Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Radio Turns Light On

Maybe Iím losing the plot, given enforced captivity but there is a strange occurrence since installing the patch on my bedroom Radio. When the morning alarm goes off it also turns on the bedside lamp next to it. This lamp is a touch to start and dim lamp with an led dimmable bulb. Never used to happen. The lamp and bulb are not smart so not connected to WiFi. The Squeeze Radio is WiFi connected and alarm is Radio 4 via mySqueezebox.com.

Not just a one off event and I havenít touched the lamp but did turn it off and on to see if the problem stopped but no change.

Any ideas?

Viv

I hope it is a case of coincidence.
    You could test things by setting more alarms and watching from across the room or turning the radio off at the wall and removing the battery for a period when the alarm is expected.
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), KCRW, Supla Finland, ABC Australia, CBC/Radio-Canada and RTE Ireland

Try putting the coffee maker next to the Radio. Maybe you can get it to start that too.
    Living Room: Pi3 w/Allo Digione Player (Wired), Max2Play w/LMS Server 8.0 and SqueezeLite
    Pioneer Elite VSX 80, Parasound 2125 v2
    KEF LS50's, Paradigm SE Center, SVS SB12-NSD Subwoofer, Paradigm Atom v.5 Surrounds
    Harmony Smart Control w/Hub and iPeng
    Dining Room: KEF Q100's
    Bedroom: Logitech Boom
    Porch: Boston Acoustics Voyager Metro II
    Router: Netgear R700P
    File Storage: Samsung T5 SSD
    Music Service: Qobuz

Quote Originally Posted by Fahzz View Post
    Try putting the coffee maker next to the Radio. Maybe you can get it to start that too.
    Nice idea - I did try putting the Radio next to my wife but she didn't turn on at all :-)

Still looking for a plausible reason but rather stumped. Will try putting some distance between Radio and lamp to see if it's proximity or radio waves causing the phenomenon.

Viv

Regarding the patch it is just coincidence.

My SB Radios have always done this to our touch control dimmer bedside lamps since we got the lamps several years ago, not every time but fairly regularly.

Separation reduces the occurrences and it seems to vary from SBR unit and lamp, so our back bedroom is the worst offender, our main bedroom rarely does it and that has an alarm set for every day.

On the back bedroom setup, if they get moved too close it's an oft seen indicator that the SBR has crashed and rebooted - I walk past the room and the bedside light is on. (SBR will generally be back to turned off as I use powersave plugin to turn off a paused or stopped player after 15 minutes).

Kev

Thanks Kev - I was beginning to doubt my sanity; no surprise there right now. At least I'm not alone in this. It appears to be some RF interference that is a known occurrence with that type of lamp. No obvious cure apart from putting some distance between lamp and Radio or just living with it as a "feature" to aid waking up on dark mornings.

Rest easy!

Viv

Quote Originally Posted by vhs View Post
    Thanks Kev - I was beginning to doubt my sanity; no surprise there right now. At least I'm not alone in this. It appears to be some RF interference that is a known occurrence with that type of lamp. No obvious cure apart from putting some distance between lamp and Radio or just living with it as a "feature" to aid waking up on dark mornings.

Rest easy!

Viv
    You wouldn't expect it to happen on a CE marked lamp. That should be covered by EMC requirements.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

I had never heard of this sort of thing happening before so I did some research.
    Here is one page of info that I found (radio hams)

http://www.arrl.org/touch-lamp
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), KCRW, Supla Finland, ABC Australia, CBC/Radio-Canada and RTE Ireland