Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    17

    Play streaming URL via LMS

    Hi,

    Is there a mechanism by which I can directly send a streaming URL from my Windows PC to my LMS server and have it play it immediately? (i.e. access the LMS live play queue remotely without have to first create a favorite in LMS which points to that URL and then play that)

    For example I would like to search for a YouTube video on my PC's browser and once I've found it, send its URL to be played on my LMS player(s) rather than the PC.

    Cheers, Nick.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Cheshire, UK
    Posts
    4,705
    Quote Originally Posted by nickey View Post
    Hi,

    Is there a mechanism by which I can directly send a streaming URL from my Windows PC to my LMS server and have it play it immediately? (i.e. access the LMS live play queue remotely without have to first create a favorite in LMS which points to that URL and then play that)

    For example I would like to search for a YouTube video on my PC's browser and once I've found it, send its URL to be played on my LMS player(s) rather than the PC.

    Cheers, Nick.
    Copy the URL to Tune in URL menu item under Radio and press play
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    Copy the URL to Tune in URL menu item under Radio and press play
    I wonder if you mean "TuneIn" but I can't imagine you're saying that YouTube urls can be played through TuneIn.

    Anyway I don't have a "Tune in URL" or a "Tunein URL" menu item under Radio.

  4. #4
    Babelfish's Best Boy mherger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    20,420

    Play streaming URL via LMS

    > Anyway I don't have a "Tune in URL" or a "Tunein URL" menu item under
    > Radio.


    It's in the web UI only.

    --

    Michael

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    22

    How to listen to radio URL

    Michael, you say "It is in the web ui only". I've been scrolling through all the menu's but can't seem to find any place to drop a new URL in?
    (I'm on LMS 8.0.0, maybe that is the cause?)

    I noticed that quite a few radiostations from the default station list don't work anymore. The logo's are still there, but they don't play.
    I suppose some of the URL's were changed, and this list is old and not maintained anymore? Or is this list dynamically generated (from where?).

    What would currently be the best way to find internet radio stations on LMS? Is there a good alternative.
    I see mention of the TuneIn Radio plugin, but can't find it anywhere?

    On a sidenote: there are quite a few plugins activate by default, that are obsolete? E.g MOG, Orange LiveRadio, Slacker(?), and I guess a few others?
    Or do they take so little resources, it's not worth the trouble to clean them up?

    Thanks, Bart

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    18,560
    Quote Originally Posted by BartS View Post
    Michael, you say "It is in the web ui only". I've been scrolling through all the menu's but can't seem to find any place to drop a new URL in?
    (I'm on LMS 8.0.0, maybe that is the cause?)
    It is in Classic - not in Material. Are you using Material ?

    I noticed that quite a few radiostations from the default station list don't work anymore. The logo's are still there, but they don't play.
    I suppose some of the URL's were changed, and this list is old and not maintained anymore? Or is this list dynamically generated (from where?).
    If you supply specific detail then they can be checked. LMS is now a community project

    What would currently be the best way to find internet radio stations on LMS? Is there a good alternative.
    I see mention of the TuneIn Radio plugin, but can't find it anywhere?
    When using Material it is called Search under Radio Menu.

    edit:

    To add URL In Material try clicking the "+" on the top RHS pane.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    22
    It is in Classic - not in Material. Are you using Material ?
    Yes, I'm using Material. Sorry, didn't occur to me to retry with the default skin.

    An example of the station I tried to listen was Bandit Rock in Stockholm.
    But looking on their website it seems their streams are geo-blocked: Please note that our streams are available in Sweden only due to music rights.:
    I guess the laws have changed or something like that, and more Swedish radiostations are blocking. About half of them don't work anymore for me.
    So the cause of the problem is lawyers, not software ;-)

    When using Material it is called Search under Radio Menu.
    To add URL In Material try clicking the "+" on the top RHS pane.
    I just need to get used to the new skin.
    Thanks!
    Bart
    Last edited by BartS; 2020-05-22 at 14:28.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    18,560
    Quote Originally Posted by BartS View Post
    An example of the station I tried to listen was Bandit Rock in Stockholm.
    But looking on their website it seems their streams are geo-blocked: Please note that our streams are available in Sweden only due to music rights.:
    I guess the laws have changed or something like that, and more Swedish radiostations are blocking. About half of them don't work anymore for me.
    So the cause of the problem is lawyers, not software ;-)
    You don't say where Bandit Rock was listed - if it is under Staff Picks then it should be updated. Most other categories (News, Local, Talk, Music etc.) are supplied via Tune-in which means they are up to date.

    Geolocking is usually more a commercial or a rights issues for the station rather than the user (e.g station has only paid for the rights to broadcast music within certain countries) - if the station cannot put in place a reasonable a geolocking then they are liable for higher fees.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    22
    It is in the normal categories, I had a look on TuneIn's website and these URL's will not play through there either.
    TuneIn
    The playlist seems to update ok, also on LMS, it just will not play.
    I can understand it doesn't make much sense for a local station to pay more for musicrights abroad.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    18,560
    Quote Originally Posted by BartS View Post
    It is in the normal categories, I had a look on TuneIn's website and these URL's will not play through there either.
    TuneIn
    The playlist seems to update ok, also on LMS, it just will not play..
    There are many internet Radio consolidators (e.g. Tune-in, iHeart, Radio.net) who act as directories but also can serve ads etc so additional revenue for station. Stations can move between consolidators in which case - link may change and are not valid on the "old" consolidator

    That said, Bandit Rock plays OK for me - perhaps it is geo-locked for you but also perhaps your system is not setup to pay the audio format.
    As a sanity check - can you play them from their web site https://www.ilikeradio.se/banditrock ?

    Try the following for Bandit Rock - both supplied by Tune-in
    MP3 - http://fm02-ice.stream.khz.se/fm02_mp3
    AAC - http://fm02-ice.stream.khz.se/fm02_aac

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •