Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

PicorePlayer : using GPIO to turn on/off Hi-Fi system

Hi,

I have seen in the tweak tab how to use the GPIO to turn on/off external device. But My external device is turning on/off not by the power suplly, but by a puslse on the main button. How can I set it up ?

thank you

yves

On/Off

Does the Hifi have an IR remote?

Quote Originally Posted by strebor56 View Post
    Does the Hifi have an IR remote?
    Yes, but I usually start the HiFi by pressing the main button

Does that mean that you cannot turn on the device via the remote because you really turn it off rather than put it into a standby mode?

The reason for the earlier question from @strebor56 was that if the device can be "turned on" via IR remote then you might be able to make the RPi send the same IR signal.
    You would need to add an IR transmitter and make sure that the signal can reach the IR receiver in the Hi-Fi.
    Paul Webster
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, ABC Australia and CBC/Radio-Canada
    and, via the extra "Radio Now Playing" plugin, AllZIC Radio, Caroline Flashback, Cesky rozhlas, Dandelion Radio, Europa Radio Jazz, Frequence3, FSK, JukeRadio, KlassikRadio.de, Linn Radio, Mother Earth, Naim Radio, Nova.fr, RadioBlues Flac, Radio Espace, Radio Swiss, RTE Ireland, Somehow Jazz, Supla Finland

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    Does that mean that you cannot turn on the device via the remote because you really turn it off rather than put it into a standby mode?

The reason for the earlier question from @strebor56 was that if the device can be "turned on" via IR remote then you might be able to make the RPi send the same IR signal.
    You would need to add an IR transmitter and make sure that the signal can reach the IR receiver in the Hi-Fi.
    in deed, i didn't understand that point, i assume to add IR receiver to rpi that will turn on at the same moment as the hifi.
    my issue is that the rpi woulf ot reach the hifi receiver.

any other idea than IR module ?

thx

yves

It is an IR transmitter that you would need.
    Then the RPi can turn on the receiver by sending a signal when you issue the LMS power-on command or perhaps Play.
    The transmitter could be on the end of a cable that you bring around to the front of the device.
    Paul Webster
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, ABC Australia and CBC/Radio-Canada
    and, via the extra "Radio Now Playing" plugin, AllZIC Radio, Caroline Flashback, Cesky rozhlas, Dandelion Radio, Europa Radio Jazz, Frequence3, FSK, JukeRadio, KlassikRadio.de, Linn Radio, Mother Earth, Naim Radio, Nova.fr, RadioBlues Flac, Radio Espace, Radio Swiss, RTE Ireland, Somehow Jazz, Supla Finland

For example see this old post
    https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...replayer/page7

Note pCP has moved on since then so things might not be exactly the same but it should be possible to do.
    Paul Webster

If you really want to do it via power to the HiFi then you need to find out if the HiFi accepts any other signals to tell it to shutdown/startup or you need to have the RPi connect to an external power switching until.
    Are you sure that if you power up the HiFi (by plugging in the power socket) that it will be ready to play from the RPi without any further "manual" intervention?
    Paul Webster

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    If you really want to do it via power to the HiFi then you need to find out if the HiFi accepts any other signals to tell it to shutdown/startup or you need to have the RPi connect to an external power switching until.
    Are you sure that if you power up the HiFi (by plugging in the power socket) that it will be ready to play from the RPi without any further "manual" intervention?
    No i cannot, as the hifi system can be powered up for some other reasons than using the player.. and cannot be shutdown if i turn on the rpi whilst the hifi was already on.

I was thinking about to create an application that reads the gpio output of the picoreplayer and another input connected to the status of the hifi (like a led), and when there is a change of state it send a pulse on another gpio tjat is connected to the main power button. but i have no idea how to add a service to the system running picoreplayer.

what do you think ?

yves

You can run any program you want. The user commands section near the bottom of the tweaks page is the easiest.
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer