Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Running LMS on Raspberry Pi for newbie to the Pi

Hi - I want to run LMS on a Raspberry Pi (rather than Win10) for a bunch of reasons. I have zero experience of the Pi and still need to buy one. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I need it to:

- connect to 3 wired SB3s and a wireless SB Radio, all sync'd

- play a 200GB FLAC library

- stream internet radio - ideally to include BBC iPlayer (or PlayHLS)

- the Raspberry Pi can be either wired or wireless (would slightly prefer wired for reliability when syncing)

Questions:

- which Pi version to buy? The lastest Pi 4? Or a cheaper Pi 3 B+? Or something else?

- is there a beginners guide to get me going? I don't even know which operating system to use! I am used to Windows and DOS (! - remember that?)

Quote Originally Posted by rbl View Post
    Hi - I want to run LMS on a Raspberry Pi (rather than Win10) for a bunch of reasons. I have zero experience of the Pi and still need to buy one. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I need it to:

- connect to 3 wired SB3s and a wireless SB Radio, all sync'd

- play a 200GB FLAC library

- stream internet radio - ideally to include BBC iPlayer (or PlayHLS)

- the Raspberry Pi can be either wired or wireless (would slightly prefer wired for reliability when syncing)

Questions:

- which Pi version to buy? The lastest Pi 4? Or a cheaper Pi 3 B+? Or something else?

- is there a beginners guide to get me going? I don't even know which operating system to use! I am used to Windows and DOS (! - remember that?)

As it is going to be an LMS server then Pi4 with 4GB RAM. You should definitely wire it. You also need to to add a USB HD to store your music. The Pi4 benefits from USB3 so look for a 1TB USB3 SSD disk.
    As to OS look at piCoreplayer. No Linux skills required and lots of help here which will explain how to install it, add LMS and generally get it going.
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Boom
    Kitchen UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Everything controlled by iPeng & Material on iOS

VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Boom
    Kitchen UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Everything controlled by iPeng & Material on iOS

Quick extra thing ... if your music is on a networked storage device (like a WD MyCloud) then you can access that from the RPi - there would be no need to buy an extra USB disk.

Get an official power supply for the RPi 4

Also - think about some optional components
    micro hdmi adapter
    case

Edit:
    If you go for a starter kit like d6jg referred to then the optional parts above are covered.
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), KCRW, Supla Finland, ABC Australia, CBC/Radio-Canada and RTE Ireland

Just to add -

The kit recommended by @d6jg is okay, but I'd bin the case as being not fit for purpose, the Pi4 runs hot - https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/v...3500&start=250

Get one of these instead -

Server - LMS 8.2.0 Pi4B 4GB/Argon one case/pCP v7.0.1 - 75K library, playlists & LMS cache on SSD (ntfs)
    Study - Pi3B/pCP 7.0.1/pi screen/Hifiberry DAC HAT Ruark MR1 Mk2
    Lounge - Pi2/pCP 6.0.0 > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > AudioEngine DAC1 > AVI DM5
    Garage - Squeezebox Boom + Fostex sub
    Dining Room - Pi3B/Bluetooth/Echo Show 8

Spares - 2xTouch, 1xSB Radio. 1xSB3, 6xRPi

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    As it is going to be an LMS server then Pi4 with 4GB RAM. You should definitely wire it. You also need to to add a USB HD to store your music. The Pi4 benefits from USB3 so look for a 1TB USB3 SSD disk.
    As to OS look at piCoreplayer. No Linux skills required and lots of help here which will explain how to install it, add LMS and generally get it going.

Perfect. From a quick look it seems that piCorePlayer is a very stripped down o/s focused on audio stuff. So a couple of questions:

- will I be able to stream radio, esp. using BBC iPlayer (or PlayHLS), via LMS (as I do in Win10)?

- will I still be able to use the Pi for all the other sorts of things that it can do. (e.g. use temperature sensors)?

Perfect. From a quick look it seems that piCorePlayer is a very stripped down o/s focused on audio stuff. So a couple of questions:

- will I be able to stream radio, esp. using BBC iPlayer (or PlayHLS), via LMS (as I do in Win10)?

- will I still be able to use the Pi for all the other sorts of things that it can do. (e.g. use temperature sensors)?
    LMS running on a Pi/piCorePlayer is no different to LMS/Win10.

Not sure what you mean by temperature sensors? piCorePlayer displays it's own CPU graph.

Name:  pi4temp.jpg
Views: 2201
Size:  99.4 KB
    Server - LMS 8.2.0 Pi4B 4GB/Argon one case/pCP v7.0.1 - 75K library, playlists & LMS cache on SSD (ntfs)

Quote Originally Posted by kidstypike View Post

Not sure what you mean by temperature sensors? piCorePlayer displays it's own CPU graph.

Name:  pi4temp.jpg
Views: 2201
Size:  99.4 KB
    I mean the various accessories that can be added to the Pi - sensors, motors etc.. It seems that piCorePlayer is a stripped down o/s focusing on audio and I am just wondering if there is any major loss of Pi functionality (over and above LMS) as a result?

I mean the various accessories that can be added to the Pi - sensors, motors etc.. It seems that piCorePlayer is a stripped down o/s focusing on audio and I am just wondering if there is any major loss of Pi functionality (over and above LMS) as a result?
    LMS on wheels?

No, no motors or sensors.

I have used Picoreplayer on a RPi4 and it is an excellent LMS server/player. However, if you want to use your RPi4 for other programs as well as LMS install the Raspian OS per raspberrypi.org. That site will give you full instructions on how to do this, as well as instructions and info on many other aspects of using the RPi. In my case, I wanted to run PLEX as well as LMS on my RPi4, so after using Picoreplayer for a while, I switched to Raspian to allow for the installation of Plex (and other programs) which I couldn't do with Picoreplayer. Google is your friend when it comes to getting instructions for things you want to do on the RPi that aren't covered on raspberrypi.org.