Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Overlay for DAC audiophonics i-sabre ES9023 in PcP 6.0.0?

Hi everyone,

I recently had my first experiences with PiCorePlayer as server+player and I am very impressed.
    I was using a DAC Audiophonics i-sabre ES9023. They have some instructions to install the DAC on PiCorePlayer:
    Audiophonics tutorial DAC PiCorePlayer

These instructions from 2017 are a bit outdated and refer to PcP 3.20. However I notice that on their screenshots, the choice of audio interfaces in PcP menus for squeezelite includes:
    "I-Sabre-ES9023 DAC"

This overlay choice is not in PcP 6.0.0. Choosing "ESS 9023 DAC" instead works, but there are no configuration options available.

Does anyone know why the I-sabre-ES9023 was removed?

Thanks, Marc

Quote Originally Posted by truscellino View Post

This overlay choice is not in PcP 6.0.0. Choosing "ESS 9023 DAC" instead works, but there are no configuration options available.

Thanks, Marc
    Name:  ess9023dac.png
Views: 213
Size:  88.6 KB

The only cards using ESS products that officially supported are the.

Audiophonics iSabre Q2M and the Allo Katana.

All other DACs "might" work with a Generic i2s card. The reason for this is that only those two cards went through the proper driver creation process, and merged their drivers into the rpi kernel.
    Last edited by paul-; 2020-03-17 at 16:04.
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

OK, that makes sense. Thank you very much for quick replies.

Marc

Quote Originally Posted by paul- View Post
    The only cards using ESS products that officially supported are the.

Audiophonics iSabre Q2M and the Allo Katana.

All other DACs "might" work with a Generic i2s card. The reason for this is that only those two cards went through the proper driver creation process, and merged their drivers into the rpi kernel.
    Actually stumbled over this thread when searching for something else ..it made me curious. I'm a novice in the wonderful world of Linux but learning :-)

So excuse my poor knowledge, please someone explain what exactly does this mean in reality?
    The reason for this is that only those two cards went through the proper driver creation process, and merged their drivers into the rpi kernel.
    Poor audio quality? Or perhaps not as good as it could/should be, or what?

Quote Originally Posted by doggod View Post
    So excuse my poor knowledge, please someone explain what exactly does this mean in reality?

Poor audio quality? Or perhaps not as good as it could/should be, or what?
    Legal vs illegal. Other ESS drivers that were published by some before these 2 cards were illegal. In that someone violated ESS NDA's and the drivers contain copyrighted information. Anyone who wants to build a ESS based dac, that fully utilizes the chips capabilities, needs to bury the that information in a micro controller that controls the dacs......then the linux drivers just sends a basic command to the Micro-controller. That is how the Katana, and the Audiophonics iSabre Q2M function.

Legal vs illegal. Other ESS drivers that were published by some before these 2 cards were illegal. In that someone violated ESS NDA's and the drivers contain copyrighted information. Anyone who wants to build a ESS based dac, that fully utilizes the chips capabilities, needs to bury the that information in a micro controller that controls the dacs......then the linux drivers just sends a basic command to the Micro-controller. That is how the Katana, and the Audiophonics iSabre Q2M function.

:-) Well thanks a lot for your fine explanation but sadly it doesn't make my novice brain much wiser :-/ :-) But I think/hope I understand what you're saying ...
    So i guess it means the Katana and Audiophonics iSabre Q2M are "legal" and the card the OP is mentioning is not? E.g. if the OP would have had an Audiophonics iSabre Q2M there would be more (as he calls it) "configuration options"? And if so, what would eventually be the benefits?

I think what I'm trying to say/find out is how would one know when buying a Rpi hat DAC if there is optimized drivers and what could be the advantages?

Quote Originally Posted by doggod View Post
    :-) Well thanks a lot for your fine explanation but sadly it doesn't make my novice brain much wiser :-/ :-) But I think/hope I understand what you're saying ...
    So i guess it means the Katana and Audiophonics iSabre Q2M are "legal" and the card the OP is mentioning is not? E.g. if the OP would have had an Audiophonics iSabre Q2M there would be more (as he calls it) "configuration options"? And if so, what would eventually be the benefits?

I think what I'm trying to say/find out is how would one know when buying a Rpi hat DAC if there is optimized drivers and what could be the advantages?

Research and ask questions.

What card would you like to know about? Post a link. Post some details as to what you are trying to do? Someone will offer an opinion.