Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 13 of 55 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DOliana View Post
    If desired I could add 7.9.3 - just let me know. Also I was thinking whether 7.9.0 is still used or not - sadly there are no stats from docker hub to see if anybody is using it. What are your feelings about this?
    I’m struggling to think of a reason that anyone would want 7.9.0. Won’t it offer to auto-update itself to 7.9.2 anyway?

I can only see a use for the following streams:
    • For users: Stable release (Currently 7.9.2, but later 7.9.3)
    • For developers and testers: Nightly from the stable branch (Currently 7.9.n, but later 8.0.n)
    • For developers and testers: Nightly from the development branch (Currently 8.0.n, but, hypothetically, later 8.1.n)

The latest official Logitech release is 7.7.6, so I guess theoretically some people might want that too. The 7.7 branch does still receive fixes.

Hi guys,
    .... Also I was thinking whether 7.9.0 is still used or not - sadly there are no stats from docker hub to see if anybody is using it. What are your feelings about this?

The reason I am including the old versions is that I assume that some people would like the home-music system to just work in order to keep the WAF high ;-)
    Doliana,

I just checked the URL that
    http://www.mysqueezebox.com/update/?version=${VERSION}&revision=1&geturl=1&os=deb
    expands out to when VERSION=7.9.0 and it actually points to v7.9.2
    http://downloads.slimdevices.com/Log..._7.9.2_all.deb

So maybe the 7.9.2 and 7.9.0 tagged Docker images are actually the same?

Am I understanding the logic and redirection of the URLs correctly?

Quote Originally Posted by mavit View Post
    It sounds like we would benefit from being a bit clearer on nomenclature. When we say 7.9.2 we really mean 7.9.2, but when we say 7.9.3 or 8.0 we mean the nightly snapshot of what will eventually become that release. I think this is, understandably, confusing to people.
    So 7.9.3 and 8.0 are essentially the same?

To be honest in the beginning I struggled to find the correct version and then settled for 7.9.2 for my environment. Could you make a short list of what is stable, beta, alpha?

I think 7.9.3 is more 'stable', just getting fixes before (presumably) becoming an 'official' release.

8.0 is where the new development is taking place mostly.

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by mavit View Post
    I’m struggling to think of a reason that anyone would want 7.9.0. Won’t it offer to auto-update itself to 7.9.2 anyway?
    The latest official Logitech release is 7.7.6, so I guess theoretically some people might want that too. The 7.7 branch does still receive fixes.
    In the docker world an update would not occur inside the image, but would mean that a new image is pulled/new container created but using the "old" data. That is the reason why I build the image on a weekly basis (I could not find a way to make it trigger when a new build is available.

If desired (and the url-logic works - I haven't checked that) adding 7.7.6 would be no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by kidhazy View Post
    Doliana,
    So maybe the 7.9.2 and 7.9.0 tagged Docker images are actually the same?
    It definitely looks like it - I will remove 7.9.0. (I started the whole thing as branch from another repo, so I did not check that.)

So, adapting mavit's list I would go for the following images:
    • Legacy release (7.7.6)
    • Stable release (7.9.2)
    • beta release (7.9.3)
    • alpha release (8.0)

Does that look right to the people more involved with the development process? If so, would it make sense to add a alpha/beta tag to the images?

Quote Originally Posted by adhawkins View Post
    I think 7.9.3 is more 'stable', just getting fixes before (presumably) becoming an 'official' release.

8.0 is where the new development is taking place mostly.

Andy
    I thought 7.9.3 and 8.0.0 are both development branches.
    7.9.3 builds upon 7.9.2 with fixes and new features.
    8.0.0 includes Online Music Library integration on top of fixes and new stuff in 7.9.3
    Both are pretty stable but can be subject to accidental breakages on occasions
    Jim
    https://jukeradio.double6.net

VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Radio
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes

For anybody interested in testing: I created the images as described (until we agree on the required versions). There are now the following images:

• latest-SetProperVersions-7.7.6
    • latest-SetProperVersions-7.9.2
    • latest-SetProperVersions-7.9.3
    • latest-SetProperVersions-8.0

It would be great if someone could test the images on different architectures than armv7, since that's the only one I can test.

For anybody interested in testing: I created the images as described (until we agree on the required versions). There are now the following images:

It would be great if someone could test the images on different architectures than armv7, since that's the only one I can test.
    Thanks DOliana. This is all starting to come together with the automated builds, etc.

(I won't duplicate your teesting on armv7 as I'm assuming the v8 image is pretty much the same as what we tested the other day)

Many thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by kidhazy View Post
    Thanks DOliana. This is all starting to come together with the automated builds, etc.

Many thanks.
    You're welcome - nice to see somebody is using itt. I started it out just for myself

For anybody interested: Until now I never had problems switching images while keeping the data directories. It seems that LMS is pretty robust in that regard. That should make testing easier.

I think I am able to test the x64 versions. Although still somewhat in the Docker learning curve, I already have several other containers running via Docker-compose. I have to read through this thread and Github first, especially to understand the way the persistent parts of a LMS system are stored (via official Docker volumes? Via mappings?), so it might take some time before I can report my findings.
    Living Room: RPI2+HifiBerry DAC+ Pro & piCorePlayer
    Attic: RPI2+HifiBerry DAC+ RCA & piCorePlayer
    Other rooms: 6x SB Radio
    LMS: Version 8.2.0 on Xubuntu 21.04