Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 135 of 142 FirstFirst ... 3585125133134135136137 ... LastLast
Results 1,341 to 1,350 of 1418
    Can I just reaffirm WoL works. It works from the command line and it works when you reboot pCP for me if the hardware supports it.

[Main Page] > [Diagnostics] > [Logs] > "dmesg" will give a WoL message.

If the NIC and MAC are correct it should just work. It is so simple I can't see how it could fail, but there are so many hardware/software combinations who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Erskine View Post
    [Main Page] > [Diagnostics] > [Logs] > "dmesg" will give a WoL message.

Are you saying that one could see and confirm in "dmesg" that the WoL command has been sent at boot? If so, what is the exact textline to look for?

ANNOUNCE: piCorePlayer 6.0.0

I don't know but I expect this would find it
    dmesg | grep -i -e "wol\|wake"
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), KCRW, Supla Finland, ABC Australia, CBC/Radio-Canada and RTE Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by doggod View Post
    Are you saying that one could see and confirm in "dmesg" that the WoL command has been sent at boot? If so, what is the exact textline to look for?
    Sorry doggod, I meant [Main Page] > [Diagnostics] > [Logs] > "boot"

Code:
    Loading configuration file... Done.
    Loading pcp-lms-functions... Done.
    Waiting for soundcard USB to populate. Done (1).
    Waiting for network. Done (1).
    Sending WOL magic packet (B8:AE:ED:7E:82:9F)... Done.
    Starting Openssh server... Done.
    Starting Squeezelite and/or Shairport-sync...

Quote Originally Posted by kbeast View Post
    I just confirmed on my setup, once it detects the network connection, it then sends the WOL and displays the mac address.

I can't test WOL since this server doesn't sleep. If you plug a monitor in you'll be able to clearly see when it's issuing the command. I have jivelite and i can see when its occuring.
    Yes I've a 7" touchscreen. Tried to reboot a couple of times put couldn't see anything that leads me to think it has to do with a WoL packet.

At what point in your boot process does it appear? e.g in between what textlines that comes up at boot?

Also is your Pi connected to your LAN via WifI or cable? I normally use cable (eth0) but now also tested via WiFi but problem remains the same.

Edit: > sorry to trouble you kbeast, no need to worry any more. just found out that my "problem" really wasn't a "problem" just misunderstood the meaning with the WoL function. See below for "solution".
    Last edited by doggod; 2021-01-17 at 04:34. Reason: problem solved

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Erskine View Post
    Sorry doggod, I meant [Main Page] > [Diagnostics] > [Logs] > "boot"

Code:
    Loading configuration file... Done.
    Loading pcp-lms-functions... Done.
    Waiting for soundcard USB to populate. Done (1).
    Waiting for network. Done (1).
    Sending WOL magic packet (B8:AE:ED:7E:82:9F)... Done.
    Starting Openssh server... Done.
    Starting Squeezelite and/or Shairport-sync...
    Thanks Greg! :-)

Sadly I've to say that I kind of wasted your time maybe? But in another way maybe not? I realise now that I wasn't 100% clear of what I tried to recieve and how my setup was. Done some more testing and came up with the "solution".

"Solution" is there probably wasn't any "problem" ... my setup was that I had LMS on the PCP Pi and my music on another machine/server and had it mounted to PcP's LMS. And I was thinking/hoping that I could wake up my server with the music on when I powered up PcP. Suddenly I came up with the idea that "maybe it's the LMS that is the problem?!?" And it sure was!

After shutting down LMS autostart function in PcP and tested the WoL function now WoL was working! I also tested and confirmed that WoL was sent when using WiFi.

So now my hope/question is if there somehow is a way to get this to work the way I want? E.g. now that we know that PcP seemingly isn't sending the WoL packet as long as one has PcP's LMS autostartfunction activated can it be "rounded" somehow?

Not sure if I would call my "problem" a "bug" but maybe sort of? Sure it first states in the GUI "LMS Wake-on-LAN" but then > "Transmits a Wake-On-LAN (WOL) "Magic Packet", used for restarting machines that have been soft-powered-down." which to me isn't really clear that what now has been shown that the WoL isn't sent if one have LMS running on the PcP Pi.

I've no idea how much work it is with things so hope I won't offend youPcP guys but maybe it would be a better function if the "Pcp bootup WoL thing" would send a WoL regardless if LMS is running on Pcp or not? Not sure what others think but I believe it can't be just me that have LMS on the PcP Pi and the music mounted via "Network disk mount" somewhere else on the network?

Would also like to say just forget everything I just wrote if it shows that it's just my setup that have this "problem".I mean I'm not sure how you other guys have tested the WoL function, e.g PcP's LMS runing or not?
    Last edited by doggod; 2021-01-17 at 04:52.

I presume you are saying that you need to WoL to be sent to the system that is hosting the music files not to the pCP that is running LMS (since pCP systems are not usually put to sleep).

If yes - have you verified that sending a WoL to it (music storage system) wakes it up?
    Paul Webster
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), KCRW, Supla Finland, ABC Australia, CBC/Radio-Canada and RTE Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    I presume you are saying that you need to WoL to be sent to the system that is hosting the music files not to the pCP that is running LMS (since pCP systems are not usually put to sleep).

If yes - have you verified that sending a WoL to it (music storage system) wakes it up?
    Yes, that's in my earlier posts. The server hosting my music files wakes up just fine with any other function/machine sending a WoL.

As said, problem is/was that if one have LMS set to autostart on the PcP Pi then the WoL packet isn't sent from the PcP Pi when it's booting up. (at least not in my setup, would be interesting to hear from someone else if it's just my setup?)

So a configurable WoL destination in Squeezelite or an LMS plugin to send a WoL whenever a player starts could do it.
    From memory there is a plugin that can be told to take action in events ... so making it call a script to send a WoL should be possible.

I think that a NAS that goes to deep sleep and only resumes on WoL is not great.
    I would have thought that a NAS that lets the disks sleep and then wakes them up on file storage requests would be better (ideally caching the folder listings so that it does not need to wake up the disk to provide them) and stalling real requests for X seconds to allow the disk to spin up would be great ... and I suspect is something like how my WD NAS works.
    Paul Webster

hi doggod,

Good detective work!

I will look into it to see if it makes sense. There are functions that are delayed in the startup process if LMS is loaded.

Your use case is something I would never have thought of. As piCorePlayer is getting more complex the combinations become enormous.

regards
    Greg