Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bjoern
    • Mar 2020

5.5" display with Pi3+ PiCorePlayer & jivelite

Hi, for my streamer project I would like to use a fairly odd size display behind the Raspberry Pi3: 5.5" 2560x1440 pixel.
    The reason being that it would fit nicer into the front panel and wouldnt make the chassis too bulky.

My question is, how the PiCoPlayer interface with Jivelite (I would like those VU meter disigns) would handle this display.
    Has anybody tried that ?

Bjoern
  • ralphy
    • Jan 2006

I've only done this in 1920x1080 however, the 2560x1440 resolution should be supported with the Joggler and Grid Skins, if you set the resolution in the Jivelite tweaks.

For the VU meters, currently jivelite does not scale the images so you end up with the VU meters in the top left corner of the display.

Simply rescaling vu_analog_25seq_w.png won't likely achieve full screen VUs.
    Ralphy

1-Touch, 5-Classics, 3-Booms, 2-UE Radio
    Squeezebox client builds donations always appreciated.

Comment

• paul-
      • Jan 2013

That's pretty crazy resolution for a 5.5" display. I just picked up one of these https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/h...12569485443155 And it's not hard to make it work. The nice thing is that its the same 800x480 resolution of the Rpi 7" display, so there is no skin issues.
      piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
      Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

Comment

• gregklanderman
        • Jan 2006

I've been starting to think about building a pi based player with a touch screen to hook into a stereo amp.. can you post photos/info for the enclosures you're building/using for your 4" and 5.5" displays, Bjoern and Paul? I've been thinking the standard 7" is a bit larger than I want, but some of the other recent threads (1.3" Pirate) seem too small. The 4" you mention Paul looks great!

Comment

• paul-
          • Jan 2013

Haha, most of my boards are raw boards. I think I have 6 or 7 hanging around my desk where I do dev work. Some literally hang off of a POE switch

Pi0W
          Pi4b-4G
          Pi4b-1G
          Pi3b+
          Pi3
          Pi3
          Pi2
          Pi-CM3+

Plus a few in drawers and scattered around the desk.

You can find case designs that can be 3D printed.... but obviously that needs access to a printer. But you almost guarantee you have to build something yourself.

Comment

• gregklanderman
            • Jan 2006

Thanks Paul, I guess I shouldn't have assumed you had at least one or two non-test systems installed in your house or wherever for normal use.. :-)

I see now that hyperpixel display mounts onto the rpi board directly rather than by cable. Ideally I think I'd like something like what Pascal did here:

but with a bit smaller screen. I suppose the whole rpi and display could be held at an angle like that in some sort of enclosure, but probably easier with the display attached via a cable.

Comment

• Bjoern
              • Mar 2020

Originally posted by paul-
              That's pretty crazy resolution for a 5.5" display. I just picked up one of these https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/h...12569485443155 And it's not hard to make it work. The nice thing is that its the same 800x480 resolution of the Rpi 7" display, so there is no skin issues.
              Hi, are you happy with the resolution of 800x480 while playing music videos for example?
              That is my main concern, also that VU meters that emulate analogue instruments might not have sufficient resolution.
              Could you share some photos or advice ?
              Bjoern

Comment

• Yatsushiro
                • May 2017

Originally posted by Bjoern
                Hi, are you happy with the resolution of 800x480 while playing music videos for example?
                That is my main concern, also that VU meters that emulate analogue instruments might not have sufficient resolution.
                Could you share some photos or advice ?
                Bjoern
                I'm not sure that PCP will play music videos?

Comment

• paul-
                  • Jan 2013

Its plenty of resolution for jivelite, pCP doesn't play videos. I don't ever play videos on my Raspberries.

This is a post with the RPI7" display that has the same resolution. https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...l=1#post966922

Comment

• Bjoern
                    • Mar 2020

piCorePlayer Jivelite with Waveshare 5.5" AMOLED touchscreen landscape orientation

Hi, I spent many hours trying to get piCorePlayer to accept the orientation of my touch screen (display and mouse function).
                    The resolution is 1920x1080 and pCP is working actually fine however when I rotated the display by 90 degrees the mouse (touch function) doesn't turn.
                    So basically I see the mouse but left and right moves up and down.

I followed this website:

in setting my screen up and the calibration as well as a test right after the calibration worked perfectly.
                    The mouse is moving according to landscape format.
                    However when I boot and run piCorePlayer the mouse is wrong again (portrait orientation) whereby the screen is correctly turned to landscape.

I checked the calibration files and they were saved as requested.

I very much would appreciate your suggestion on this matter.

Comment

• bpa
                      • Oct 2005

Hi, I spent many hours trying to get piCorePlayer to accept the orientation of my touch screen (display and mouse function).
                      The resolution is 1920x1080 and pCP is working actually fine however when I rotated the display by 90 degrees the mouse (touch function) doesn't turn.

I followed this website:

in setting my screen up and the calibration as well as a test right after the calibration worked perfectly.
                      However when I boot and run piCorePlayer the mouse is wrong again (portrait orientation) whereby the screen is correctly turned to landscape.

PCP is a RAM based system - so unless files are explicitly backed according to PCP rules, the files are lost after reboot.

Cross posting is not good practice - this same query is on 3 threads now.

Comment

• HakushakuFreyHellsing
                        • Mar 2023

piCorePlayer Jivelite with Waveshare 5.5" AMOLED touchscreen landscape orientation

I followed this website:

Hello Bjoern it seems you are further than me i'm stuck on calibrating touch screen. Utility is on i need to point crosshair on the screen but there is nothing else on the screen and resolution is still seems to be too big can you help me with that please. I also do it following the same webside ... the only webside. I tried on 32 and 64 latest system with raspberry pi 4

Comment

Working...