Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Duet set up

Duet set up

Hi all

I'm a long time Squeezebox user (SB3, Touch, Radio) but have just got a Duet. I've set up the Controller, it's on the wireless network and I can see and control Logitech Media Center on the Pi, but I'm having trouble getting the Receiver set up...
    following the instructions found on this forum (below) I get to step 2 fine, the Receiver appears and I can select it...but then it says connecting to my wireless network until it times out and says either 'Try again' or 'Skip this step'. I must be missing something obvious here, any assistance would be very gratefully received.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLastMan
    There is no need to factory reset the Controller. It can stay as it is.

What you need to do is:
    1. Press and hold the button on the front of the new receiver until it flashes red rapidly.
    2. On the controller go to the "choose player" item. There you will see two receivers, the usual name of your first one and another name something like "Receiver 25a612". This is the player you want to configure. The numbers/characters in the name are part of the Reciever's MAC address.
    3. Select this player and it will then ask you a set of questions to connect it to your network (whether wired or wireless, the SSID of your wireless network, and so on).

You will then be connected. Nothing should have happened to your Controller!

Thanks, GreenSloth

I had the same problem yesterday: just couldn't connect to wifi/LMS. The controller will connect to the receiver, but can't connect to the WiFi-network and/or LMS.
    I suspect the WiFi-card in the receiver is going bad (that would be the 2nd time...).

See if you can make a wired connection to the receiver? That worked for me, the receiver is playing happily along all morning, without dropping out or resetting.
    That should make clear if the receiver is working at all.

What the manual doesn't say very clear is, that you also have to do a factory reset on the controller too (Settings/Advanced menu).
    At least that was what I had to do to get to the choice ethernet/wifi.

---
    Update: WiFi-card is definitely deceased: I just ordered a new one. If you can wait a few weeks, they're cheap from Chin at €6.
    Last edited by BartS; 2020-05-24 at 05:28.

Sweden (only country where the clouds are interesting)
    I have similar problems right now. My Duet has been happily playing music sine 2008 or so. I had to replace the PSUs for both the controller and the receiver, but other than that everything has been smooth. Until today...

The receiver started stuttering, and then went silent. This has happened before, but a simple power-cycle of the receiver typically solved that, and in the worst case I have had to power cycle the router and the fiber modem. But this time such simple tech support did not suffice, so I long-pressed the button on the receiver, and now it just flashes red. When I Choose player on the controller, the receiver turns up there, and then I get the options to connect via wireless or ethernet. I have always had the receiver connected via wireless, but now I get neither to work.

The strange thing is that whether I select wireless or ethernet (and I have of course a cable connected to the router) I am required to give an IP-address. This puzzles me as previously the router assigned the IP-address automatically to the receiver. But anyway, I give the ip address as 192.168.1.201 as I know this address is not used.

Then it becomes even more puzzling, as I get a message that "We could not connect to [your network]. Make sure [...] Logitech Media Server is currently running." I have never used LMS and I do not understand why it should be necessary. I have always use MySB.com as server. But it seems that neither the controller nor (of course) the receiver are connected to MySB.com.

Hm... maybe the issue is that MySB.com is down? When checking network health the controller says it is unable to ping MySB.com...

EDIT:
    OK, now I have LMS running. Still no go. Looking at Server info on the controller, it says that LMS is not connected. How do I get the controller to connect to LMS?

EDIT^2:
    MySB.com is up and running. Enabling the BETA feature on the controller to use it as player, I can play via MySB.com and stream though the controller, so the MySB.com and the network and everything is fine. Maybe the receiver is finally toast :-(
    But even though the controller plays, it shows the wireless symbol in the lower right corner as red. Strange.
    Last edited by OppfinnarJocke; 2020-06-19 at 10:48. Reason: Added info about LMS now running
    // OppfinnarJocke
    SqueezeBox Duet, Controller FW 7.7.3 r16662, Player FW 77
    Main use: Deezer and Radio Paradise through MySB.com

When you reset the receiver did you hold the front button until it was a fast blink before releasing the button?
    Main system - Rock Solid with LMS 7.9.4 Official on WHS 2011 - 2 Duets and Squeeseslave
    Cabin system - Rock solid with LMS 7.9.4 Official on Win10 Pro - 1 RPi 3 Model B/Hifiberry DAC+ Pro/PiCorePlayer and Squeezeslave
    Test system - LMS 8.0 nightly on Win10Pro - Squeezeplay
    Squeezebox Boom - "At Large" player around both home and cabin
    Headphones and car - Android phone/Bluetooth w/full library on MicroSD card - PowerAmp music player app (similar to Material Skin)

Not much consolation, but easy and cheap enough to replace the Receiver with a Raspberry Pi running piCorePlayer. Still would be able to direct it using the Controller.

Thanks for your replies, guys.

Quote Originally Posted by w3wilkes View Post
    When you reset the receiver did you hold the front button until it was a fast blink before releasing the button?
    Yes. I tried it just now again, and yes for sure it first blinks fast red, and then slow blink. When I select the receiver in the controller, I immediately get asked for "IP address for this Squeezebox to use". That puzzles me as I expect the receiver to use DHCP. When I type in 192.168.1.202 that I know is a free IP address, I immediately get a "problem connecting" page.

I do not understand how the receiver could connect to my LAN, though, when I do not get the option to enter the password. Does the controller hand the password over to the receiver?

Quote Originally Posted by Apesbrain View Post
    Not much consolation, but easy and cheap enough to replace the Receiver with a Raspberry Pi running piCorePlayer. Still would be able to direct it using the Controller.
    I have a Raspberry PI running piCorePlayer laying around here. I tried it briefly when the PSUs were broken for the controller and receiver, but when I replaced the PSUs and got the system up and running again I was happy. Maybe I will have to try the piCorePlayer. I really can use the controller with it? That would be so great! I'll give it a try.
    // OppfinnarJocke

Quote Originally Posted by OppfinnarJocke View Post
    Thanks for your replies, guys.

Yes. I tried it just now again, and yes for sure it first blinks fast red, and then slow blink. When I select the receiver in the controller, I immediately get asked for "IP address for this Squeezebox to use". That puzzles me as I expect the receiver to use DHCP. When I type in 192.168.1.202 that I know is a free IP address, I immediately get a "problem connecting" page.

I do not understand how the receiver could connect to my LAN, though, when I do not get the option to enter the password. Does the controller hand the password over to the receiver?

I have a Raspberry PI running piCorePlayer laying around here. I tried it briefly when the PSUs were broken for the controller and receiver, but when I replaced the PSUs and got the system up and running again I was happy. Maybe I will have to try the piCorePlayer. I really can use the controller with it? That would be so great! I'll give it a try.
    I haven't done this for a long time but I seem to remember having to reset the controller in order to set up the receiver. Yes the Wifi password is entered via the controller.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Yes, the controller hands off the SSID and credentials for your network. I normally reset both the receiver and the controller when I need to set up a receiver. When the controller gets to the point of selecting a player the receiver should show by its MAC address. You then select the receiver and the WiFi SSID and password get handed to the receiver. Unless you configure in adhoc where the receiver acts as a wifi connection for the controller to talk to LMS the pass of of the SSID and network password is the only time the controller talks directly to the receiver. In adhoc mode the receiver does the job of a wifi router and passes all controller stuff off to LMS or MySB.com. LMS or MySB.com actually tell the receiver what to do.
    Main system - Rock Solid with LMS 7.9.4 Official on WHS 2011 - 2 Duets and Squeeseslave
    Cabin system - Rock solid with LMS 7.9.4 Official on Win10 Pro - 1 RPi 3 Model B/Hifiberry DAC+ Pro/PiCorePlayer and Squeezeslave
    Test system - LMS 8.0 nightly on Win10Pro - Squeezeplay
    Squeezebox Boom - "At Large" player around both home and cabin
    Headphones and car - Android phone/Bluetooth w/full library on MicroSD card - PowerAmp music player app (similar to Material Skin)

Maybe I will have to try the piCorePlayer. I really can use the controller with it? That would be so great! I'll give it a try.
    Yes.
    As a general rule - any of the control interfaces can control any of the players.
    This is because the controllers talk to LMS and it is LMS that talks to the players.
    The Squeezebox Controller talking directly with the Receiver during set-up is a big exception and it is because the Receiver is the only SlimDevices/Logitech device without a screen so something was needed to provide an interface during set-up.
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), KCRW, Supla Finland, ABC Australia, CBC/Radio-Canada and RTE Ireland

OK, thanks for the help everyone.

So, it appears that I have to factory reset both the controller and the receiver for this to work. I am a bit reluctant to reset the controller, since I added some code years ago to make it use a fixed IP address, and right now I have no clue how I did that. But I guess... I managed it once, I could manage it again. And anyway, the controller is not of much use with a receiver that does not connect to the network.

If this fails, I can replace the receiver with a Raspberry PI running piCorePlayer. That's Plan B

OK.. seems I have some setting up to do.
    Thanks.
    // OppfinnarJocke