Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    117

    Behavior if ARTIST and ALBUMARTIST tags are empty

    Hi,

    as I have mainly classical music, I use the BAND, CONDUCTOR, COMPOSER and ARTIST (+ ALBUMARTIST) tags.

    I also use the Custom Clock applet for Jivelite to display the tags I want.

    Quite often, it happens that tracks only have a BAND (with or without CONDUCTOR), but no ARTIST and ALBUMARTIST.

    In this case, LMS (i.e. the ARTIST field that is some kind of LMS-own combination of the track's ARTIST and ALBUMARTIST tags) shows "Kein Interpret" (German for "No Artist"), and that is quite annoying because in other cases, it is absolutely needed. I would just want it to be empty.

    How can I prevent this behavior?

    (BTW: My Workaround is to use only ALBUMARTIST and to display the ALBUMARTIST field instead of the ARTIST field, but I would love to differentiate between TRACKARTIST and ALBUMARTIST in some cases.)

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Cheshire, UK
    Posts
    5,437
    Quote Originally Posted by schup011 View Post
    Hi,

    as I have mainly classical music, I use the BAND, CONDUCTOR, COMPOSER and ARTIST (+ ALBUMARTIST) tags.

    I also use the Custom Clock applet for Jivelite to display the tags I want.

    Quite often, it happens that tracks only have a BAND (with or without CONDUCTOR), but no ARTIST and ALBUMARTIST.

    In this case, LMS (i.e. the ARTIST field that is some kind of LMS-own combination of the track's ARTIST and ALBUMARTIST tags) shows "Kein Interpret" (German for "No Artist"), and that is quite annoying because in other cases, it is absolutely needed. I would just want it to be empty.

    How can I prevent this behavior?

    (BTW: My Workaround is to use only ALBUMARTIST and to display the ALBUMARTIST field instead of the ARTIST field, but I would love to differentiate between TRACKARTIST and ALBUMARTIST in some cases.)
    Why donĺt you just add whatever you want to appear to the ARTIST tag?
    The appearance of No Artist or No Album is to some of us a useful pointer that there is a tagging error and I for one wouldnĺt want it suppressed.
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Boom
    Kitchen UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Everything controlled by iPeng & Material on iOS

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    117
    I don't mix between bands (orchestras, ...), conductors and solo artists because I would like to have lists for each type.

    EDIT: And with classical music, the number of artists for one track can become quite long and difficult to manage. Also for that, the usage of different tags makes sense.
    Last edited by schup011; 2020-03-06 at 03:28.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    373
    Is there some sort of placeholder that would be acceptable to you in the Artist field when there are no soloists? Perhaps an ellipsis, or a hyphen? Anything that LMS could recognize as content should prevent it from inserting "Kein Interpret". Since this behavior is a bug to you but a useful feature to others, some sort of workaround is in order.
    LMS 8 nightly; 3 Squeezelite players connected by powerline ethernet; 5 wireless players connected via Airplay Bridge; 1 SqueezeAmp player
    no high-end or esoteric audio gear
    1 Squeezebox Radio (upgraded UE Smart Radio) now mostly retired

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    117
    Quote Originally Posted by RobbH View Post
    Is there some sort of placeholder that would be acceptable to you in the Artist field when there are no soloists? Perhaps an ellipsis, or a hyphen? Anything that LMS could recognize as content should prevent it from inserting "Kein Interpret". Since this behavior is a bug to you but a useful feature to others, some sort of workaround is in order.
    Hey, very good idea! I am using a special space character now (ASCII 255), and this is recognized as content, and is displayed as blank!

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    373
    Quote Originally Posted by schup011 View Post
    Hey, very good idea! I am using a special space character now (ASCII 255), and this is recognized as content, and is displayed as blank!
    That sounds perfect. Much better than a cryptic punctuation mark!
    LMS 8 nightly; 3 Squeezelite players connected by powerline ethernet; 5 wireless players connected via Airplay Bridge; 1 SqueezeAmp player
    no high-end or esoteric audio gear
    1 Squeezebox Radio (upgraded UE Smart Radio) now mostly retired

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    260
    Related:

    https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...in-artist-name

    https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...3-tag-versions

    U seem to have found a workaround, but I wonder if there's a better way?

    Also I can't seem to find a post I vaguely recall where Andy said a file should have some tags, but maybe that was in the bug, idk.
    Using: Win10 64 + LMS 8 & Duet & ipads w/the logitech app, and ipeng on an ipod
    http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.ph..._Artists_logic & http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Compilations

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    117
    Quote Originally Posted by BJW View Post
    Related:

    https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...in-artist-name

    https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...3-tag-versions

    U seem to have found a workaround, but I wonder if there's a better way?

    Also I can't seem to find a post I vaguely recall where Andy said a file should have some tags, but maybe that was in the bug, idk.
    I am using the "ALBUMARTIST filled with Asc-255" trick. That works well for me, except for the little detail that the "Now Playing" screen in Jivelite always shows as artist " , " at the beginning because it wants to show the non-empty ALBUMARTIST as well. But given that I am using a custom clock screensaver there, I can live with that.

    I am not aware of any other solution.

    Well, all my files are tagged. TITLE, COMPOSER and ALBUM are always filled. And there is always some kind of artist, but that can be ARTIST and/or BAND and/or CONDUCTOR. That is a classical music specialty.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •