Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Squeezelite Player for Stream Output

Hello guys, this is my first post in this forum.
    I already tried to find information on this topic but was not very successful.

I have a Linux machine running the LMS together with about 30 Squeezelite instances where each of them outputting to a different analog output of 6 connected USB 8 channel soundcards (7+1).

What i would like to have now, is a additional, always running Squeezelite Instance (chooable be the LMS), that offers a MP3 (or similar) stream output that could again chosen as Sourcestream by the LMS.

I already tried to simply start squeezelite with output to STDOUT and piped this to cvlc (VLC) trying to generate a mp3 stream but no luck so far.

squeezelite -n TESTZONE -o - | cvlc -vvv - --sout '#transcode{acodec=mp3,ab=128,channels=2}:standard {access=http,dst=0.0.0.0:8888/testzone.mp3}'

As i am a noob when it comes to such things i would kindly ask for help or hints on this.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Labmaster; 2020-03-30 at 04:22.

Quote Originally Posted by Labmaster View Post
    What i would like to have now, is a additional, always running Squeezelite Instance (chooable be the LMS), that offers a MP3 (or similar) stream output that could again chosen as Sourcestream by the LMS.
    Please explain the use case as this "feels" like a feedback loop.

squeezelite -n TESTZONE -o - | cvlc -vvv - --sout '#transcode{acodec=mp3,ab=128,channels=2}:standard {access=http,dst=0.0.0.0:8888/testzone.mp3}'
    I need to check but the IP address of 0.0.0.0 looks wrong.

Generally prove that teh vlc works by playing from say line input of PC - then whenb working - replace with squeezelite as a source.

edit:

Try "dst=:8888" no IP address.
    Last edited by bpa; 2020-03-30 at 04:37.

yes, it's a kind of loopback, but for good reason.

For my multizone home audio installation i want to have this zone running all the time in the background, where i could for example add, remove an replace spottify playlists.

With my smarthome installation, for each zone (normally room) i am able to start/stop/select each entry from the LMS favorites by simple clicks on buttons at the wall.
    Sometimes zones are even started by presence detectors mounted in the rooms (eg at the restrooms and bathrooms)

If i directly place the playlists in the favorites it will always start at the beginning, always hearing the same again an again on every start.
    So having this special zone always running in the background it would offer to enter mostly at different positions but still be in sync with the other zone using the same special source.
    Last edited by Labmaster; 2020-03-30 at 04:53.

"dst=:8888"
    made not difference

The problem seems to be that there is no buffer, intelligence or whatsoever between squeezelite and vlc.
    The vlc has to stream all the time, even if there is no output from the squeezelite it has to stream silence.

Maybe the waveinput plugin would be a better solution for this king of feedback ?

made not difference
    If this is with squeezelite as source - then stop using squeezlite - prove the vlc command line works without squeezelite. I usually use "line input " of PC and my test feed audio is via a 3.5mm plugin from FM radio.
    VLC is very very picky - so args must be exactly right for any stream to work.

The problem seems to be that there is no buffer, intelligence or whatsoever between squeezelite and vlc.
    The vlc has to stream all the time, even if there is no output from the squeezelite it has to stream silence.
    IIRC squeezelite can stream silence - all zeros - so buffers will get overrun.[/quote]

Maybe the waveinput plugin would be a better solution for this king of feedback ?
    Explain your use case. When the needs is explained - other may be able to come up with alternative solutions. Waveinput is the plugin of last resort.

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    Explain your use case. When the needs is explained - other may be able to come up with alternative solutions. Waveinput is the plugin of last resort.
    please read #3, there is the explanation.

Thanks a lot, it's great to get so quick response

made not difference

Wavinput (or something else that you "tune in" to e.g. Icecast) would be a much better idea.

Have a read of this but think wider than Vinyl
    https://iotsblog.wordpress.com/2016/...nyl-streaming/
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

please read #3, there is the explanation.
    Have you considered using the Group plugin ? since (if I understand the use case) I think your use is a variation of synced players.

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    Have you considered using the Group plugin ? since (if I understand the use case) I think your use is a variation of synced players.
    My thought is that you have one real squeezelite player (not necessarily connected to anything) and you sync on the fly to that player.

I think Group player plugin may has the flexibility over plain LMS syncing

This avoids Waveinput - which may add delays and possible loss of quality.

No it's not about syncing, it's about having a player run 24/7 and simply switch into its current output if needed, without affecting its playing and where it plays at this moment.
    And at the same time use the well designed LMS frontend to manage the always running players content.

So i simply need a player in LMS that could be controlled separately (content and timing wise) and could be a source for all other players in LMS.

So a connection from squeezelite to http stream (that is what i tried with vlc)
    or squeezelite to waveinput would do the job.