Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Squeezebox Boom turning on and playing every afternoon after server migration

I recently had to decom my old Squeezebox server and moved this service to my Synology NAS. I installed the most recent 7.x version that was available for separate download/installation.

I set things back up and added my Squeezebox Radio to the new server and it seems to work as expected.

A week or so later I set up and added my Squeezebox Boom to the server and played some music from an iTunes plugin created playlist.

Every day since then the Boom has turned itself on and started playing from this playlist.

There is no alarm programmed.

How can I further troubleshoot this issue? Is there a log I should turn up debugging on to understand what is happening? The Squeezebox Boom worked perfectly on the previous installation.

Hopefully you haven't forwarded your LMS ports in your router...

https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...o-the-internet!
    Main system - Rock Solid with LMS 7.9.3 Official on WHS 2011 - 2 Duets and Squeeseslave
    Cabin system - Rock solid with LMS 7.9.3 Official on Win10 Pro - 1 RPi 3 Model B/Hifiberry DAC+ Pro/PiCorePlayer and Squeezeslave
    Squeezebox Boom - "At Large" player around both home and cabin
    Headphones and car - Android phone/Bluetooth w/full library on MicroSD card - PowerAmp music player app (similar to Material Skin)

Quote Originally Posted by w3wilkes View Post
    Hopefully you haven't forwarded your LMS ports in your router...

https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...o-the-internet!
    I havenít done this and donít see what it has to do with the described issue.

Quote Originally Posted by voip-ninja View Post
    I havenít done this and donít see what it has to do with the described issue.
    Someone could have been controlling your player if ports had been forwarded. What are your "power on resume" settings under Player settings/audio? Changing them might help but no idea why the issue would arise.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    Someone could have been controlling your player if ports had been forwarded. What are your "power on resume" settings under Player settings/audio? Changing them might help but no idea why the issue would arise.

Ok, I understand. Ports aren't forwarded so I don't think that could be the issue.

I need to check the settings when I get home, the local network restriction is preventing me from accessing the settings over my VPN.

I did do a small experiment though last night before I saw your comment. I observed that every time the player was powered on it immediately started playing the previously played playlist. This is not the behavior it had on the previous install. I hard powered off the player and powered it back up. Will see today if it's playing automatically again and I will also see if I play a playlist today if it starts playing it again on its own later this week.

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post

The problem happened again today.

For the Boom it was set to 'pause at power off resume at power on' so I changed it to 'stop at power off and remain stopped at power on'. We'll see what that does.

This must have been a fairly recent preferences/settings change possibly by the current active application developer keeping this project alive because I've been running pre Logitech slim devices servers for nearly 15 years and never experienced this issue before.

Obviously this is only the problem if the Boom is somehow losing power intermittently... the unit is old so it's possible that the power supply has become slightly intermittent.

This problem has continued to happen intermittently.

The Boom is now sitting unplugged while I debate if I should just uninstall this LMS version and install the one that Synology has published that is older but potentially more stable.

If anyone has any ideas on how to further troubleshoot I would love to find out about it.

Similar problem here

I'm having the problem of my Squeezebox Boom automatically turning itself on. It started near the end of 2019 for me - Nov or Dec. It may have correlated with me needing to change the URL of a radio station stream but I'm not 100% sure of that. Could also be related to adding the shairtunes plugin but again, not 100% sure of the timing of when I did that.

At the time it started I was running LMS 7.9.0. In Feb 2020 I upgraded to LMS 7.9.2 to try to fix it. As of a couple days ago I'm on 7.9.3 and it still does it.

The behavior is not predictable so far. I can go for days, even a couple weeks where it does not happen - then boom - it will do it multiple times a day or just once a day at any seemingly random time. Mostly it will turn on and continue with whatever radio station stream I had on previously (I mostly only listen to radio streams on it) but sometimes it will turn on and be on the "line in" plugin which I rarely ever use at this point. I changed the wakeup alarm to a different station a while ago as well with not impact.

I also have a Transporter as well as Squeezelitex configured on the Win10 PC which runs LMS (always on) and neither of these exhibit this behavior. I have played with the "power on resume" setting but doesn't seem to affect it much. I thought maybe a particular radio stream was causing the behavior so I've changed stations then powered off. At times I've thought this stopped it but then it starts doing it again.

Very weird after having this setup for a decade. My router ports are not open/forwarded either and I've had this router for a couple years - well before the trouble started.

Maybe a clue

Well, writing that post sparked me to go fool with the Boom - which had turned on again BTW. When I powered it off it hung - so then I held he power button until it rebooted.

In moving it around I noticed power cutting in and out and started fooling with the power cord which seems to have broken wire (moving the cord around can cause power to be lost or restored). I'm thinking maybe a bad cord is cycling power intermittently. If this is the cause, not sure why the unit would not just boot back to the "off" state, but I'll attempt to repair the cord and see if it stops the ghost power on.

I might have figured out something that could have been related to the problem I was having with my Boom periodically playing music on its own.

My SB Radios have been having problems staying connected to my wireless network. I run a Unifi Wireless Mesh network with four access points to cover a large home and basement. I believe that some updates to the firmware on the Unifi devices began causing network connectivity issues to the SB Radios and it seems to me that the server being overloaded with connection attempts from the radios might have been somehow causing the Boom to periodically start playing back music spontaneously.

I moved one of the SB radios to my office and hooked it up to a wired ethernet connection and also put the Boom in the same office.

Since doing this a couple of days ago there hasn't been a single case of the Boom spontaneously playing back music. Coincidence? Maybe.