Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by w3wilkes View Post
    The only time the controller talks directly to the receiver is during setup when the receiver has been factory reset. When you pick the receiver from the controller (should be referenced by the receivers MAC address) the controller gives the receiver your wifi network credentials (SSID + wifi password). Once this is done the controller works with the receiver through LMS, just like if you use the controller for and other SB device.
    Here is w3wilkes information from a previous post. I assume that this is true in wireless and hybrid, but must not be true for bridged.

The thing that is curious about your problem is after reset, the controller/receiver communication results in a failure when the receiver is connected to ethernet but no wifi present, however, when you provide wifi, it succeeds. I am not knowledgeable enough of what the inner working of the setup is doing to identify what is different, what your test indicates.

The only wildcard could be if it's an intermittent issue, and it was only by chance that it succeeded. Maybe you can try to replicate to confirm.

Maybe someone else more knowledgeable can comment. In the mean time, make sure you are standing close to the receiver with the controller when you are trying to setup. I have a receiver in my detached garage that I have to take the controller out there to get it working, but once setup, it runs off the wifi fine..

Jim

I've never done bridge mode as I have no need (and this type connection is actually discouraged in the manual, see page 16 of the user guide). My guess is that in bridge mode the actual control of the receiver is still from LMS or MySB.com and the receiver just works the same as a wireless router and passes the controller requests on to either LMS or MySB.com which then passes back to the receiver.

I did have a problem only once years ago where I couldn't complete setup using the controller and ended up using NET::UDAP from my PC which was successful. I've never seen that problem since. This may have been on older firmware in the receiver / controller, but was so long ago that I can't remember.
    Main system - Rock Solid with LMS 7.9.3 Official on WHS 2011 - 2 Duets and Squeeseslave
    Cabin system - Rock solid with LMS 7.9.3 Official on Win10 Pro - 1 RPi 3 Model B/Hifiberry DAC+ Pro/PiCorePlayer and Squeezeslave
    Squeezebox Boom - "At Large" player around both home and cabin
    Headphones and car - Android phone/Bluetooth w/full library on MicroSD card - PowerAmp music player app (similar to Material Skin)

Quote Originally Posted by basslover View Post
    Thanks for all this, I will work my way through.

Some clarifications: I have a bridged connection. I don't have wifi. How does that affect your analysis?

Also, I always connect using squeezebox, since I don't have wifi.

All my internet is working well.
    Update - I ran an experiment, and I was NOT able to connect my controller to my receiver (on ethernet) in bridged mode, but WAS in hybrid mode. Here's what I did:

1) I have a receiver that is hooked up via ethernet.
    2) I turned the 2.4Ghz radio off on my router.
    3) I reset the receiver (red fast them slow blinking), and the controller (power plus '+' on power up)
    4) After North America I was offered to connect via squeezebox or other network, I chose squeezebox.
    5) It showed me the mac address of the squeezebox that was reset as an option to connect through.
    6) Whirling "connecting" on the controller, then eventually the blinking red turned to, i think white (even though it was yellowish, I think yellow is more yellow). At the same time I her something "click" in the speakers.
    7) I was basically dead in the water there. When the controller came back with "try again" it showed me the receiver to try through for a moment, and it disappeared (?).

I tried it a second time, same thing.

I then went back, enabled the radio on my router, reset the controller and receiver, and brought everything back up fine. Interestingly, through wifi, when the red blink changes colors (and makes the sound in the speakers) it changes state quickly. I forgot the sequence, but I could do it again if needed, or, as you say, you can check on yours.

It seems to me that in bridge mode the controller does connect to the receiver (light changes to white, sound on speakers*), but then when it tries to get LMS to cooperate it fails.

Just a guess, but maybe bridge mode isn't the most popular mode to operate and something got broken in LMS? You might want to ask in the LMS forum, or contact Michael, or one of the other developers.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by w3wilkes View Post
    I've never done bridge mode as I have no need (and this type connection is actually discouraged in the manual, see page 16 of the user guide). My guess is that in bridge mode the actual control of the receiver is still from LMS or MySB.com and the receiver just works the same as a wireless router and passes the controller requests on to either LMS or MySB.com which then passes back to the receiver.

I did have a problem only once years ago where I couldn't complete setup using the controller and ended up using NET::UDAP from my PC which was successful. I've never seen that problem since. This may have been on older firmware in the receiver / controller, but was so long ago that I can't remember.
    I think we simo posted. See my other reply. I was not able to get a working system connected in bridged (as a test). I am not familiar with NET::UDAP, perhaps you could point the OP to how to proceed? Thanks, that's a bit out of my element.

Jim

I've only used the compiled version for Windows which doesn't require a separate PERL install since it's self contained in the compiled version. It can be found here;
    http://slim2lirc.myown.mailcan.com/udap_shell_1_0_0.exe
    There's a pretty long thread on NET::UDAP's usage that can be found here;
    https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...iguration-tool
    If you're a *nix user you'll have to follow the instruction for implementing NET::UDAP and also PERL. Don't know if a specific version of PERL is required.
    Last edited by w3wilkes; 2020-03-20 at 12:11.
    Main system - Rock Solid with LMS 7.9.3 Official on WHS 2011 - 2 Duets and Squeeseslave
    Cabin system - Rock solid with LMS 7.9.3 Official on Win10 Pro - 1 RPi 3 Model B/Hifiberry DAC+ Pro/PiCorePlayer and Squeezeslave
    Squeezebox Boom - "At Large" player around both home and cabin
    Headphones and car - Android phone/Bluetooth w/full library on MicroSD card - PowerAmp music player app (similar to Material Skin)