Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Remote control for pCP(Solved thanks)

Hello
    I have pCP on a Pi1. At the moment controlled with a usb keyboard, I only use the up, down, left, right, + and - for volume. I have in the past used an air mouse like
    eBay item number: 283802980182. Its ideal and simple but the keys wear out after a few months.
    There are simple IR remotes but not with a USB receiver.
    Has anyone any ideas or solutions

Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    diode84
    Last edited by diode84; 2020-05-10 at 23:49. Reason: Solved

Yes - you can add a small IR receiver to the GPIOs on the Pi (you might need an extra resistor on Pi 1 ... not sure).
    Then you configure it in pCP via the web interface and it is ready to receive classic Squeezebox IR commands.
    If you don't have a Squeezebox IR (or a programmable one that can emulate it) then with a bit more work you can tell pCP which IR codes to use (but it is not trivial to do).

I have done this on my 2 pCP installations where I use my old Squeezebox remotes to control things (rarely nowadays since I usually use a touch screen or occasionally voice).
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, Supla Finland, ABC Australia, CBC/Radio-Canada and RTE Ireland

Paul Webster
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, Supla Finland, ABC Australia, CBC/Radio-Canada and RTE Ireland

Thanks Paul
    That gives me a lot of information and things to try.
    Will probably be back.

Quote Originally Posted by diode84 View Post
    Hello
    I have pCP on a Pi1. At the moment controlled with a usb keyboard, I only use the up, down, left, right, + and - for volume. I have in the past used an air mouse like
    eBay item number: 283802980182. Its ideal and simple but the keys wear out after a few months.
    There are simple IR remotes but not with a USB receiver.
    Has anyone any ideas or solutions

Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    diode84
    Easy way.

I have 2 Raspberry Pi,s with 7" pi screens/piCorePlayer, both use one of these with my existing squeezebox remotes.
    Server - LMS 8.2.0 Pi4B 4GB/Argon one case/pCP v7.0.1 - 75K library, playlists & LMS cache on SSD (ntfs)
    Study - Pi3B/pCP 7.0.1/pi screen/AlloBoss DAC HAT/Ruark MR1 Mk2
    Lounge - Pi2/pCP 6.0.0 > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > AudioEngine DAC1 > AVI DM5
    Dining Room - Pi3B/pCP/Bluetooth/Echo Show 8
    Garage - DAC32 > Edifier speakers

Spares - 2xTouch, 1xSB Radio. 1xSB3, 6xRPi

I haven't reread that thread but it is quite old.
    Use it for the hardware info but you might find that the software part is much easier nowadays through the pCP web interface.
    Paul Webster

What is it that can't be done with one of the apps like Orange Squeeze, the app for apple iThings, the WebUI (either Default or Material skin) or a Duet controller? I can control any of my squeeze player devices with these. I don't understand what remote control features you can't do with one of these.
    Main system - Rock Solid with LMS 8.1.2 on WHS 2011 - 2 Duets and Squeeseslave
    Cabin system - Rock solid with LMS 8.1.2 on Win10 Pro - 1 RPi 3 Model B/Hifiberry DAC+ Pro/PiCorePlayer and Squeezeslave
    Squeezebox Boom - "At Large" player around both home and cabin
    Headphones and car - Android phone/Bluetooth w/full library on MicroSD card - PowerAmp music player app (similar to Material Skin)

Quote Originally Posted by w3wilkes View Post
    What is it that can't be done with one of the apps like Orange Squeeze, the app for apple iThings, the WebUI (either Default or Material skin) or a Duet controller? I can control any of my squeeze player devices with these. I don't understand what remote control features you can't do with one of these.
    Yes, so can I, I have all above (except iThings and Duet controller).
    But prefer an IR remote control for on, off, stop, start, skip, volume, sleep, anything that doesn't entail selecting what to play.
    Server - LMS 8.2.0 Pi4B 4GB/Argon one case/pCP v7.0.1 - 75K library, playlists & LMS cache on SSD (ntfs)
    Study - Pi3B/pCP 7.0.1/pi screen/AlloBoss DAC HAT/Ruark MR1 Mk2
    Lounge - Pi2/pCP 6.0.0 > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > AudioEngine DAC1 > AVI DM5
    Dining Room - Pi3B/pCP/Bluetooth/Echo Show 8
    Garage - DAC32 > Edifier speakers

Spares - 2xTouch, 1xSB Radio. 1xSB3, 6xRPi

Quote Originally Posted by kidstypike View Post
    Easy way.

I have 2 Raspberry Pi,s with 7" pi screens/piCorePlayer, both use one of these with my existing squeezebox remotes.
    Thanks kidstypike, they look ideal and it may come to that but they are quite expensive so will try without first.

Quote Originally Posted by w3wilkes View Post
    Thanks but I want to use my player completely stand alone, its got a 7 inch screen. I don't want to be dependent on PC, or phone to select a track to play. The IR remote control does all of that so will stick to it.
    I use laptop to access the web interface when needed but that is running puppy xenial64 so is not collecting data about me, its open source.