Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Dynamic Playlists has stopped working for me

I've used Dynamic Playlists + Custom Skip for years now to give me Never Played Albums overnight. I have a dedicated Pi in the bedroom just for that purpose.

Apparently the main library.db got corrupted in a power outage a couple weeks ago, but deleting it and letting it rebuild fixed the problem. I had a couple nights of business as usual, but now (despite no further power issues) it simply refuses to add any new albums to the playlist. In fact, selecting Never Played Albums now results in the server becoming unavailable until I restart it. Nothing useful in the log, no indication that anything has gone bad, it just sits until I restart.

So I've got two questions:

1. At 117,000+ tracks, have I just outgrown the plugins?

2. Is there anything else that provides the same functionality? I want to be able to cycle through albums that particular instance has never played while skipping genres I use to identify the material as non-music.

3. Is it still possible to install the plugins (should I have to rebuild the whole thing) even though Erland seems to have left the scene? It's been so long now that I can't even remember what I did. I thought I had to show an additional repository on the plugins menu, but I don't see one there.

4. Are Erland's plugins compatible with LMS 8? (Just curious, the server in question is still on 7.9.2.)

While trying to track this down yesterday, I also noticed a very strange issue where I could see more entries in the log via the web interface than showed when I simply went in via SSH and viewed the log on a terminal window. Makes me wonder if at long last the microSD card has given up, though I'd expect to see more problems in that case.

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by atrocity View Post
    While trying to track this down yesterday, I also noticed a very strange issue where I could see more entries in the log via the web interface than showed when I simply went in via SSH and viewed the log on a terminal window.
    Though now this appears to no longer be the case. Weird.

Quote Originally Posted by atrocity View Post
    While trying to track this down yesterday, I also noticed a very strange issue where I could see more entries in the log via the web interface than showed when I simply went in via SSH and viewed the log on a terminal window.
    Because I was logged into the wrong box!

I wound up manually examining the tables in persist.db.

Found 136 rows in track_statistics that had a value for lastPlayed but NULL for playCount.

That corresponded to 136 rows in track_history with the same lastPlayed for the same URL.

I deleted those rows from track_history and set the lastPlayed value to NULL in track_statistics.

When I told LMS to play Never Played Albums, it began playing something that I added back in 2008. That's encouraging, because before the whole thing stopped working altogether it was only giving me albums that had been added very recently.

I guess I'll know over the next few days if I really fixed the problem.