Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Squeezebox Boom Rotary Encoder

My trusty desktop Boom has developed a fault with the rotary encoder used for menu navigation volume etc. The rotary element works fine, but the push button element has collapsed and no longer responds. It's lost it's 'spring' and even pushing and pulling on it fails to work.

Does anyone know the manufacturer / model of this part?

Name:  IMG_20200318_134755.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  240.2 KB

It's a 6mm shaft, but it's very short, around 8mm long and I guess is 20 pulses / revolution as it's indexed with 20 position steps.

The next step will be to remove it to see if there's any details on the reverse of it, unless anyone has any insight they can offer!

Thanks,

Andy.

I have a few spares, happy to send you one. They are not produced anymore
    LMS 7.7, 7.8 and 7.9 - 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB2. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, JBL OnBeat, XBoxOne, XBMC, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, , Pi B3, B2, Pi B+, 2xPi A+, Odroid-C1, Odroid-C2, Cubie2, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5

Quote Originally Posted by philippe_44 View Post
    I have a few spares, happy to send you one. They are not produced anymore
    Phillipe,

That's incredibly kind of you, please allow me to cover postage costs and whatever you want for the encoder. If you can PM me with a Paypal or similar and how much you want I'll be happy to pay and let you have my address.

Andy.

The Boom lives on!

Thanks to Philippe, my boom has had an encoder transplant and is now back in pride of place on my desk!

What a great community this is!

I've got the new part here with me, I've disassembled the Boom and I have the daugherboard in front of me. Problem is the rotary encoder appears to be soldered and glued on it. Are there instructions anywhere on how to remove it? Some small soldering work I've done in the past and this doesn't appear to be prohibitively complicated but... I don't have the slightest idea on how to remove the existing faulty piece from the daughterboard.

Edit: yeah... unfortunately this wasn't meant to be. I managed to desolder the malfunctioning piece but I'm pretty sure that, in the process, I must have damaged some traces on the board. I soldered the new piece, closed the Boom, turned it on. Works perfectly. With no rotary encoder functionality at all. At least before volume was working...

Thanks a lot to Philippe for giving me a chance to try. I simply wasn't up to it.
    I leave this as a note of caution for people thinking this is an incredibly simple job. In my experience it isn't.

Edit 2: I tried following the advice here, which seemed pretty appropriate to my case: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsraKaSnJa8
    Last edited by gorman; 2020-05-30 at 08:50.