Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Play streaming URL via LMS

Hi,

Is there a mechanism by which I can directly send a streaming URL from my Windows PC to my LMS server and have it play it immediately? (i.e. access the LMS live play queue remotely without have to first create a favorite in LMS which points to that URL and then play that)

For example I would like to search for a YouTube video on my PC's browser and once I've found it, send its URL to be played on my LMS player(s) rather than the PC.

Cheers, Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by nickey View Post
    Hi,

Is there a mechanism by which I can directly send a streaming URL from my Windows PC to my LMS server and have it play it immediately? (i.e. access the LMS live play queue remotely without have to first create a favorite in LMS which points to that URL and then play that)

For example I would like to search for a YouTube video on my PC's browser and once I've found it, send its URL to be played on my LMS player(s) rather than the PC.

Cheers, Nick.
    Copy the URL to Tune in URL menu item under Radio and press play
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    Copy the URL to Tune in URL menu item under Radio and press play
    I wonder if you mean "TuneIn" but I can't imagine you're saying that YouTube urls can be played through TuneIn.

Anyway I don't have a "Tune in URL" or a "Tunein URL" menu item under Radio.

Play streaming URL via LMS

> Anyway I don't have a "Tune in URL" or a "Tunein URL" menu item under
    > Radio.

It's in the web UI only.

--

Michael

How to listen to radio URL

Michael, you say "It is in the web ui only". I've been scrolling through all the menu's but can't seem to find any place to drop a new URL in?
    (I'm on LMS 8.0.0, maybe that is the cause?)

I noticed that quite a few radiostations from the default station list don't work anymore. The logo's are still there, but they don't play.
    I suppose some of the URL's were changed, and this list is old and not maintained anymore? Or is this list dynamically generated (from where?).

What would currently be the best way to find internet radio stations on LMS? Is there a good alternative.
    I see mention of the TuneIn Radio plugin, but can't find it anywhere?

On a sidenote: there are quite a few plugins activate by default, that are obsolete? E.g MOG, Orange LiveRadio, Slacker(?), and I guess a few others?
    Or do they take so little resources, it's not worth the trouble to clean them up?

Thanks, Bart

Quote Originally Posted by BartS View Post
    Michael, you say "It is in the web ui only". I've been scrolling through all the menu's but can't seem to find any place to drop a new URL in?
    (I'm on LMS 8.0.0, maybe that is the cause?)
    It is in Classic - not in Material. Are you using Material ?

I noticed that quite a few radiostations from the default station list don't work anymore. The logo's are still there, but they don't play.
    I suppose some of the URL's were changed, and this list is old and not maintained anymore? Or is this list dynamically generated (from where?).
    If you supply specific detail then they can be checked. LMS is now a community project

What would currently be the best way to find internet radio stations on LMS? Is there a good alternative.
    I see mention of the TuneIn Radio plugin, but can't find it anywhere?
    When using Material it is called Search under Radio Menu.

edit:

To add URL In Material try clicking the "+" on the top RHS pane.

It is in Classic - not in Material. Are you using Material ?
    Yes, I'm using Material. Sorry, didn't occur to me to retry with the default skin.

An example of the station I tried to listen was Bandit Rock in Stockholm.
    But looking on their website it seems their streams are geo-blocked: Please note that our streams are available in Sweden only due to music rights.:
    I guess the laws have changed or something like that, and more Swedish radiostations are blocking. About half of them don't work anymore for me.
    So the cause of the problem is lawyers, not software ;-)

When using Material it is called Search under Radio Menu.
    To add URL In Material try clicking the "+" on the top RHS pane.
    I just need to get used to the new skin.
    Thanks!
    Bart
    Last edited by BartS; 2020-05-22 at 14:28.

An example of the station I tried to listen was Bandit Rock in Stockholm.
    But looking on their website it seems their streams are geo-blocked: Please note that our streams are available in Sweden only due to music rights.:
    I guess the laws have changed or something like that, and more Swedish radiostations are blocking. About half of them don't work anymore for me.
    So the cause of the problem is lawyers, not software ;-)
    You don't say where Bandit Rock was listed - if it is under Staff Picks then it should be updated. Most other categories (News, Local, Talk, Music etc.) are supplied via Tune-in which means they are up to date.

Geolocking is usually more a commercial or a rights issues for the station rather than the user (e.g station has only paid for the rights to broadcast music within certain countries) - if the station cannot put in place a reasonable a geolocking then they are liable for higher fees.

It is in the normal categories, I had a look on TuneIn's website and these URL's will not play through there either.
    TuneIn
    The playlist seems to update ok, also on LMS, it just will not play.
    I can understand it doesn't make much sense for a local station to pay more for musicrights abroad.

It is in the normal categories, I had a look on TuneIn's website and these URL's will not play through there either.
    TuneIn
    The playlist seems to update ok, also on LMS, it just will not play..
    There are many internet Radio consolidators (e.g. Tune-in, iHeart, Radio.net) who act as directories but also can serve ads etc so additional revenue for station. Stations can move between consolidators in which case - link may change and are not valid on the "old" consolidator

That said, Bandit Rock plays OK for me - perhaps it is geo-locked for you but also perhaps your system is not setup to pay the audio format.
    As a sanity check - can you play them from their web site https://www.ilikeradio.se/banditrock ?

Try the following for Bandit Rock - both supplied by Tune-in
    MP3 - http://fm02-ice.stream.khz.se/fm02_mp3
    AAC - http://fm02-ice.stream.khz.se/fm02_aac