Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 38
  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    822
    I have two Raspberry Pi 3+ boards. One has a HiFiBerry standard DAC on it which is very good -- much better in fact than it has a right to be. I could easily live with it as my only player. I find it better than the analog outputs of my Touch.

    The other RPi has a Digi+ Pro HAT on it that outputs into my Bel Canto C5i's DAC. It is also excellent.

    I use the HiFiBerry OS (operating system) on both RPis. It is also an excellent choice if you don't want to use the RPi as anything other than a player.

  2. #12
    I have over five Raspberry Pi based units most with Digi Hats feeding a digital signal in to the system DAC . I also have a Justboom Amphat powering speakers in the Kitchen . I have a SBT but it is currently unused in the large chest i use to keep all my excess wires and equipment.

    All the Digihats I have tested HiFiBerry , JustBoom , Allo Digione offer a much better sound quality through the DAC,s in the various system I use which is not surprising as in each case the DAC is over three times the cost of the SBT . I would say that the AlloDigione when used with the Shanti power supply is by far the best digital source i have used to date and is the one I would reccomend.

    Using DAC boards the Khardas Toneboard is the best audio quality i have heard as a pure Pi and DAC combination and this offers in my view much better sound quality than a SBT on its own . I have not used any other hat DAC,s as listed above but I would say that all of the items offered by Allo Audio seem to be made and designed with sound quality as the main objective so any DAC Hat they make is likely to to sound excellent and would be at least the equal of an SBT if not better.
    System - Concordant Exhilirant Valve Pre , SBT Triode EDO,Toolbox 3.0 , Theta Data Basic II Transport , Perpetual Technology P-1a,P-3a,Anti Mode 2.0 Dual Core,Krell KSA50 MK 1 .

  3. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by bencat View Post
    I have over five Raspberry Pi based units most with Digi Hats feeding a digital signal in to the system DAC . I also have a Justboom Amphat powering speakers in the Kitchen . I have a SBT but it is currently unused in the large chest i use to keep all my excess wires and equipment.

    All the Digihats I have tested HiFiBerry , JustBoom , Allo Digione offer a much better sound quality through the DAC,s in the various system I use which is not surprising as in each case the DAC is over three times the cost of the SBT . I would say that the AlloDigione when used with the Shanti power supply is by far the best digital source i have used to date and is the one I would reccomend.

    Using DAC boards the Khardas Toneboard is the best audio quality i have heard as a pure Pi and DAC combination and this offers in my view much better sound quality than a SBT on its own . I have not used any other hat DAC,s as listed above but I would say that all of the items offered by Allo Audio seem to be made and designed with sound quality as the main objective so any DAC Hat they make is likely to to sound excellent and would be at least the equal of an SBT if not better.
    Have missed this input in the flow ... :-/ this was a really interesting read. Thanks for input! :-)

    Seems like you've done lots of comparasion? Do you have any preferences feeding your DAC? (optical or coax?) Also regarding your kitchen setup; been thinking about these "AMP HATS" that exist. Could be really interesting solution in different setups. Would love to hear more specific what speakers you're driving with that Amp Hat? I can google for specs myself naturally if you have brand & model. Otherwise if you know power, sensitivity, impedance maybe?

  4. #14

    My subjective end conclusion

    Ok so think I should add my own experience now when I've had some time for some listening tests. Ended up with as a test buying an AUDIOPHONICS I-Sabre LTE DAC ES9023 HAT.

    And my most subjective conclusion is that it's better than a Touch but the differences are small. Sometimes with a different song I liked the Touch performance better but as a whole, yes the Rpi combo is better.

    To sum it up and as help for anyone else reading; would agree completely with what "zordaz" wrote : >

    "I did a blind listening test with a RPI2+Hifiberry DAC+ and my SB Touch a few years ago and could't hear the difference.
    IMHO all RPI add-on boards from established brands are fine. Let your choice therefore depend on compatibility and support.
    "
    Last edited by doggod; 2020-07-06 at 01:06.

  5. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    390
    I bought an Allo Boss with the hope of replacing my Touch in my main stereo as I could also then run video (concerts) through it as well. My wife and I both instantly agreed (surprisingly, based on expectations, tbh) that the Touch sounded better. Videos go through the Allo, FLAC still through the Touch. My endless search for a used DAC is well, endless, at which point I'll retire (relocate) the Touch.
    Last edited by fphredd; 2020-07-05 at 19:44.

  6. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Barcelona
    Posts
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by doggod View Post

    To sum it up and as help for anyone else reading; would agree completely with what "zordaz" wrote : >

    "I did a blind listening test with a RPI2+Hifiberry DAC+ and my SB Touch a few years ago and could't hear the difference.
    IMHO all RPI add-on boards from established brands are fine. Let your choice therefore depend on compatibility and support.
    "
    +1 I've compared to IQaudio DAC+ and Khadas Toneboard, cannot tell the difference with SB Touch

    Don't discard age factor since I'm over 50

  7. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    UK/London
    Posts
    3,145
    Quote Originally Posted by waldo View Post
    Don't discard age factor since I'm over 50
    I suspect that is a common factor here on the forum.
    There may well be some youngsters here below 40 but I suspect not many.
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), KCRW, Supla Finland, ABC Australia, CBC/Radio-Canada and RTE Ireland

  8. #18
    Senior Member pkfox's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Surrey, UK
    Posts
    577
    Quote Originally Posted by waldo View Post
    Here previous owner of a SB Touch. Couple of years ago made the jump to Raspi2 (running both LMS server and player) + IQAudio Pi DAC+ (unbalanced RCA).
    Could not tell the difference between both DACs.
    Take into account I'm +50 and much as I enjoy my amp (Nad C352) + loudspeakers (AE Evo1) for their "musicality", I know "detail" is not the best.

    I'll probably get rid of the Pi2 + IQaudio now because I need a Raspi4 and don't dare to put a HAT on that. Will be using a Khadas Tone Board (USB DAC instead).
    Why wouldn't you put a hat on a pi 4 ?
    We can't stop here this is bat country. RIP Hunter S Thompson.

    Friendlyarm Nanopi M4 V1 NVME M2 SSD 1TB -> Chord Qutest DAC -> Meridian 551 -> Monitor Audio Gold -> Me

  9. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Barcelona
    Posts
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by pkfox View Post
    Why wouldn't you put a hat on a pi 4 ?
    Because a Pi4 is terribly hot compared to previous models. I ended up with the Flirc case, which is both a case + heat dissipator and am very happy I did so.
    I believe that using a HAT would mean, at least, the raspi processor slowing down to avoid heat damage (and for similar performance, then I'd rather use a Raspi 3)

  10. #20
    Senior Member pkfox's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Surrey, UK
    Posts
    577
    Quote Originally Posted by waldo View Post
    Because a Pi4 is terribly hot compared to previous models. I ended up with the Flirc case, which is both a case + heat dissipator and am very happy I did so.
    I believe that using a HAT would mean, at least, the raspi processor slowing down to avoid heat damage (and for similar performance, then I'd rather use a Raspi 3)
    I think the Pi group have lost their way a bit - removing the full size HDMI for one and adding two minis was a mistake in my book. Who will want to run a dual monitor setup on a pi ? and yes I agree they run a lot hotter than the other models. I've used a 3b+ as my LMS server and player for years now without any problems. I'd be interested to know how you use a Khados tone bar as I would like to try using another SBC ( FriendlyElec Nanopim4 v2) as a server and player and as none of the pi DAC hats will work on them maybe a Khados is the answer. My motive for using it is you can fit a NVME M2 SSD drive via a hat and that would enable me to get rid of my external USB drive and reduce the clutter of wires. Does the Khados simply plug into a USB port ?
    We can't stop here this is bat country. RIP Hunter S Thompson.

    Friendlyarm Nanopi M4 V1 NVME M2 SSD 1TB -> Chord Qutest DAC -> Meridian 551 -> Monitor Audio Gold -> Me

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •