Windows which gave me 2 decades of niggles. Fingers crossed!!! Thanks to everyone getting me on this path in the first place.

But I am having no luck with Squeezelite. I installed it by one method and then found another simpler method which I did, neither got Squeezelite to appear in LMS.

sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    sudo apt-get install squeezelite
    sudo apt-get install libflac-dev

Then using sudo nano /etc/default/squeezelite I edited the config file to be:

SL_NAME="$(hostname -s)"
    SB_SERVER_IP="192.168.1.129"
    SB_EXTRA_ARGS="-a 180"

I got sysdefault:CARD=ALSA by running "squeezelite -l". I want sound to come out of the headphone jack.

Do a reboot.

Any ideas where I have gone wrong? I have no knowledge of raspian and therefore am stuck how to diagnose the problem.

if you've no experience with Raspbian, why didn't you use piCorePlayer as advised? Everything is done for you, the squeezelite player works straight out of the box. If you want to use a Pi for other stuff get another one. I have at least 10 of the things.
    Server - LMS 8.2.0 Pi4B 4GB/Argon one case/pCP 8.0.0 - 75K library, playlists & LMS cache on SSD (ntfs)
    Study - Pi4/pCP 8.0.0/Topping E30 DAC/Ruark MR1 Mk2
    Lounge - Pi2/pCP 8.0.0 > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > AudioEngine DAC1 > AVI DM5
    Dining Room - Pi3B/pCP/Bluetooth/Echo Show 8
    Garage - DAC32 > Edifier speakers

Spares - 2xTouch, 1xSB Radio. 1xSB3, 6xRPi

Quote Originally Posted by kidstypike View Post
    if you've no experience with Raspbian, why didn't you use piCorePlayer as advised? Everything is done for you, the squeezelite player works straight out of the box. If you want to use a Pi for other stuff get another one. I have at least 10 of the things.
    In the longer run I want to get to know about the Pi and use it for other things, so I decided to "be brave" and launch myself straight into it. I was very pleased when it proved so easy to get LMS running reliably. I never actually intended to use the Pi for Squeezelite since my experience on Windows was not good (esp with sync'ing) and I ended up just hooking another SB3 onto my PC to get rid of Squeezelite. So I didn't originally intend to even use Squeezelite on the Pi ..
    3 x SB3s + SB Radio
    LMS on Raspbian on a Pi4

did you check if squeezelite is running ?

Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/squeezelite status

reboot after install ? [Edit, yes you did]

Code:
    pi@LMS:~ $ squeezelite -l
    Output devices:
      null                           - Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
      output                        
      sysdefault:CARD=ALSA           - bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 ALSA - Default Audio Device
      dmix:CARD=ALSA,DEV=0           - bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 ALSA - Direct sample mixing device
      dmix:CARD=ALSA,DEV=1           - bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI - Direct sample mixing device
      dmix:CARD=ALSA,DEV=2           - bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI1 - Direct sample mixing device
      dsnoop:CARD=ALSA,DEV=0         - bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 ALSA - Direct sample snooping device
      dsnoop:CARD=ALSA,DEV=1         - bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI - Direct sample snooping device
      dsnoop:CARD=ALSA,DEV=2         - bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI1 - Direct sample snooping device
      hw:CARD=ALSA,DEV=0             - bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 ALSA - Direct hardware device without any conversions
      hw:CARD=ALSA,DEV=1             - bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI - Direct hardware device without any conversions
      hw:CARD=ALSA,DEV=2             - bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI1 - Direct hardware device without any conversions
      plughw:CARD=ALSA,DEV=0         - bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 ALSA - Hardware device with all software conversions
      plughw:CARD=ALSA,DEV=1         - bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI - Hardware device with all software conversions
      plughw:CARD=ALSA,DEV=2         - bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI1 - Hardware device with all software conversions
    try the line in red (Reboot)

I'll pm a how to for Ralphy's version later today

ronnie

I would comment out the SB-ARGS for the moment, leave that at default
    Last edited by Man in a van; 2020-04-25 at 04:50.

Alsso, go the the LMS settings page > Player Tab > Audio > set volume to 100%

click Apply

Refresh the web gui, select the player

ronnie

Edit: It's a bit quiet from the audio jack

Yes I did a reboot. I also tried your changes (line in red, and commenting out EXTRA) which didn't help.

Result of "sudo /etc/init.d/squeezelite status -l"
    ● squeezelite.service - Squeezelite
    Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/squeezelite.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
    Active: inactive (dead) since Sat 2020-04-25 11:47:49 BST; 1h 3min ago
    Process: 449 ExecStart=/usr/bin/squeezelite -o sysdefault:CARD=ALSA,DEV=1 -n calendar -s 192.168.1.129 -a 80:4 -m 00:0a:95:9d:68:16 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
    Main PID: 449 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)

Apr 25 11:47:48 raspberrypi systemd[1]: Started Squeezelite.
    Apr 25 11:47:49 raspberrypi squeezelite[449]: [11:47:49.309590] test_open:294 playback open error: No such file or directory
    Apr 25 11:47:49 raspberrypi squeezelite[449]: [11:47:49.309692] output_init_common:381 unable to open output device
    Apr 25 11:47:49 raspberrypi systemd[1]: squeezelite.service: Succeeded.
    pi@raspberrypi:~ $

Are my two attempted installs getting muddled up? The first few lines look like the first attempted install (www.hagensieker.com/wordpress/2018/06/12/302/) which didn't work as I included the MAC address with that. No idea how to get rid of that install.

And result of "squeezelite -l"

Output devices:
    default - Playback/recording through the PulseAudio sound server
    null - Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
    jack - JACK Audio Connection Kit
    pulse - PulseAudio Sound Server
    sysdefault:CARD=ALSA - bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 ALSA - Default Audio Device
    dmix:CARD=ALSA,DEV=0 - bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 ALSA - Direct sample mixing device
    dmix:CARD=ALSA,DEV=1 - bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI - Direct sample mixing device
    dmix:CARD=ALSA,DEV=2 - bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI1 - Direct sample mixing device
    dsnoop:CARD=ALSA,DEV=0 - bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 ALSA - Direct sample snooping device
    dsnoop:CARD=ALSA,DEV=1 - bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI - Direct sample snooping device
    dsnoop:CARD=ALSA,DEV=2 - bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI1 - Direct sample snooping device
    hw:CARD=ALSA,DEV=0 - bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 ALSA - Direct hardware device without any conversions
    hw:CARD=ALSA,DEV=1 - bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI - Direct hardware device without any conversions
    hw:CARD=ALSA,DEV=2 - bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI1 - Direct hardware device without any conversions
    plughw:CARD=ALSA,DEV=0 - bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 ALSA - Hardware device with all software conversions
    plughw:CARD=ALSA,DEV=1 - bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI - Hardware device with all software conversions
    plughw:CARD=ALSA,DEV=2 - bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI1 - Hardware device with all software conversions
    usbstream:CARD=ALSA - bcm2835 ALSA - USB Stream Output
    3 x SB3s + SB Radio
    LMS on Raspbian on a Pi4

I think it is about sharing the audio device which can give the error "unable to open output device"

Try to use as audio device - plughw:CARD=ALSA,DEV=0
    also in EXTRA_ARGS have "-C 5"

this my set up

Code:
    # Defaults for squeezelite initscript
    # sourced by /etc/init.d/squeezelite
    # installed at /etc/default/squeezelite by the maintainer scripts

# The name for the squeezelite player:
    SL_NAME="$(hostname -s)"

# ALSA output device:

# Squeezebox server (Logitech Media Server):
    # Uncomment the next line if you want to point squeezelite at the IP address of
    # your squeezebox server. This is usually unnecessary as the server is
    # automatically discovered.
    #SB_SERVER_IP="192.168.x.y"

# Additional options to pass to squeezelite:
    # Please do not include -z to make squeezelite daemonise itself.
    #SB_EXTRA_ARGS=""
    and it plays

Name:  2020-04-25 13_18_08-Greenshot.jpg
Views: 847
Size:  95.5 KB

ronnie