Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    Junior Member optimxr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Northern Arizona
    Posts
    4

    Unable to Add or Remove Folders in Library

    I am using LMS 7.7.6(just updated from 7.7.3) and I have several old folders that do not exist on the media drive but I am not able to remove them from the Library list in either the control panel or the Web app. The same goes for adding an existing folder that I can browse to. I have done a full rescan several times, done a cleanup of the cache and checked the permissions of the existing folders(they are all shared with r/w permissions for everyone).
    Someone suggested removing all the folders and trying just the one folder of interest but that seems a bit extreme since I have over 30 folders in the Library currently that are working. I don't see any folder problems in the server logs. Any suggestions?

    System: Windows 10 Pro, 1909, 2TB WD Drive, Asus P8Z77-V MB, 16GB RAM.

  2. #2
    Babelfish's Best Boy mherger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    20,460

    Unable to Add or Remove Folders inLibrary

    Anything in server.log?

    And the suggestion about deleting all entries but one is still valid. Do
    yourself a favor, do it. You certainly do have a backup of the
    configuration to quickly revert to previous state if that didn't work.

    --

    Michael

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    5,138
    Quote Originally Posted by optimxr View Post
    I am using LMS 7.7.6(just updated from 7.7.3) and I have several old folders that do not exist on the media drive but I am not able to remove them from the Library list in either the control panel or the Web app. The same goes for adding an existing folder that I can browse to. I have done a full rescan several times, done a cleanup of the cache and checked the permissions of the existing folders(they are all shared with r/w permissions for everyone).
    Someone suggested removing all the folders and trying just the one folder of interest but that seems a bit extreme since I have over 30 folders in the Library currently that are working. I don't see any folder problems in the server logs. Any suggestions?

    System: Windows 10 Pro, 1909, 2TB WD Drive, Asus P8Z77-V MB, 16GB RAM.
    Is this the same issue you had in 2014?
    https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=781651

    Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Western & Northern New York
    Posts
    280
    Quote Originally Posted by optimxr View Post
    Someone suggested removing all the folders and trying just the one folder of interest but that seems a bit extreme since I have over 30 folders in the Library currently that are working.
    This is a stab in the dark, but you could try this as a test (If I am understanding your problem):

    1) Create a new folder path and copy, say, one or two "albums" of music. Or, just choose one of your 30 folders.
    2) Point your LMS to this new folder as the library (LMS settings UI -> Basic Settings -> Media Folders)
    3) Maybe even change the playlist folder to this folder as well (no good reason)
    4) Do a rescan.

    If everything works as expected, then maybe start to add your 30 folders back a few at a time and see if something causes the issue to reappear.

    Jim

  5. #5
    Junior Member optimxr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Northern Arizona
    Posts
    4

    Unable to Add or Remove Folders in Library(Control Panel)

    Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    Is this the same issue you had in 2014?
    https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=781651

    Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    Thanks for reminding me, Staribartfast. I went back to my old 2014 logs and discovered I had found a work-a-round using the Web Interface. But since it was a Windows 7 machine with different hardware system, I hadn't considered that would work the same. However, here's what I have determined. If I add a folder using the Web>Basic Settings page and rescan, it keeps the folder and I can see and run the tracks on my SB OK. However, if I apply and save this new list, then open Control Panel, I do not see the change I made in the Web Interface. Further If I close the CP and re launch it, it starts a rescan automatically and reverts back to the original list(less the added folder). When I check the Web Interface>Basic Settings, it has also been returned to the original list minus the folder that I had added and used on my SB. The Control Panel seems to be stuck on one list and rescans back to that list when any changes are made. Is there a way to disable the auto-rescan when I first launch the Control Panel? Is there some reason why the Web Interface and Control Panel are not linked or synced? Would doing an update to the most recent version(7.9.2) possibly cure this problem? BTW, thanks for the other responses. I appreciate the suggestions and may try those if need be.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Western & Northern New York
    Posts
    280
    I am not running LMS on windows anymore, so I don't have a control panel to look at, but reading both your posts, I have a couple thoughts.

    It seems that maybe their is a "number of file paths" limitation that is different between the control panel and web UI, perhaps causing one or more of the paths to be truncated from the list, when the control panel is launched? Like an array was created to store the paths and you have exceeded the max for one UI but not the other?

    But, this would not explain not being able to remove the file paths that don't exist anymore (original post).

    I assume you are individually entering the 30+ paths into the UI? I am not sure if LMS will accept this, but windows 10 has a "library" feature where you could have a library folder of your 30+ paths. If LMS would accept this as input (I have not tried it), you could just have one path for your music, and edit the windows library folder to add your other paths. This kind of goes back to my suggestion to try one folder and add back one at a time.

    Jim

  7. #7
    Not sure if I understood your problem right, but it seems that I have the same problem. I am also not able to change settings in the media folder section: https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...a-media-folder

  8. #8
    Junior Member optimxr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Northern Arizona
    Posts
    4

    Unable to Add or Remove Folders in Library(Control Panel)

    Quote Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
    I am not running LMS on windows anymore, so I don't have a control panel to look at, but reading both your posts, I have a couple thoughts.

    It seems that maybe their is a "number of file paths" limitation that is different between the control panel and web UI, perhaps causing one or more of the paths to be truncated from the list, when the control panel is launched? Like an array was created to store the paths and you have exceeded the max for one UI but not the other?

    But, this would not explain not being able to remove the file paths that don't exist anymore (original post).

    I assume you are individually entering the 30+ paths into the UI? I am not sure if LMS will accept this, but windows 10 has a "library" feature where you could have a library folder of your 30+ paths. If LMS would accept this as input (I have not tried it), you could just have one path for your music, and edit the windows library folder to add your other paths. This kind of goes back to my suggestion to try one folder and add back one at a time.

    Jim
    Hi Jim, so what I have been able to do now is make all my folder changes in the Web UI, rescan for new file changes and click apply,close and the folders that I either added or deleted are changed.
    When I check my SB, all these new folder changes are in place and working. If I then click on the Control Panel>Library, the Library list is still unchanged. However, if I then restart my machine the changes do show up in the control panel and are still working in the Web UI and on my SB. I am not convinced that just following this sequence is the solution to my problem, but it works for now. I did start to eliminate all the folders but one in the Web UI, but this new work-a-round persuaded me to continue working with just the Web UI to get my changes made. Another concern I have is the fact that I use JRiver as a player, which is a fairly advanced application that could be causing conflicts with LMS. I need to uninstall it temporarily to test my theory I guess but that will be a big task indeed. I hope what I have posted is clear enough for those who are experiencing similar problems so they can try what I have done. I thank you for your input and any other suggestions are always welcome.
    Optimxr

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Western & Northern New York
    Posts
    280
    Quote Originally Posted by optimxr View Post
    Hi Jim, so what I have been able to do now is make all my folder changes in the Web UI, rescan for new file changes and click apply,close and the folders that I either added or deleted are changed.
    When I check my SB, all these new folder changes are in place and working. If I then click on the Control Panel>Library, the Library list is still unchanged. However, if I then restart my machine the changes do show up in the control panel and are still working in the Web UI and on my SB. I am not convinced that just following this sequence is the solution to my problem, but it works for now. I did start to eliminate all the folders but one in the Web UI, but this new work-a-round persuaded me to continue working with just the Web UI to get my changes made. Another concern I have is the fact that I use JRiver as a player, which is a fairly advanced application that could be causing conflicts with LMS. I need to uninstall it temporarily to test my theory I guess but that will be a big task indeed. I hope what I have posted is clear enough for those who are experiencing similar problems so they can try what I have done. I thank you for your input and any other suggestions are always welcome.
    Optimxr
    I think I completely understand what you are seeing. So, if you want to add or delete a folder of music, if you do it through the web UI Server Settings (basic settings->media folders), and do a rescan, you can still see the folder changes listed, and the SB can find the new music and doesn't see the deleted music, correct?

    But, after that when you launch the Control Panel->Library, you still see the old folder, and don't see the new folder. It's like the Control Panel has not "caught up" to the change.

    Then, when you restart your machine (I assume you mean your PC, computer, etc) and then launch the control panel, you can see the changes.

    But, if you do not do the change in the web UI settings page, you make the changes in the Control Panel->Library, and rescan, the changes don't "take" you don't see them in the web UI, and the SB can't find the new music and still sees the old.

    A couple of things might be interesting to try:
    1) When you say you restart your machine, try just restarting LMS through the Control Panel "Stop" and "Start" buttons. See if this fixes it, or if you truly need to reboot your PC.
    2) If you delete a folder, and add a new one through the LMS Control Panel, rescan, and you can't see the changes in the web UI, is the new music there and the old music gone in the player?
    3) If it were me, I would still go back to one folder, and see if you can add a new folder, or a few at a time until it breaks, until the problem reappears. Then, you can back off to the last working folder set, and add a new folder at a time. Maybe this could identify a "number of folders" issue, or a bad folder path.

    I don't know how to do it, but I am sure there is a way to backup the contents of your set of folder paths, then start with zero, and go from there with #3 above. Then restore your folder set if you find the problem. Maybe another member of the community can tell you how to do this.

    But, since you have a work around, you could always live with it

    Jim

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    132
    It seems to be an old problem.
    I also want to change the foldernames but I cann't get it done. After applying the new foldernames they change to the old ones.

    Any ideas?

    UPDATE: I edit the server.prefs file with the correct foldernames. It seems to be a bug that you cannnot change it by default.
    Last edited by wbree; 2020-09-25 at 23:24.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________________________
    Logitech Media Server Versie: 7.9.4 - 1600144323 @ Wed Sep 16 04:07:50 WEDT 2020
    Platform: Windows Server 2012 R2 NL
    Plug-ins: Spotty v4.4.0 (M. Herger)
    3x Squeezebox Classic, 1x Touch, 1x Boom
    Spotify Premium Account (NL)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •