What player are you using?

--

Michael
  • markelhombre
    • Feb 2015

Sound distorts at 100%

Hello people,

I'm running LMS 7.9.3 on my QNAP nas.
    Whenever i'm turning the volume up to about 90 or 100%, the music starts to distort.
    It is easy to overcome by turning up my amplifiyer, but I find it a strange bug nevertheless!

Is anybody familiar with this kind of behaviour of LMS?

Comment

• markelhombre
      • Feb 2015

I'm not exactly sure what you mean, but i'm using a squeezebox Duet to get the music to my amplifier. My Qnap is running Qlogitechmediaserver 2.04.00.

Comment

• slartibartfast
        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by markelhombre
        I'm not exactly sure what you mean, but i'm using a squeezebox Duet to get the music to my amplifier. My Qnap is running Qlogitechmediaserver 2.04.00.
        What is your amplifier?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
        Living Room: Touch or Squeezelite (Pi3B) > Topping E30 > Audiolab 8000A > Monitor Audio S5 + BK200-XLS DF
        Bedroom: Radio
        Bathroom: Radio

Comment

• markelhombre
          • Feb 2015

Sorry for the late reply!

I'm using a Harman Kardon hk3390. But its nowhere near it's maximum volume. The problem only appears when i'm using my squeezebox.

Comment

• Ron F.
            • May 2006

I'm using a Harman Kardon hk3390. But its nowhere near it's maximum volume. The problem only appears when i'm using my squeezebox.
            Do you find this happens with all tracks that you play at 100%, or possibly just some? I think I have experienced something similar, in that I perceive when playing tracks that were mastered badly in order to sound "loud," and contain a lot of clipping, that the distortion seems worse when setting my Squeezebox volume to 100%. I am using a separate DAC, but possibly the result is the same. I found that the effect is mitigated by setting the volume to 88%.
            Living Room: SB Touch + DIY PSU > CI Audio VDA.2 DAC + VAC.1 PSU > VRX.1 cables > Emotiva XSP-1 Gen 2 preamp + XPA-DR2 amp > Blue Jeans cables > B&W 804 speakers
            Laptop: System76 Galago + Ubuntu 18.04 + Squeezelite + Epiphany/Material Skin > Emotiva Little Ego DAC > Grado PS500 headphones
            Bedroom: RPi Zero W + Squeezelite > miniBOSS DAC HAT > Bose SoundLink Revolve
            Phone: Pixel 6a + Termux/Squeezelite + Material APK > Senn IE80 earbuds
            Server: System76 Meerkat + Pop!_OS 22.04 + LMS 8.5

Comment

• Jeff07971
              • Aug 2011

Input sensitivity & impedance 200mV/47k Ohms
              That quite sensitive,

Its possible you're saturating the input of that amplifier Peak O/P (@100%) of a Duet is 2V (2000mV) (I think)

Jeff
              sigpic
              Want a webapp ? Get SqueezeLite-X ! https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...l=1#post903953

Comment

• Man in a van
                • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Jeff07971
                That quite sensitive,

Its possible you're saturating the input of that amplifier Peak O/P (@100%) of a Duet is 2V (2000mV) (I think)

Jeff

I agree with Jeff's opinion, this might help explain it to the OP

Sensitivity is a measure of the magnitude of input signal need for the amplifier to produce full output, at maximum volume. This tells us what signal sources the amplifier can handle

A pair of in line attenuators is called for here I think (assuming the OP is not plugging into the Phono input

ronnie

Comment

• slartibartfast
                  • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Man in a van
                  I agree with Jeff's opinion, this might help explain it to the OP

Sensitivity is a measure of the magnitude of input signal need for the amplifier to produce full output, at maximum volume. This tells us what signal sources the amplifier can handle

A pair of in line attenuators is called for here I think (assuming the OP is not plugging into the Phono input

ronnie
                  I thought the same then I checked the sensitivity of my Audiolab 8000a and it quotes 100mV so not entirely sure what that means. My amp has the same sensitivity for all line level inputs.

Living Room: Touch or Squeezelite (Pi3B) > Topping E30 > Audiolab 8000A > Monitor Audio S5 + BK200-XLS DF

Comment

• Stratmangler
                    • Oct 2008

Hello people,

I'm running LMS 7.9.3 on my QNAP nas.
                    Whenever i'm turning the volume up to about 90 or 100%, the music starts to distort.
                    It is easy to overcome by turning up my amplifiyer, but I find it a strange bug nevertheless!

Is anybody familiar with this kind of behaviour of LMS?
                    What happens when you set output to 100% fixed in LMS?
                    It's not the same as ramping the volume up and down with the remote control.
                    Chris :)

Comment

• slartibartfast
                      • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Stratmangler
                      What happens when you set output to 100% fixed in LMS?
                      It's not the same as ramping the volume up and down with the remote control.
                      Are you saying 100% variable volume is not the same as 100% fixed volume? Why would that be?

Comment

• Stratmangler
                        • Oct 2008

Originally posted by slartibartfast
                        Are you saying 100% variable volume is not the same as 100% fixed volume? Why would that be?

The variable hits an attenuation ladder.
                        Fixed bypasses it.

Comment

• Stratmangler
                          • Oct 2008

I thought the same then I checked the sensitivity of my Audiolab 8000a and it quotes 100mV so not entirely sure what that means. My amp has the same sensitivity for all line level inputs.

It requires a signal of 100mV before it starts amplifying it.
                          The Denon is less sensitive than the Audiolab, but both should be capable of handling full voltage output from a Squeezebox Receiver, as both amps were released after CD players had become the normal state of affairs.

My NAD C320BEE has an input sensitivity of 220mV, and can handle a maximum 6V input.
                          It's interesting that the other two manufacturers do not publish a maximum input figure.
                          Last edited by Stratmangler; 2020-03-16, 20:25.

Comment

• slartibartfast
                            • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Stratmangler
                            The variable hits an attenuation ladder.
                            Fixed bypasses it.
                            I didn't think a digital volume control used an attenuation ladder.

Comment

• Jeff07971
                              • Aug 2011

I didn't think a digital volume control used an attenuation ladder.

It doesn't, though I do not know if the Receiver Volume control is in the the digital or analogue domains

I expect its in the digital domain given the number of audiophiles fixing at 100% to be "Bit Perfect"

Edit: Squeezeboxes are all in the digital domain https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...t-external-DAC

Jeff
                              Last edited by Jeff07971; 2020-03-16, 21:31.
                              sigpic
                              Want a webapp ? Get SqueezeLite-X ! https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...l=1#post903953

Comment

Working...