Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 100 of 113 FirstFirst ... 50909899100101102110 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,000 of 1122
  1. #991
    Babelfish's Best Boy mherger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    20,452

    ANNOUNCE: piCorePlayer 6.0.0

    > What about converting the documentation from fixed web pages to a wiki?
    > That could allow the admins to spread the maintenance over lots more
    > people, relieve the coders of a bit of work, and likely keep things more
    > up to date than can sometimes be the case.


    http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=112712

    Not wiki, but with more user interaction in mind.

    --

    Michael

  2. #992
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Waihi Beach, New Zealand
    Posts
    215
    Quote Originally Posted by mherger View Post
    > What about converting the documentation from fixed web pages to a wiki?
    > That could allow the admins to spread the maintenance over lots more
    > people, relieve the coders of a bit of work, and likely keep things more
    > up to date than can sometimes be the case.


    http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=112712

    Not wiki, but with more user interaction in mind.

    --

    Michael
    Excellent proposals there, my best wishes for their success!
    Digital: Raspberry Pi 3B; piCorePlayer 6 + LMS 8; HifiBerry DAC+DSP > Yamaha RX-V2700 > Jamo speakers
    Analogue: HifiBerry DAC+DSP > Speakercraft MZC-66 > whole house
    Library: External USB drive
    Android: Squeezer app

  3. #993
    Senior Member Tony T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,093
    Quote Originally Posted by Viragored View Post
    I have put my LMS cache on the SD card so that I can back up the whole card on my PC. I'm a bit of an enthusiast for backup copies of valuable stuff. And recently I was pleased to be able to restore from PC to SD card with a fully working and only slightly out of date LMS. I never did find out what caused the RPi to crash and corrupt its SD card, but the same card is still chugging on. The SD card has been home to the cache for several months now, running 24/7 and has been reliable except for that one crash.

    My RPi file system is also expanded to the card's full 8GB, after my eventually working out that the problems I was experiencing during LMS scans were caused by LMS needing a bit more than the storage that was then available (IIRC, that was 2GB at the time). The minor downside is that backing up the card takes rather longer than it did - possibly a bit under 30 minutes.
    The only data on the SD card worth backing up (assuming the music files are on another drive) is the CACHE and the piCore backup on /mnt/mmcblk0p2/tce/mydata.tgz. I do a backup of these files to the drive I have my music files. This can be automated with rsync and cron
    Tony
     SBTouch ♪ SBRadio ♬

  4. #994
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    United States, Florida
    Posts
    11,910
    Quote Originally Posted by Viragored View Post
    I have put my LMS cache on the SD card so that I can back up the whole card on my PC. I'm a bit of an enthusiast for backup copies of valuable stuff. And recently I was pleased to be able to restore from PC to SD card with a fully working and only slightly out of date LMS. I never did find out what caused the RPi to crash and corrupt its SD card, but the same card is still chugging on. The SD card has been home to the cache for several months now, running 24/7 and has been reliable except for that one crash.

    My RPi file system is also expanded to the card's full 8GB, after my eventually working out that the problems I was experiencing during LMS scans were caused by LMS needing a bit more than the storage that was then available (IIRC, that was 2GB at the time). The minor downside is that backing up the card takes rather longer than it did - possibly a bit under 30 minutes.
    Cache is not needed to restore LMS. For example, if one stopped LMS, deleted the CACHE, then restarted LMS, it would restart just find and recreate the CACHE. At least that's my understanding.....
    Home: VBA2.5 4TB or rPi4B/pCP6.1/4TB>LMS 7.9.3>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B/pCP6.1/4TB>LMS 7.9.3>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet except Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>foobar2000
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP4.0, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir3 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: Ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

  5. #995
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    UK/London
    Posts
    2,911
    "Cache" also contains the sub-directories where plugins are installed - and the plugin configuration data.
    So not backing them up would result in a lot more work after a re-install of LMS.
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), KCRW, Supla Finland, ABC Australia, CBC/Radio-Canada and RTE Ireland

  6. #996
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    United States, Florida
    Posts
    11,910
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    "Cache" also contains the sub-directories where plugins are installed - and the plugin configuration data.
    So not backing them up would result in a lot more work after a re-install of LMS.
    Aha. Thanks. I guess in my own case, I save the "slimserver"directory with the cache and preferences to my computer, and edit out certain UUID info out of the "server.prefs" file, that way after a new install of LMS, I can simply replace that directory and I'm up and running. That's all independent of backing up the SD card. I used this approach on my Vortexbox (Linux) LMS installs as well in the past.
    Last edited by garym; 2020-08-06 at 07:18.
    Home: VBA2.5 4TB or rPi4B/pCP6.1/4TB>LMS 7.9.3>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B/pCP6.1/4TB>LMS 7.9.3>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet except Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>foobar2000
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP4.0, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir3 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: Ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

  7. #997
    Senior Member Tony T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,093
    I also back up the CACHE directory, but on a re-install I find that the only files I need to copy over are favorites.opml and server.prefs and the pCP settings (/mnt/mmcblk0p2/tce/mydata.tgz)

    Am I correct with this, or are there other files needed on a re-install to recover settings?
    Tony
     SBTouch ♪ SBRadio ♬

  8. #998
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    United States, Florida
    Posts
    11,910
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
    I also back up the CACHE directory, but on a re-install I find that the only files I need to copy over are favorites.opml and server.prefs and the pCP settings (/mnt/mmcblk0p2/tce/mydata.tgz)

    Am I correct with this, or are there other files needed on a re-install to recover settings?
    what about the prefs and plugins subdirectories?
    Home: VBA2.5 4TB or rPi4B/pCP6.1/4TB>LMS 7.9.3>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B/pCP6.1/4TB>LMS 7.9.3>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet except Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>foobar2000
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP4.0, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir3 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: Ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

  9. #999
    Senior Member Tony T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,093
    Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    what about the prefs and plugins subdirectories?
    From the Cache, the prefs are the files I copy over (server.prefs) and also my favorites (favorites.opml)
    And yes, youĺre correct, the plugins directories need to be copied over (knew that, but forgot about it in my post)
    Tony
     SBTouch ♪ SBRadio ♬

  10. #1000
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    9
    I prefer to do a backup of the sd card instead of saving different files and copy them to a new installation. I tried this with Clonezilla, which was not successful. Somehow it can't restore the partitions on a new sd card. Also tried under Windows with win 32 disk imager. Problem there was that the restored system on a new sd card was running slow and had some strange behaviour.

    Could one tell me, which program is the best to do a backup or image of the sd card in the way that it also can be restored on sd cards with a different size?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •