Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

stuck on scanning for players

FINAL (HOPEFULLY) UPDATE: After doing the same thing about 6 or 7 times, it worked, and the music is flowing. Keeping my fingers crossed...)

I was walking around when suddenly the music stopped. All colors on the devices seemed fine, and the controller and the LMS desktop both showed music playing, and would advance and go backwards to different songs. But no sound.

I unplugged everything and rebooted, and now can't get the LMS desktop to open, or, the controller to work. I substituted a different receiver and controller, same problem. The light is "low white" on the receiver. The controller is usually white on the bottom right as well.

I usually was playing through "PC". I can't get that option to come up on the comptroller. How do I get that option back?

I had been using a wired connection from the router to the receiver. I changed that to wifi, and that's when the controller is stuck on searching for player, after it successfully connected to my wifi. I have an old router, only 2.5, so maybe that's a problem with the wifi connection.

I'm just really confused about all this, so help would be much appreciated!

Also, I've rebooted my Windows 7 computer several times, but it keeps going up now to 99% memory with only 3% usage, if I watch any video. I have eight GB ram. I don't know if this is relevant to my duet issues, but thought I should mention it. Thanks.

UPDATE: The controller now gives me the option to go to "Squeezebox library" which I assume is what the earlier version of LMS (I updated today) called PC. But I keep getting an error message that it can't connect, and i should make sure LMS is running, which it is. Or, the other thing that happens is, it forces me to update to 7.8.0, which keeps giving me an error message on install that there was an error.
    Last edited by basslover; 2020-02-28 at 07:26. Reason: update

My experience

I have had problems like this, along with other instabilities, that seem (to me) to be unique to duets, or just receivers. I have always thought there is something "not as stable" either with the receiver, or the fact that the receiver and controller communicate via wifi during operation. I do not experience the same with radios, touches, or booms.

I have seen the same thing as you, the controller seems to work, the elapse time keeps increasing, but nothing.

Anyhow, what I always do is to do a controller/receiver "reset". You will see it explained in other threads, but here goes. I have done it so many times, I can describe from memory

1) press and hold the button on the front of the receiver until it blinks red, fast. It will blink red slow first I think. Release the button, soon it will blink red slow. It is "waiting" at this point.
    2) with the controller, either do a reset through the advance menu, or easier:
    a) power down the controller (press and hold home)
    b) press and hold the "+" key pf the controller, and simultaneously press and hold the power/home button. When the buttons "blink" you can let go of the buttons and wait for power up.
    3) when the controller comes up, it should be at the "select language" point. If not, repeat 2.
    4) go through the process of selecting the network, entering password, continuing at the device registration, then to the bland home screen
    5) choose select players, you should see the mac address of your receiver, choose it, and it goes through the connection process
    6) The receivers lights go through a bunch of color changes, while the controller does "connecting", and everything should complete (fingers crossed).

I don't know why my receivers lock up, but it seems to me that the healthier the wifi, the less it happens. I have a receiver quite a way from my router, and it happens often. I tried to give a duet to a friend who insisted he keep his router in a less than ideal location, and it hung up so much, I gave up and got him a touch. I have receivers hooked to ethernet that I am not sure if this has ever happened.

Sorry for the rant, hopefully this helps.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
    I have had problems like this, along with other instabilities, that seem (to me) to be unique to duets, or just receivers. I have always thought there is something "not as stable" either with the receiver, or the fact that the receiver and controller communicate via wifi during operation. I do not experience the same with radios, touches, or booms.

I have seen the same thing as you, the controller seems to work, the elapse time keeps increasing, but nothing.

Anyhow, what I always do is to do a controller/receiver "reset". You will see it explained in other threads, but here goes. I have done it so many times, I can describe from memory

1) press and hold the button on the front of the receiver until it blinks red, fast. It will blink red slow first I think. Release the button, soon it will blink red slow. It is "waiting" at this point.
    2) with the controller, either do a reset through the advance menu, or easier:
    a) power down the controller (press and hold home)
    b) press and hold the "+" key pf the controller, and simultaneously press and hold the power/home button. When the buttons "blink" you can let go of the buttons and wait for power up.
    3) when the controller comes up, it should be at the "select language" point. If not, repeat 2.
    4) go through the process of selecting the network, entering password, continuing at the device registration, then to the bland home screen
    5) choose select players, you should see the mac address of your receiver, choose it, and it goes through the connection process
    6) The receivers lights go through a bunch of color changes, while the controller does "connecting", and everything should complete (fingers crossed).

I don't know why my receivers lock up, but it seems to me that the healthier the wifi, the less it happens. I have a receiver quite a way from my router, and it happens often. I tried to give a duet to a friend who insisted he keep his router in a less than ideal location, and it hung up so much, I gave up and got him a touch. I have receivers hooked to ethernet that I am not sure if this has ever happened.

Sorry for the rant, hopefully this helps.
    Jim
    Thanks so much for your reply. Those are the steps I always do as well, and did about 6 or seven times, until this last time, it worked...just as your reply came in! Your good vibes must have convinced my duet to connect properly, so thanks :-) (And anyone else with the problem has a real clear explanation of what to do)

Quote Originally Posted by basslover View Post
    Those are the steps I always do as well, and did about 6 or seven times, until this last time, it worked...
    Sure, happy to help with the karma....curious, when it failed the previous times, how did it fail? could not find network, could not connect to library?, just hang there?

My receivers are the only sb's that will just drop out while playing, and at times resetting them they come right back, and at times it's a struggle. I too have done the same reset multiple times until it finally works. As a result, I have kind of gravitated to the other players, including picore, and relegated the receivers to backup or a seldom used location (basement, outdoor speakers, etc).

Jim

Sure, happy to help with the karma....curious, when it failed the previous times, how did it fail? could not find network, could not connect to library?, just hang there?
    Jim
    All of the above, either singly or in various combinations. I meant to add, my receiver is ethernet wired into the router, so it's not a wifi issue in my set up. I did briefly switch to wifi during this episode, to make sure it wasn't a short in the cable or something.

Quote Originally Posted by basslover View Post
    All of the above, either singly or in various combinations. I meant to add, my receiver is ethernet wired into the router, so it's not a wifi issue in my set up. I did briefly switch to wifi during this episode, to make sure it wasn't a short in the cable or something.
    but the controller uses the wifi, there is no way to use ethernet for the controller . I mention this because in my novice assessment/suspicion (compared to the knowledgeable members of this forum), the issues with the duet could be due to the controller/receiver wifi link (disclaimer, I don't know how they communicate, directly or through LMS). This does not exist on other players. Its my thought that this contributes to it's instability.

I tried to get a duet working for a not technical and sometimes impatient friend on his crappy wifi, crappy dsl isp, and crappy cheap router, and it was always hanging up. It was a tech support (me) nightmare, not to mention having to talk him down from the belly aching. He was about to give up on sb, so I got him a touch from ebay. It's been smooth sailing since

Of course, if you don't use a controller, you use an app or lms interface, etc, and it doesn't help, my theory is wrong.

Jim

I have a duet setup with 2 players both connected to ethernet. Remote is obviously wireless..

Can you discover the players using an app on the phone ??

What about a web browser on a PC ? Can u get to main LMS landing page ?

Do you have only 1 wireless network ? Some env have 2 wifi networks to keep IoT devices off the main nw (Alexa etc)
    ----------------------------------------------
    Bill Clark, Windham, VT
    Logitech Media Server Version: 7.9.3 - 1591161343 @ Thu Jun 4 04:13:32 CEST 2020
    Hostname: ubuntu-lms - ProxMox Virtual Environment 5.4-3 | Ubuntu 16.04 xenial
    piCorePlayer | piCorePlayer v6.0.0 | www v0005 | linux 4.19.105-pcpCore_v7 | piCore v10.3pCP | Squeezelite v1.9.6-1206-pCP
    -----------------------------------------------

but the controller uses the wifi, there is no way to use ethernet for the controller . I mention this because in my novice assessment/suspicion (compared to the knowledgeable members of this forum), the issues with the duet could be due to the controller/receiver wifi link (disclaimer, I don't know how they communicate, directly or through LMS). This does not exist on other players. Its my thought that this contributes to it's instability.

I tried to get a duet working for a not technical and sometimes impatient friend on his crappy wifi, crappy dsl isp, and crappy cheap router, and it was always hanging up. It was a tech support (me) nightmare, not to mention having to talk him down from the belly aching. He was about to give up on sb, so I got him a touch from ebay. It's been smooth sailing since

Of course, if you don't use a controller, you use an app or lms interface, etc, and it doesn't help, my theory is wrong.

Jim
    Yes, I wasn't thinking about the controller-receiver wifi connection, because as you intimated later in your reply might be the case, this episode of mine occurred using LMS, with the controller not even turned on. I usually only use LMS. But I think you're correct that the controller-receiver wifi link could be a problem, because I've had trouble connecting the two, in addition to having the receiver not recognized (assuming those are two distinct problems). I'm very low knowledge about electronics, and I've been wondering, when Tidal streams into my router, does it go into my computer before it goes out the router to the receiver via ethernet?

Quote Originally Posted by kappclark View Post
    I have a duet setup with 2 players both connected to ethernet. Remote is obviously wireless..

Can you discover the players using an app on the phone ??

What about a web browser on a PC ? Can u get to main LMS landing page ?

Do you have only 1 wireless network ? Some env have 2 wifi networks to keep IoT devices off the main nw (Alexa etc)
    I haven't checked with a phone app, good idea if there's a next time.

I wasn't able to get to the LMS landing page until right at the end, before the problem resolved itself.

Yes, I only have one wifi network. Can consider a second as you suggest.

Thanks for your info.

The only time the controller talks directly to the receiver is during setup when the receiver has been factory reset. When you pick the receiver from the controller (should be referenced by the receivers MAC address) the controller gives the receiver your wifi network credentials (SSID + wifi password). Once this is done the controller works with the receiver through LMS, just like if you use the controller for and other SB device.
    Main system - Rock Solid with LMS 7.9.3 Official on WHS 2011 - 2 Duets and Squeeseslave
    Cabin system - Rock solid with LMS 7.9.3 Official on Win10 Pro - 1 RPi 3 Model B/Hifiberry DAC+ Pro/PiCorePlayer and Squeezeslave
    Squeezebox Boom - "At Large" player around both home and cabin
    Headphones and car - Android phone/Bluetooth w/full library on MicroSD card - PowerAmp music player app (similar to Material Skin)