Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Raspberry zero vs 4

Hi Friends I have a Raspberry zero and Allo Digione, connected by coax cable to my amplifier's dac. It running picoreplayer.
    If i switched the Raspberry zero with the 4, can i improve the sound quality? I think no because the sound Is getting by allo digione (i2c) but i would like your opinion.
    Thanks

The sound would be the same.
    The main benefits of the RPi4 come when you need the extra processing power (eg to run LMS) or to use Ethernet.
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), KCRW, Supla Finland, ABC Australia, CBC/Radio-Canada and RTE Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    The sound would be the same.
    The main benefits of the RPi4 come when you need the extra processing power (eg to run LMS) or to use Ethernet.
    this is exactly my idea. i wanted to hear if you thought the same way. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by corrobor View Post
    this is exactly my idea. i wanted to hear if you thought the same way. Thanks
    i would argue that pi zero is the best sounding pi thanks to it simple construction and reduced part count. it is possible to drive it with 3.3v (if you do not use any 5v peripherals) in which case there is only one 1.8v buck converter in the chain. please have a look at the schematics and see for yourself. i have compared the 3b and zero and zero always wins. i have a similar setup with digione.

having set that i use the pi as a pcp player and the cpu utilization is 1% without resampling. i tested as server+player and in that case the zero is too weak even without any resampling.

Quote Originally Posted by mcduman View Post
    i would argue that pi zero is the best sounding pi thanks to it simple construction and reduced part count. it is possible to drive it with 3.3v (if you do not use any 5v peripherals) in which case there is only one 1.8v buck converter in the chain. please have a look at the schematics and see for yourself. i have compared the 3b and zero and zero always wins. i have a similar setup with digione.

having set that i use the pi as a pcp player and the cpu utilization is 1% without resampling. i tested as server+player and in that case the zero is too weak even without any resampling.
    Perfect. I drive It with Ifi Power 5v . Thank you so much

Ps i'm not interessed to resampling: where can i disable It?
    Last edited by corrobor; 2020-04-11 at 02:05.

Quote Originally Posted by corrobor View Post
    Perfect. I drive It with Ifi Power 5v . Thank you so much

Ps i'm not interessed to resampling: where can i disable It?
    the -r option is off by default in squeezelite. there is no need to disable.

Quote Originally Posted by mcduman View Post
    the -r option is off by default in squeezelite. there is no need to disable.