Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

No sound streaming Tidal on Squeezebox Boom

Hey - any help appreciated with the following.

Deezer stopped supporting Squeezebox and I swapped to Tidal. During the free 30 day trial with Tidal my squeezebox coped admirably and I was able to transfer my playlists across from Deezer to Tidal and listen to whatever I want. When the free trial ended and Tidal requested me to input charging instructions the Squeezebox stopped making a noise - the music appears to buffer on the screen and play the track, but no audio.

The same thing happened with my Roberts istream radio at this point, but it recovered on it's own and I can now stream and hear Tidal on it.

Is the issue with Tidal or Squeezebox? I noticed another forum member had difficulty swapping subscription type within Tidal. When my Squeezebox works the quality of sound is so much better than the Roberts istream. Squeezebox was purchased 2010 and Roberts istream for kitchen in 2020. 10 years on Squeezebox still rocks (when it works that is!).

When the free trial ended and Tidal requested me to input charging instructions

When I have taken advantage of any "free" subscriptions from any/all of the content providers, they have all needed a payment ot be made.

This payment is then deferred unti the "free" trial period expires and then should start (unless one has cancelled it during the trial period, in which case no pament has been taken).

So I would check your mysqueezebox details are correct and then go

LMS gui Home > My Apps > Tidal > Streaming quality > select which applies

ronnie

Thank you Man in a van.

Quote Originally Posted by Man in a van View Post
    When I have taken advantage of any "free" subscriptions from any/all of the content providers, they have all needed a payment ot be made.

This payment is then deferred unti the "free" trial period expires and then should start (unless one has cancelled it during the trial period, in which case no pament has been taken).

So I would check your mysqueezebox details are correct and then go

LMS gui Home > My Apps > Tidal > Streaming quality > select which applies

ronnie
    Hi Man in a Van

Thank you for the suggestion. I have gone in to Tidal Settings. I am thinking that their free trial is their 'Hi-fi' more expensive option, and in entering my subscription I was opting for the basic package. It may be that the basic package does not stream to Squeezebox. I have written to Tidal to ask. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Brianw193 View Post
    Hi Man in a Van

Thank you for the suggestion. I have gone in to Tidal Settings. I am thinking that their free trial is their 'Hi-fi' more expensive option, and in entering my subscription I was opting for the basic package. It may be that the basic package does not stream to Squeezebox. I have written to Tidal to ask. Cheers
    Basic would just MP3

Try selecting that and maybe restart LMS if still no sound (also check the Player volume output in Settings > Audio)

ronnie

I used Tidal on my Squeezebox Boom without an issue, but recently it stopped working.

Doing some testing has helped me draw the following conclusion:

1. A HiFi subscription on Tidal is needed
    2. Setting the Streaming Quality to FLAC is needed

Using my Premium account I just get a message 'Problem unable to play f' (I assume its file). This happens whether i choose FLAC or AAC for Streaming Quality. After setting up a trial of HiFi on Tidal i was able to play music on the Squeezebox Boom when the Streaming Quality was set to FLAC.

I do not want to pay twice as much per month just to get this to work. Does anyone else have any ideas what has happened to cause the Boom to stop working for Tidal Premium subscriptions?

Tidal Premium provides streams in AAC format. Tidal does not provide MP3 streams anymore. The Squeezebox Boom cannot natively play AAC streams, meaning that the Tidal AAC stream needs to be transcoded to flac (or MP3) format by LMS (Logitech Media Server). Transcoding of Tidal AAC streams to flac or MP3 can only be done by LMS 8 (LMS 7.9.x does not recognize Tidal AAC streams).
    => You will need to install LMS 8 if you want to play Tidal AAC streams on your Squeezebox Boom. LMS 8 can be downloaded from here: http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightly/
    | LMS 8.0.1 | Squeezebox Boom | RPi0W + pCP 6.1.0 + HiFiBerry DAC Zero | SqueezeAMP |

Quote Originally Posted by CJS View Post
    Tidal Premium provides streams in AAC format. Tidal does not provide MP3 streams anymore. The Squeezebox Boom cannot natively play AAC streams, meaning that the Tidal AAC stream needs to be transcoded to flac (or MP3) format by LMS (Logitech Media Server). Transcoding of Tidal AAC streams to flac or MP3 can only be done by LMS 8 (LMS 7.9.x does not recognize Tidal AAC streams).
    => You will need to install LMS 8 if you want to play Tidal AAC streams on your Squeezebox Boom. LMS 8 can be downloaded from here: http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightly/
    Thanks, that's good to know, if a little frustrating. I either have to pay for Tidal HiFi, run LMS or change my devices

Quote Originally Posted by smckay View Post
    Thanks, that's good to know, if a little frustrating. I either have to pay for Tidal HiFi, run LMS or change my devices
    Running LMS is a breeze these days. Take a Pi and PiCorePlayer and here you go
    LMS 7.9 on Pi 3B+ & Odroid-C2 - SqueezeAMP!, 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB3. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, Squeezelite on Pi, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5, Riva 1 & 3

Quote Originally Posted by smckay View Post
    Boom has no https support either. If you use other internet services such as radio streams, many of these now migrating to or require https and so you'll need a LMS for https.
    A Pi based solution will probably cost less than a Hifi sub or a new device.
    Boom is not doing badly considering it was released in 2008. Try getting Tidal on your iPhone 3G

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    Boom has no https support either. If you use other internet services such as radio streams, many of these now migrating to or require https and so you'll need a LMS for https.
    A Pi based solution will probably cost less than a Hifi sub or a new device.
    Boom is not doing badly considering it was released in 2008. Try getting Tidal on your iPhone 3G
    That is fair. I just regret decommissioning my LMS on my Pi now! Thats a weekend project sorted!

I didnt get an iPhone until the 6s, but I could try in on my iPod Touch

Thanks all