Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Behavior if ARTIST and ALBUMARTIST tags are empty

Hi,

as I have mainly classical music, I use the BAND, CONDUCTOR, COMPOSER and ARTIST (+ ALBUMARTIST) tags.

I also use the Custom Clock applet for Jivelite to display the tags I want.

Quite often, it happens that tracks only have a BAND (with or without CONDUCTOR), but no ARTIST and ALBUMARTIST.

In this case, LMS (i.e. the ARTIST field that is some kind of LMS-own combination of the track's ARTIST and ALBUMARTIST tags) shows "Kein Interpret" (German for "No Artist"), and that is quite annoying because in other cases, it is absolutely needed. I would just want it to be empty.

How can I prevent this behavior?

(BTW: My Workaround is to use only ALBUMARTIST and to display the ALBUMARTIST field instead of the ARTIST field, but I would love to differentiate between TRACKARTIST and ALBUMARTIST in some cases.)

Quote Originally Posted by schup011 View Post
    Hi,

as I have mainly classical music, I use the BAND, CONDUCTOR, COMPOSER and ARTIST (+ ALBUMARTIST) tags.

I also use the Custom Clock applet for Jivelite to display the tags I want.

Quite often, it happens that tracks only have a BAND (with or without CONDUCTOR), but no ARTIST and ALBUMARTIST.

In this case, LMS (i.e. the ARTIST field that is some kind of LMS-own combination of the track's ARTIST and ALBUMARTIST tags) shows "Kein Interpret" (German for "No Artist"), and that is quite annoying because in other cases, it is absolutely needed. I would just want it to be empty.

How can I prevent this behavior?

(BTW: My Workaround is to use only ALBUMARTIST and to display the ALBUMARTIST field instead of the ARTIST field, but I would love to differentiate between TRACKARTIST and ALBUMARTIST in some cases.)
    Why donĺt you just add whatever you want to appear to the ARTIST tag?
    The appearance of No Artist or No Album is to some of us a useful pointer that there is a tagging error and I for one wouldnĺt want it suppressed.
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

I don't mix between bands (orchestras, ...), conductors and solo artists because I would like to have lists for each type.

EDIT: And with classical music, the number of artists for one track can become quite long and difficult to manage. Also for that, the usage of different tags makes sense.
    Last edited by schup011; 2020-03-06 at 03:28.

Is there some sort of placeholder that would be acceptable to you in the Artist field when there are no soloists? Perhaps an ellipsis, or a hyphen? Anything that LMS could recognize as content should prevent it from inserting "Kein Interpret". Since this behavior is a bug to you but a useful feature to others, some sort of workaround is in order.
    LMS 8 nightly; 3 Squeezelite players connected by powerline ethernet; 5 wireless players connected via Airplay Bridge; 1 SqueezeAmp player
    no high-end or esoteric audio gear
    1 Squeezebox Radio (upgraded UE Smart Radio) now mostly retired

Quote Originally Posted by RobbH View Post
    Is there some sort of placeholder that would be acceptable to you in the Artist field when there are no soloists? Perhaps an ellipsis, or a hyphen? Anything that LMS could recognize as content should prevent it from inserting "Kein Interpret". Since this behavior is a bug to you but a useful feature to others, some sort of workaround is in order.
    Hey, very good idea! I am using a special space character now (ASCII 255), and this is recognized as content, and is displayed as blank!

Quote Originally Posted by schup011 View Post
    Hey, very good idea! I am using a special space character now (ASCII 255), and this is recognized as content, and is displayed as blank!
    That sounds perfect. Much better than a cryptic punctuation mark!
    LMS 8 nightly; 3 Squeezelite players connected by powerline ethernet; 5 wireless players connected via Airplay Bridge; 1 SqueezeAmp player
    no high-end or esoteric audio gear
    1 Squeezebox Radio (upgraded UE Smart Radio) now mostly retired

Related:

https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...in-artist-name

https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...3-tag-versions

U seem to have found a workaround, but I wonder if there's a better way?

Also I can't seem to find a post I vaguely recall where Andy said a file should have some tags, but maybe that was in the bug, idk.
    Using: Win7 64 + LMS 7.9 & Duet & ipads w/the logitech app, and ipeng on an ipod
    http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.ph..._Artists_logic & http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Compilations