Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wifiguy
    • Mar 2020

Solution to Touch Disconnecting from Mesh Wifi

I love my Squeezebox Touch, so like others I was disappointed when it kept losing connection after I switched to a mesh networking system in my home; see: https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...WiFi-overnight

The Touch's WiFi implementation is probably too old or non-standard, so using a more modern WiFi adapter seemed promising.

I've tested IOGEAR's Ethernet-2-WiFi adapter and it works beautifully. No more dropped connections. The Touch connects to it through its hardwired Ethernet port, and the adapter draws its power from the Touch's USB port so you don't need a separate wall power adapter.

I measured before-and-after power consumption, and the Touch load goes from about 12 to 16 watts so it won't greatly increase your electric bill.

If you want to try this solution yourself, here are the steps:

1. Purchase the IOGEAR Ethernet-2-WiFi adapter ($44):

It's made by a company headquartered in Irvine CA.

2. (Optional) Purchase a short Ethernet cable ($7) and short micro USB power cable ($7 pack of 5) to go with it:

It comes with longer cables which work, but these shorter cables fit nicely behind the Touch.

3. Configure the IOGEAR per its instructions.

Basic gist: You connect it to a computer via USB cable, manually set the computer to a specific IP address, navigate in your browser to the IOGEAR's IP address, enter your WiFi password so the IOGEAR knows it, disconnect from IOGEAR, and revert your computer's IP address to whatever it was before. IOGEAR will remember the password moving forward even if you power it off.

4. Connect the IOGEAR to your Squeezebox Touch: Ethernet cable to Ethernet port, USB cable to USB port.

The IOGEAR draws power from your Touch so you don't need a separate power adapter.

5. Change your Touch to use hard-wired Ethernet, under Settings/Advanced/Networking.
  • Nonreality
    • Feb 2008

Wow,what a great idea. I just got my touch running but once I installed Spotify I noticed at times it was stalling and quiting to advance songs on Playlist and was getting suspicious that its old wifi was having problems with my advance Gryphon router. I'm going to get one of these and see. Plus it makes total sense as I could take advantage of the N band especially going into the ethernet port. Thanks much for the great tip.
    PS: If I wasn't married there would be a direct cable already.[emoji6]

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use is the rule.

HTTP://www.last.fm/user/nonreality

Comment

Working...