Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 101 of 114 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 1131
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
    Ok, probably not the right place to ask this, but....
    I have a Pi4, and have attached a USB 3.0 hard drive that is powered by the Pi
    Now, all is working fine with 2.0 port, but if I plug the drive into the 3.0 port it will disconnect (or not mount at all)
    I’m fine with using the Pi 2.0 port, but what reason would cause the 3.0 port to disconnect?
    Does the 3.0 port draw more power? Is it a bad chip in the drive? (It is a cheap USB drive)
    I had the same problems. I had a SSD in an USB enclosure and connected directly to my Raspberry Pi4 it was not possible to read my music files. At this time I was using max2play. Then I bought a USB hub and everything worked fine. The Raspberry obviously didn't supply enough power to the SSD via the USB connector. When I then started with piCoreplayer the SSD with the USB hub only worked on the USB 2 connector, not on USB 3. After all I bought another enclosure for the SSD an then it worked also on the USB 3.

Watch this story in postings #123, #150, #175, #176 and #330

I recommend, using a USB hub with separate power supply to avoid power problems with the direct connection to the Raspberry and if further problems occur to get another SSD enclosure.

The only data on the SD card worth backing up (assuming the music files are on another drive) is the CACHE and the piCore backup on /mnt/mmcblk0p2/tce/mydata.tgz. I do a backup of these files to the drive I have my music files. This can be automated with rsync and cron
    Someone with my skill level (pretty much just a consumer as far as Linux products are concerned) finds it easier to take the SD card to the PC, back it up, then return it to the Pi than start on the path to discover what "rsync" and "cron" mean. I tried using Filezilla and WinSCP to copy the files over the network to my PC, but they both failed, apparently because of permission issues. At that point I was once again out of my depth so returned to the familiar route.

Is there an easy-to-follow set of steps that one could follow to achieve what you have done? My music files are on an external USB drive identified as /dev/sda1
    Digital: Raspberry Pi 3B; piCorePlayer 6 + LMS 8; HifiBerry DAC+DSP > Yamaha RX-V2700 > Jamo speakers
    Analogue: HifiBerry DAC+DSP > Speakercraft MZC-66 > whole house
    Library: External USB drive
    Android: Squeezer app

Quote Originally Posted by Viragored View Post
    Someone with my skill level (pretty much just a consumer as far as Linux products are concerned) finds it easier to take the SD card to the PC, back it up, then return it to the Pi than start on the path to discover what "rsync" and "cron" mean. I tried using Filezilla and WinSCP to copy the files over the network to my PC, but they both failed, apparently because of permission issues. At that point I was once again out of my depth so returned to the familiar route.

Is there an easy-to-follow set of steps that one could follow to achieve what you have done? My music files are on an external USB drive identified as /dev/sda1
    It’s not an easy to follow process. Need to jump through a few hoops, for example, need download the rsync extension to pCp, and write a script. If you’re familiar with rsync, it’s not too hard to set up.

For copying files over Network, I use Cyberduck.
    Last edited by Tony T; 2020-08-06 at 16:54.
    Tony
     SBTouch ♪ SBRadio ♬

It’s not an easy to follow process. Need to jump through a few hoops, for example, need download the rsync extension to pCp, and write a script. If you’re familiar with rsync, it’s not too hard to set up.

For copying files over Network, I use Cyberduck.
    Thanks for the info. As I'd never heard of "rsync" I think I'll leave that way of working to others.

I'll have a look at Cyberduck, and hope it's got a magic way of getting round the user and owner permissions on the RPi that stopped the other programs from copying and pasting.

UPDATE:
    I've installed Cyberduck on my PC, and it has successfully copied /usr/local/slimserver to my PC, in just a couple of minutes. I tried the same thing with Filezilla which was quicker to finish, but only because it didn't transfer all the files (such as library.db which didn't make it to the PC), perhaps there's a setting somewhere in Filezilla that's getting in the way. If I've followed the earlier discussion correctly, transferring that folder back to the SD card would put LMS into the state it was at the time I made the copy.
    I've also copied mydata.tgz to the PC. Now I need to figure out if I can get a new card up and running, should I need to again, with backups of those two and a basic install of pCP and LMS.
    Last edited by Viragored; 2020-08-06 at 20:27.
    Digital: Raspberry Pi 3B; piCorePlayer 6 + LMS 8; HifiBerry DAC+DSP > Yamaha RX-V2700 > Jamo speakers
    Analogue: HifiBerry DAC+DSP > Speakercraft MZC-66 > whole house
    Library: External USB drive
    Android: Squeezer app

Quote Originally Posted by Clausi View Post
    I had the same problems. I had a SSD in an USB enclosure and connected directly to my Raspberry Pi4 it was not possible to read my music files. At this time I was using max2play. Then I bought a USB hub and everything worked fine. The Raspberry obviously didn't supply enough power to the SSD via the USB connector. When I then started with piCoreplayer the SSD with the USB hub only worked on the USB 2 connector, not on USB 3. After all I bought another enclosure for the SSD an then it worked also on the USB 3.

Watch this story in postings #123, #150, #175, #176 and #330

I recommend, using a USB hub with separate power supply to avoid power problems with the direct connection to the Raspberry and if further problems occur to get another SSD enclosure.
    You could always try a USB 3 male to USB Y cable with added power connector, works great with my external usb drive connected to my pi4, main cable to USB 3 socket on pi, power only to USB 2 socket.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    The main reason I do not go for full capacity is (was) to make it easier to copy partitions between SD cards to make backups.
    I had found in the past that 2 different 4GB cards had a different amount of real capacity and I could not copy the bigger 4GB to the smaller 4GB.
    Would there be a way to work around this issue? What if there were an option to expand the filesystem to 95% of the card's capacity, instead of full capacity? Would that be likely to work with other cards that are nominally the same size?
    LMS 8 nightly; 3 Squeezelite players connected by powerline ethernet; 5 wireless players connected via Airplay Bridge; 1 SqueezeAmp player
    no high-end or esoteric audio gear
    1 Squeezebox Radio (upgraded UE Smart Radio) now mostly retired

Yes - that would work well.
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), KCRW, Supla Finland, ABC Australia, CBC/Radio-Canada and RTE Ireland

Sorry I'm newbi.
    I'm on 6.0 into Raspberry 0.
    If i update to 6.1 i Will lose my settings?
    Thanks

Thank you!

piCorePlayer team (you know who you are :-)

Thank you, truly, for such an excellent bit of software. I set up, this morning, an old RPi2B as a player, added a WiFi dongle, and connected it's 1/8" jack to a BillBoard bluetooth speaker using it's AUX input. Had to do the wap_supplicant.conf to get the WiFi to work, but your instructions were spot on (and, I confess, it helps to do EXACTLY as the guide says -- put it on the SD card from the WindowsOS side of things rather than try it from the pCP shell login (DOH!).

I've now two pCP - one is the main system with both SqueezeLite (HiFiBerry digital out to my main stereo) and LMS connected to my NAS library, and now this pCP player in my bedroom with that Billboard speaker.

I love it when things just work :-)
    Last edited by gstalnaker; 2020-09-03 at 12:04.

Thanks for reporting. It can be easy!