Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    2

    Running transporter off different server? LMS alternative?

    So, please forgive me if this is already answered, but I did not find any info in my searching and I"m quite new here. I recently got a Transporter that I love, but LMS is basically non-functional in OS Catalina, and refuses to find files that I direct it to on an external drive. Is there an alternate server to LMS that can be used with the Transporter? Is this even possible? I would hate to have to abandon the Transporter, but there are newer solutions out there and I can't believe how much time I've spent today trying to get this all to work, to no avail. I saw postings on needing to give Perl full disk access (it never ever appears in my disc access window), I've even tried installing various versions of LMS to see if perhaps the one I was running was the issue. They all act the same - not finding the files I direct them to. I love using the iPeng interface on my iPad and would love to keep the Transporter, but I am not sure how to make this work with Mac

    Also, side note in case anyone else has experienced this - the Transporter sounds terrible with MP3s. That is, even with 320kbs MP3s there is noticeable "glitching" and distortion in very quiet passages. But, the same tracks ripped in FLAC are just fine. I have tried this on my PC and found the same curious thing. Is it just my unit? It like FLACs, hates MP3s.

    Thanks for any input!

  2. #2
    You might be able to use Roon. I've never tried Roon, but I believe it can use Squeezeboxes as endpoints - I dare say someone with experience will comment.

    But a cheaper option would be to set up a Raspberry Pi using piCorePlayer to run LMS. My main LMS server is a Raspberry Pi version 3 set up in this way and with music files on a NAS. These run 24:7. You don't say what sort of external drive you are using, but Raspberry PIs don't seem to deliver enough power via USB for some USB powered hard drives, but there are no doubt workarounds.

    Robert
    Home: Raspberry Pi 3/piCoreplayer/LMS7.9.2 with files on QNAP TS-251A
    Touch > DacMagic 100 > Naim Audio Nait 3 > Mission 752 (plus Rega Planar 3 > Rega Fono Mini; Naim CD3)
    2 x Squeezebox Radios, 1 X Squeezebox 3 (retired), spare Pi2/piCorePlayer
    Office: LMS7.9.2 running on WiFi MyPassport drive > Raspberry Pi 3 with touchscreen/piCorePlayer/IQaudIO DAC and Amp
    SqueezePad, iPeng as controllers

    last.fm/user/GrumpyBob

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Cheshire, UK
    Posts
    4,588
    With the ongoing development of LMS v8 and other things such as Material there is really no other server software that comes close. Roon might but IIRC is very expensive.

    With that in mind a big +1 for Grumpy Bob's suggestion. Get a Pi. Its a nice little project that will while a bit of time. Lets face it we all have quite a bit of time on our hands. You don't need Linux skills and there is plenty of help on here. Once you have built it it will be very stable.
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Western & Northern New York
    Posts
    191
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Bob View Post
    You don't say what sort of external drive you are using, but Raspberry PIs don't seem to deliver enough power via USB for some USB powered hard drives, but there are no doubt workarounds.

    Robert
    +1 for the PI. I am running PiCore on a Pi 3B+ as a server in two locations, and built a 3rd for a friend. All have a HDD (WD 2TB Elements Portable External Hard Drive - USB 3.0 - WDBU6Y0020BBK) connected to the Pi and it works fine. ~$100USD for a server with 2TB of file space is a great bargain. I also use samba to use the Pi HDD as a backup to my PC files (pictures, important files, etc), so the ~$100 also includes a file backup system.

    Regarding the OP comment on mp3 files, if I read it correctly, the mp3's play poorly on both the transporter and the PC, the FLAC's play fine? I would suspect the MP3 files themselves, how are they created?

    Jim

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    With the ongoing development of LMS v8 and other things such as Material there is really no other server software that comes close. Roon might but IIRC is very expensive.

    With that in mind a big +1 for Grumpy Bob's suggestion. Get a Pi. Its a nice little project that will while a bit of time. Lets face it we all have quite a bit of time on our hands. You don't need Linux skills and there is plenty of help on here. Once you have built it it will be very stable.
    I'm using LMS 8.0, Material and the new online music integration plugin, and with other plugins it provides a really rich interface to my music.

    Robert
    Home: Raspberry Pi 3/piCoreplayer/LMS7.9.2 with files on QNAP TS-251A
    Touch > DacMagic 100 > Naim Audio Nait 3 > Mission 752 (plus Rega Planar 3 > Rega Fono Mini; Naim CD3)
    2 x Squeezebox Radios, 1 X Squeezebox 3 (retired), spare Pi2/piCorePlayer
    Office: LMS7.9.2 running on WiFi MyPassport drive > Raspberry Pi 3 with touchscreen/piCorePlayer/IQaudIO DAC and Amp
    SqueezePad, iPeng as controllers

    last.fm/user/GrumpyBob

  6. #6
    Senior Member Tex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    178

    Just to chirp in

    I agree with the other posters that LMS 8.0.0 on a Pi 3 with a WD usb drive is hard to beat.
    And I seem to notice a difference in Flac & MP3 320 files but I've never noticed distortion with the MP3 files.
    (1) Pi 3 w/ HifiBerry Digi + Pro, piCorePlayer 6.0.0, LMS 8.0.0, WD usb drive for Music files
    (1) Touch, (1) Transporter, (1) Duet
    QLogitechMediaServer on QNAP TS-853a

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    11,648
    mp3 files play perfectly on my Transporter. No distortion and sound very good. So I'd look elsewhere for the problem. One thing though, in LMS > Settings, Player Tab, select Transporter, then AUDIO, and make sure that bitrate limiting is set to OFF. You might inadvertently be converting your mp3 files to very low bitrate.
    Home: VBA 4TB (2.5)>LMS 7.9.2>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet, Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>LMS 7.9.2>Squeezelite
    The Wild (no internet): PiCorePlayer 4.0 on rPi 3B+, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpa > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    2

    Fixed, and thanks!

    Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    mp3 files play perfectly on my Transporter. No distortion and sound very good. So I'd look elsewhere for the problem. One thing though, in LMS > Settings, Player Tab, select Transporter, then AUDIO, and make sure that bitrate limiting is set to OFF. You might inadvertently be converting your mp3 files to very low bitrate.

    Thanks all for your help! This was my very first post but I'm excited to see the willingness of the community to help out! So, the MP3 horrible sound was fixed this morning (after some forum research) by doing the custom-convert.conf hack in my preference panes folder so now the MP3s are being transcoded as PCM. Still not sure why the MP3 format was so problematic for this player, but having them as PCM completely fixed the terrible "artifacts" and "glitching" I was getting. While they are not lossless (yeah yeah I kow...) they were still high quality 320kbps files and after 15 years of building a library you can imagine I didn't want to have to start entirely from scratch.

    As for the other issue, LMS has no problem with my built in hard drive on the Mac, just doesn't like the external drive(s) I've tried - I point to that folder and rescan but nothing. I realize this is more complicated than ever in Catalina since permissions are even more challenging and it seems as though LMS simply can't access the drive like it needs to. Anyway, I might look into the raspberry pi thing at some point but at least I can listen to my existing MP3 collection (while I seek to re-import them as FLAC over time). Thanks again all!


    -Jay

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    11,648
    Quote Originally Posted by sacguy231 View Post
    Thanks all for your help! This was my very first post but I'm excited to see the willingness of the community to help out! So, the MP3 horrible sound was fixed this morning (after some forum research) by doing the custom-convert.conf hack in my preference panes folder so now the MP3s are being transcoded as PCM. Still not sure why the MP3 format was so problematic for this player, but having them as PCM completely fixed the terrible "artifacts" and "glitching" I was getting. While they are not lossless (yeah yeah I kow...) they were still high quality 320kbps files and after 15 years of building a library you can imagine I didn't want to have to start entirely from scratch.

    As for the other issue, LMS has no problem with my built in hard drive on the Mac, just doesn't like the external drive(s) I've tried - I point to that folder and rescan but nothing. I realize this is more complicated than ever in Catalina since permissions are even more challenging and it seems as though LMS simply can't access the drive like it needs to. Anyway, I might look into the raspberry pi thing at some point but at least I can listen to my existing MP3 collection (while I seek to re-import them as FLAC over time). Thanks again all!


    -Jay

    good to hear you've solved the problem with mp3. Still odd, as I don't have to do anything special with my Transporter (or other players) (custom convert) to play my mp3 files.
    Home: VBA 4TB (2.5)>LMS 7.9.2>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet, Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>LMS 7.9.2>Squeezelite
    The Wild (no internet): PiCorePlayer 4.0 on rPi 3B+, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpa > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

  10. #10
    Babelfish's Best Boy mherger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    20,388

    Running transporter off differentserver? LMS alternative?

    You could also describe the problem you're having to solve them, rather
    than ask for a replacement? Just a thought....

    --

    Michael

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •