Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast
    The new version starts with black screen, have to do a closer look later.
    The old version, which was fine, starts about every 2nd time (after cold boot) with a "snow" screen. Christmas coming soon :-) Have to send verbose infos later.
    Will this beast ever become robust?

its throwaway remarks like that that put an end to me delivering and supporting my solutions 10 years ago as another alter-ego

Smileys help and I can take it as tongue in cheek but others may not

throwaway remarks discourage others from trying and providing feedback to help improve the robustness of a solution

I can look at the numbers on git and see the repo attracts many many visitors per day and many many downloads

so there must be reliability and robustness for some, or many, the silent masses

there's only so much money and time I can throw at a solution, dozens of OLED screens, DACs and Pi's, so many hours, its hard to count

but there's only so many scenarios I can throw at the builds

so I rely on folks to provide help, [hopefully] a little self-analysis, and at minimum a log, which you've been very helpful with

I can try and find solutions for flakey networks, bouncing servers, partial JSON playloads, and environments that push the limits

so awaiting your logs and additional info and I'm only too happy to get to the bottom of your exhibit

all the more fun when "it sometimes works" - yikes
    Last edited by shunte88; 2020-09-26 at 12:30.
    As of 2020/10/20

Total Albums: 14,283
    Total Artists: 20,134
    Total Genres: 721
    Total Playing Time: 24571:45:48

With another ~2000 yet to be ripped...

shunte,

see all your hard work and i am grateful for it. Your user support is also sensational! I have been frustrated about the impression of poorly tested "fast" versions. I think time is not only your most valuable asset. And a short feedback is better than none on a not operating version. Anyway, whoever is without fault, throw the first stone - sorry for the too short posting.

Back to work ;-)

PCP 6.1, LMS 7.9.1, Pi 3b+:

lmsmonitor (0.4.58) - built Sep 20 2020 09:57:04 which was otherwise fine for me:
    The "white snow" screen comes up after cold boot at the next day (powered off over night). After 2nd cold boot immediately afterwards, lmsmonitor always works fine.

Upfter update on 2020-09-25 20:34: This download was not working here at all (black screen).
    tc@pcTest61:/mnt/mmcblk0p2/tce$ PNAME=`cat /usr/local/sbin/config.cfg | grep "^NAME=" | cut -d'"' -f2`
    tc@pcTest61:/mnt/mmcblk0p2/tce$ sudo /mnt/mmcblk0p2/tce/lmsmonitor -n ${PNAME} -c -z -f7 -V
    tc@pcTest61:/mnt/mmcblk0p2/tce$

Today tried new download:
    lmsmonitor (0.4.58) - built Sep 24 2020 22:57:35. Timestamp of lmsmonitor file is 2020-09-25 04:57

Seems to work fine, "christmas screen" at cold startup is reproducible when player is off for longer then 6 minutes. Maybe some time constant when LMS kills the player out of its list?

hi Aki7,

no problem at all, long day and I should apologize for my whining

If you use gomonitor do you see the same snow on reboot?

Code:
    /mnt/mmcblk0p2/tce/gomonitor NA -z -f7 -V
    the monitor has a couple of extra calls to ensure i2c libraries are online - could be what your seeing but guessing heavily

I'll be pushing a new version of the monitor later today

I've been reworking the startup sequence, it spawns several things in parallel and I'd popped a routine Thursday/Friday that would wait for a flag to continue

Worked fine if everything fired in the expected way but I don't think I'd covered the scenarios that your system has shown on occasions. Sadly no channels or defer mechanisms in C to make life easier

I've retooled and its currently running on two of my setups. I've added a couple of extra setups on the network to stress the routines a little more. Rock solid thus far.

I also reworked the screen brightness functionality such that it can source its data via calculations or the weather data calls

Fixed a bug in timezone while I was there too, was fine for anyone West of Greenwich but not to the East not sure why I chose to implement it in the first place given I can simply look it up on the system - which is how it works now

Again thanks for your support, will ping back when code is pushed

Edit 20:45 EST
    0.4.59 pushed to repo
    Last edited by shunte88; 2020-09-27 at 17:46.
    As of 2020/10/20

Workaround for the "early christmas snow" screen

Short version:

Add a delay of 1 second to your autostart script (before lmsmonitor will be started).

Long Version:

At my test setup (PCP 6.1, LMS 7.9.1, pi 3b+, no DA board) has been a reproducible problem: When cold started after more then 6 minutes off-time, screen shows white "snow". After some fiddeling and testing i found a workaround: Add a delay of 1 second to your autostart script.

my test script:
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh

# Kill lmsmonitor if running, wait til its gone 
    if pid=$(pidof lmsmonitor); then
      echo "Kill running LMSMonitor"
      sudo killall lmsmonitor > /dev/null 2>&1 
      # Wait for end of kill, up to 700ms @ pi 3b+ :
      while pid=$(pidof lmsmonitor); do
        echo "Killing of LMSMonitor is ongoing ..." 
        sleep 0.1     
      done # Wait for end of kill 
    fi # lmsmonitor is running

# Start lmsmonitor, if not already running
    if ! pids=$(pidof lmsmonitor); then

# wait for squeeze to come online 
      until pids=$(pidof squeezelite squeezelite-dsd); do
        echo "Waiting for squeezelite ..."
        sleep 1
      done # squeeze is running

echo "Start LMSmonitor"
      PNAME=`cat /usr/local/sbin/config.cfg | grep "^NAME=" | cut -d'"' -f2`
      # On startup of player after switched off (powerless) for >= 6 minutes 
      # some runtime or timing condition leads to white snow on screen.    
      # This delay fixed it for me:
      sleep 1   
      sudo /mnt/mmcblk0p2/tce/lmsmonitor -n ${PNAME} -c -z -f7 > /dev/null 2>&1 &  
    fi # lmsmonitor is not running, start lmsmonitor

exit
    Last edited by Aki7; 2020-09-28 at 08:29.

@Aki7 great to see you've found a workaround

has me very confused I've got setups that bring up the monitor on boot and I've never seen the issue you describe

the only difference I can see is I use the splash screen - I enjoy seeing my artwork - I'm about to carve that same design into a wooden toilet seat and colorize with epoxy - classy or what!

the splash steps up the brightness as it displays and introduces a small delay as it does so

still makes no sense though, the splash is after all a display function

definitively an odd exhibit, really glad you've got it running 100%

now to spin up my CNC and get my other project rolling
    As of 2020/10/20

maybe a runtime or timing condition. I have no DA board at the test setup (for easy access the GPIOs). This is quite untypical for a piCorePlayer :-) Normally the DA board will do some initializion with i2s bus. Therefore maybe you cannot reproduce the problem?

maybe...

monitor doesn't interact with the DAC and there's code in gomonitor that'll wait on squeezelite coming online, it would need the audio device

dumping dmesg I see the DAC coming online roughly half way into the boot sequence, I'd expect everything to be settled before pCP starts running startup commands

good you got it going and hopefully the stability gods continue to cast favor
    As of 2020/10/20

Causes of OLED screen freeze symptom

There is also the possibility of a memory leak, but I figured out how to reproduce the issue 100%.
    Some of my favorite radio stations have installed PLAYHLS V2 on the LMS using the HLS method.
    OLED screen freezes immediately when HLS V2 type streaming radio broadcast is selected.

Hi @blackbird

I'll take a look at that

the streaming format shouldn't affect the monitor but maybe there's something amiss in the tags payload and we hit a null pointer or buffer overflow - either would potentially cause a freeze,same if visualization is active and we're getting something odd in the shared memory data

there were no "leaks" the last timeI ran the solution under valgrind, been a while so I'll repeat that exercise.

If you have example of a stream that has the exhibit could you post

As a sidebar I'm working on reducing the memory foot print of the monitor

All of the clock fonts are now rendered to memory dynamically, er... statically?!?, that reduced memory by a factor of 12. A selected font is only loaded if you specifically request it.

I've done the same for the weather graphics, weather icons are only loaded if you specifically request weather.

I'll round out this exercise with the visualization graphics and the easter egg graphics

source updated as I go, but holding out on updating the binary

Still a WIP but definitely heading in the right direction
    As of 2020/10/20